Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

Hi guys, I came here, b/c the last time I came here you guys where pretty handy when I was buying a camera. Well, now im in the market for a new ALL in 1 printer. I currently have an HP1215 printer and a HP scanjet 5300C scanner. Both are fairly decent. I am now looking for one unit that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. It would be good if I could get as good or better print quality than my current printer. I have looked at some of the HP models, but am really not up to date on any of them. I have also seen some brother products along with a few other guys. Can you guys help me out? Is there all in ones that are better than the HP's for cheaper or same price? Looking to spend upwards of 300.00. I have been checking out newegg also.

Thanks

Charles
charleslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:09 PM   #2

charleslong wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys, I came here, b/c the last time I came here you guys where pretty handy when I was buying a camera. Well, now im in the market for a new ALL in 1 printer. I currently have an HP1215 printer and a HP scanjet 5300C scanner. Both are fairly decent. I am now looking for one unit that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. It would be good if I could get as good or better print quality than my current printer. I have looked at some of the HP models, but am really not up to date on any of them. I have also seen some brother products along with a few other guys. Can you guys help me out? Is there all in ones that are better than the HP's for cheaper or same price? Looking to spend upwards of 300.00. I have been checking out newegg also.
I'm not directly familar with the HP 1215 but it takes the 45a and 78 ink cartridges.

You have the canon mp780. It's less than you want to spend. I spoke with one HP owner who was not pleased with the fax support, basicly from my understanding the only thing that comes with the printer for faxing is a driver. I was unclear what they wanted as far as fax software, I'm perfectly happy faxing from MS word.

I can only speak jumping from an hp 950 to the mp760, a non fax model (no review for the 780 on this site) . The springboard software was minimal, and multiable copies are processed through EZ photo print, software i'm not a big fan of using... and no fax support in the springboard software at all.

The big benifit of the mp780 is low cost for text printing. What you had was great, that $30 #45 tank provided a yield of 833p officaly at a cost of only $30ish. The mp780 takes a BCI-3e with an offical yield of 500p for $15ish. It's hard to say about the reality of the #45 as draft mode looked good enough for presentation where the canon draft mode is slightly grayish. Regular mode is good, really really good.

The other benifit is CD printing... not officaly supported in america but a handy dandy feature you can enable.

The big drawback to the mp780 is the fact that canon has it in their heads to offer a document/fax all in one and a photo/all in one, and not incorperate the features of both in one unit. For example I have the 760 with the slide scanner but no fax and no document feeder. The 780 has the doc feeder and fax but no slide scanner and no color screen and no card slots IIRC. Further my model has since been replaced by the mp800 offering higher resolution printing, smaller drops, newer ink. The mp780 has not and there is no replacement in site.

Having babbled on about the mp780 I have to admit the new HP PhotoSmart 2710 / 3310 looks interesting... hp switching to individual tanks and the vivera inks which are reported to being quite archival. To boot 6 ink tanks adding extra light cyan and light magenta to the mix. Canon well, to be fair, isn't archival really. Also both these models come with onboard wireless networking, where the 2610 only has wired networking. When all new PCs today come with network adapters and printers come without usb adapters it's rather up to you whether you want to spend money on a usb cable or a network cross over cable. Network cables are typicaly cheaper, faster, and can be up to 100m long.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:17 PM   #3

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
charleslong wrote:
Quote:
I'm not directly familar with the HP 1215 but it takes the 45a and 78 ink cartridges.

You have the canon mp780. It's less than you want to spend. I spoke with one HP owner who was not pleased with the fax support, basicly from my understanding the only thing that comes with the printer for faxing is a driver. I was unclear what they wanted as far as fax software, I'm perfectly happy faxing from MS word.

I can only speak jumping from an hp 950 to the mp760, a non fax model (no review for the 780 on this site) . The springboard software was minimal, and multiable copies are processed through EZ photo print, software i'm not a big fan of using... and no fax support in the springboard software at all.

The big benifit of the mp780 is low cost for text printing. What you had was great, that $30 #45 tank provided a yield of 833p officaly at a cost of only $30ish. The mp780 takes a BCI-3e with an offical yield of 500p for $15ish. It's hard to say about the reality of the #45 as draft mode looked good enough for presentation where the canon draft mode is slightly grayish. Regular mode is good, really really good.

The other benifit is CD printing... not officaly supported in america but a handy dandy feature you can enable.

The big drawback to the mp780 is the fact that canon has it in their heads to offer a document/fax all in one and a photo/all in one, and not incorperate the features of both in one unit. For example I have the 760 with the slide scanner but no fax and no document feeder. The 780 has the doc feeder and fax but no slide scanner and no color screen and no card slots IIRC. Further my model has since been replaced by the mp800 offering higher resolution printing, smaller drops, newer ink. The mp780 has not and there is no replacement in site.

Having babbled on about the mp780 I have to admit the new HP PhotoSmart 2710 / 3310 looks interesting... hp switching to individual tanks and the vivera inks which are reported to being quite archival. To boot 6 ink tanks adding extra light cyan and light magenta to the mix. Canon well, to be fair, isn't archival really. Also both these models come with onboard wireless networking, where the 2610 only has wired networking. When all new PCs today come with network adapters and printers come without usb adapters it's rather up to you whether you want to spend money on a usb cable or a network cross over cable. Network cables are typicaly cheaper, faster, and can be up to 100m long.

Hey thanks for your reply.. A lot of information to consider. I will check out some of the Cannon printers. I really wanted an all in one, b/c having multiple items on a small desk will eat up space quick.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

charleslong wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey thanks for your reply.. A lot of information to consider. I will check out some of the Cannon printers. I really wanted an all in one, b/c having multiple items on a small desk will eat up space quick.
All the HPs I quoted were all in ones. The big selling point for the Canon was the CD printing, but I can see where someone would prefer wireless networking.

I understand clutter. It's rather why I switched to an old style stereo stack and a desktop case... to keep my desk free of large clutter to make room for lots of little clutter.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:11 PM   #5

The brand new HP Photosmart 3310 looks like an AWESOME all-in-one, with wireless networking to boot! I've been salivating over that for the past month, and finally it's been released. I've been wanting an all-in-one myself, for the limited space I have for my scanner & printer.

Well I had to get a new printer, and was gonna go with the 3310, but it has the new HP 8250 printer subsystem in it, which is only getting mediocre photo-quality reviews. So I opted out for the Canon ip4200 printer for now. I'll check what HP's doing when I have to replace my ink next year to see if it's cost-effective to finally get an HP all-in-one. Hopefully they'll have worked the bugs out (what I consider to be bugs, at least) in the new printer subsystem.

But that looks like a sweet deal. Also, SAM'S CLUB has the HP Photosmart all-in-one 2610 in stock for $199. That's a great deal for a system that is getting great reviews. It beats the 3310's $399 price tag.
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:23 AM   #6

I just got my new 3310 from HP, and plan to set it up over the weekend. It has all the features that I was looking for. The only questionwould bethe photo quality of the new ink/head system. It should be great, but with any new system, experience and time will tell if the promises are kept.

I'll post again after I've had a chance to test it out.

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the posts guys.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:04 PM   #8

Please do, let us know! I'm very interested in both its print & scan qualities!

mgipe wrote:
Quote:
I just got my new 3310 from HP, and plan to set it up over the weekend. It has all the features that I was looking for. The only questionwould bethe photo quality of the new ink/head system. It should be great, but with any new system, experience and time will tell if the promises are kept.

--M
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:08 AM   #9

mgipe wrote:
Quote:

--M
Hey man any update on the printer? also where did you purchase it from?

Thanks

Charles
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:44 PM   #10

Sorry for the delay, folks. My schedule reached 25 hours a day, and I haven't had time to take the printer out of the box yet, though I have taken a quick look at the installation instructions! My first evening free this week will be Friday, so I intend to set up the 3310 first thing that evening.

I ordered it through HP Direct with free FedEx shipping. It actually arrived a day ahead of the promised date.

--M

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote