Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

My Epson R300 was working just fine, thank you, until I purchased my latest round of replacement Epson cartridges. (genuine Epson from Fry's)
All of the old cartridges always printed fine and this was my approx. 3rd round of replacements.
As the first cartridge ran out (Cyan, I believe) that cartridge quit working while all of the others continued just fine.
Now running on 5 cartridges, I thought I must have gotten a bum cartridge.
I purchased another and tried to install it, with the same result - no output.
Well, the other colors were all miraculously about to run out together and as the other color cartridges all ran out, I installed the recently purchased replacements.
All of the recent replacements have NEVER functioned. I used the printer for a while just printing in black ink until...the black cartridge ran out and now ...NO cartridge works. :O
Cleaning was never the issue, else why would the older cartridges I've used always work perfectly. I've checked for a punched hole and they all seem to have been "punched". Did Epson subtly re-design the cartridges so that they don't quite "fit right" any longer?
Epson says I'm now out of warranty, and I traded with my Canon BJC8200 which still works fine, many cartridges later.

I purchased the Epson to print CD covers and I haven't even had the opportunity to use that feature yet

I suspect that others may have had similar problems and am hoping to get some useful advice, even if it's don't ever buy Epson again.

is there something I'm missing?
intuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:00 PM   #2

I just looked at a used set of genuine Epson carts -- can't see any 'punched' hole -- could you give more info on it?

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3

Sorry!
I mean at the bottom of the cart. there is an opening from which the ink flows. I think I've noticed on new cartridges that one of the steps (as near as I can tell) that the printer uses to start the ink-flow process, is punching through this clear plastic membrane.
I'm going from memory here as I'm not looking at a cart., but I recall the bottom opening is a perfectly round plastic protrusion and the center of this is where the punch occurs. I'm assuming this little plastic 'nipple' is where a seal occurs to get the vaccuum process started.
I'm still figuring the seal process is not happening on the new cart's, else why would the 'old' ones continue to operate to the end of the ink, while the new ones never did, or do now, function.
Could be that these new ones need to be placed 'just so' if the design did indeed change, or, as I really and truly suspect, they'll never work again!

If I am misunderstanding how the carts function, I'd love to know that too!
Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:50 PM   #4

I think Intuna refers to the nozzle outlet that is usually sealed with a thin plastic film that is broken you push the cartridge in to the holder, I understand that this must not be removed as it helps to form a seal, you have to let it puncture the plastic on insertion.

Just a thought the Epson C62 tanks had a little label on the with a yellow portion, the yellow portion had to be torn off to uncover the 'air vent' or the cartridge would not print.

The Canon cartridges don't have a plastic film over the nozzle like the Epson, they have a plastic cover which you twist off, the reason I mention this is that I am not sure if some ranges of Epson cartridges use this proceedure.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:48 AM   #5

Quote:
I mean at the bottom of the cart. there is an opening from which the ink flows.
Got you now.

The current Epson chipped carts have a mechanical valve inside the outlet that prevents leakage when they are removed from the printer -- the feed spike opens the valve when the cart is inserted in the printer, when you remove it the valve is closed again by a spring.

Most of them have a clear tape cover over this hole, which I think is applied at the factory when they're made, just as was done with the older non-valved carts.

You don't (in fact shouldn't) remove this tape, just let the feed spike pierce it if it isn't already.

All the new valved OEM carts I've looked at (including the set supplied with my own printer) have this tape already pierced, which I assume is done when they're filled with ink -- it should have no bearing on your problem.

When you run a head clean, is ink pulled through? If so, it looks very much as though you have an electronic fault -- either in the heads themselves or with the cartridge chips.

Head cleans are done by a separate pump, not by the piezo units.

From your description of the way printing failed, I'd hope it's the chips (I had one (in an el cheapo CIS from Hong Kong) fail -- the cart was full of ink, stopped printing and head cleans had no effect. Replaced the CIS with the OEM carts and all was immediately well again -- didn't even have to prime the thing.)

You might try carefully cleaning the chip contacts, remembering that the chips are very static sensitive and the spring contacts in the printer are quite fragile (bend one of these and it's a workshop repair, which these printers don't financially justify.)

I did read somewhere that all the colour carts depend on the black chip circuit (a colour chip can fail and the rest will work -- black chip fails, all stop.)

I can't find anything in the repair manual about this, though.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:06 PM   #6

When you run a head clean, is ink pulled through? If so, it looks very much as though you have an electronic fault -- either in the heads themselves or with the cartridge chips.

It looks like they're 'priming' but there is no printing. The software shows that the cartridges should be ready to print.

Head cleans are done by a separate pump, not by the piezo units.

I (not lately, since I got disgusted with it) did several head cleanings. Same problem. All of the older cartridges printed till the ink ran out. All of the newly installed cartridges never printed. (They've also now been sitting for almost 2 months so I wonder if the printhead is now clogged as well.)

From your description of the way printing failed, I'd hope it's the chips (I had one (in an el cheapo CIS from Hong Kong) fail -- the cart was full of ink, stopped printing and head cleans had no effect. Replaced the CIS with the OEM carts and all was immediately well again -- didn't even have to prime the thing.)

Sorry. What does CIS stand for? I'm assuming factory replacement, somehow? Also, You say "I hope it's the chips" What do you hope it's not? :roll:

AND where could I purchase OEM carts in the US that would function normally and not clog the printhead? (I had that happen to my Canon BJC 8200. My non-factory black cartridge clogged the printhead (black only) and would not function until I replaced the printhead.)

You might try carefully cleaning the chip contacts, remembering that the chips are very static sensitive and the spring contacts in the printer are quite fragile (bend one of these and it's a workshop repair, which these printers don't financially justify.)

Should I really have to do this on a 'brand new' cartridge -or- do you mean the contacts on the printer/printhead itself?

I did read somewhere that all the colour carts depend on the black chip circuit (a colour chip can fail and the rest will work -- black chip fails, all stop.)

Remember my black was the last one to go and all of the older color carts worked fine. Just the new ones, including the new black (the last to go) won't work. They all register, just won't print.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:35 PM   #7

Here is where I wish I had the printer in front of me on the bench... I'll try and go through your reply in order:

1:
Quote:
I (not lately, since I got disgusted with it) did several head cleanings. Same problem. All of the older cartridges printed till the ink ran out. All of the newly installed cartridges never printed. (They've also now been sitting for almost 2 months so I wonder if the printhead is now clogged as well.)
When the printer is told to do a head clean, it will go through the motions -- whether it actually pulls ink through or not you can't tell, unless you install the external drain (very easy -- go here for illustrated instruction):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

If you do this and see ink being pumped through, then at least some of the nozzles are clear and it's not a clogging problem.

2:
Quote:
Sorry. What does CIS stand for? I'm assuming factory replacement, somehow? Also, You say "I hope it's the chips" What do you hope it's not? :roll:
CIS is Continuous Ink Flow -- a device that feeds ink continuously from external bottles to cartridges with special chips that auto-reset when the ink monitor reports they are low.

In theory you never need to replace a cartridge again -- note I said 'in theory' -- in practice there can be problems, but it does give you very cheap printing.

I hoped it's the chips because that's about the only thing you have immediate control of.

The fact that each colour disappeared as the carts (and chips) were replaced and not all of them at once makes me think this action probably has something to do with it.

3:
Quote:
AND where could I purchase OEM carts in the US that would function normally and not clog the printhead? (I had that happen to my Canon BJC 8200. My non-factory black cartridge clogged the printhead (black only) and would not function until I replaced the printhead.)
Just about anywhere -- OEM means (O)riginal (E)quipment (M)anufacturer (have you checked with where-ever you bought the carts in case you got a faulty set? -- it happens, nobody's perfect.)

A way to check this would be to get yourself a chip resetter (cost about $5 in the US), reset the original carts and stick them back in (there's always anything up to 20% ink left in Epson's carts when the counter declares them empty) -- if they work then you've solved the problem.

If that works, don't let them run dry, though.

I suggested cleaning the contacts because the current flow is very small and just a slightly dirty or tarnished contact could upset them, but the fact they're all recognised by the printer and none of them print suggests this is probably not so -- I'd still do it, though, just in case.

Clean both sets -- the chips and the carriage contacts -- because they're new doesn't mean they haven't been lying around a while...

Re 'after-market' carts for Epsons: There are many reputable brands about that won't clog your heads, some have even better ink than the originals, all are much cheaper.

Unfortunately, as with everything else in this world, there's also some cr*p.

Finally, if you haven't done so already, read through the posts on the thread I gave you above -- you'll find reference to a utility that lets you reset the Epson firmware counters and do quite a few other things with your printer.

Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:27 AM   #8

Thanks. I'll take the recommendations in the 'waste ink mod.' and report back.
I'll also use a contact cleaner on all of the contacts, carefully, and see if it does the trick.

I'm really curious to see if the 'waste ink pad full-shutoff' thing works in a cascading fashion, like I've experienced. I've not found this particular problem addressed anywhere - and if it works, I'll have a printer again!

Your help is greatly appreciated.
I'll get back to you.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:56 AM   #9

hi!

i had the same problem with an original black cartridge.
i found, that the grey door,which holds down the cartridges, must be the foulty part. when the cartridge is not pressed down, at the rear end, the valve doen´t open, so no ink can flow. i put multiple layers of a cutted tape on the rear upper end onto the cartrigdge, so much layers, that the cartridge is well pressed down, when door is closed, and it works fine.

greetings diddel
diddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:29 AM   #10

My money would be on the pump having disconnected or failed somehow as the key bit seems to be the priming function.

Seems someone already suggested modifying the waste feed into a bottle to check this so I'd be interested to see if this actually produced any further clues...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote