Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

Hi Guys, I'm getting desperate here.

I've got an Epson R300. Not had any problems, but haven't used it for about a month. You've guessed it, I've now got blocked heads. First of all it was the yellow.

I've tried the head cleaning utility about 20 times and now I've lost the Light Magenta too. I've changed cartridges (had to, I was using so much ink with cleaning, they ran empty)

Following instructions on another thread I downloaded the SSC Service utility and used the Powerful Cleaning, still with no Yellow or Magenta.

I'm now starting to pull my hair out and seeing how I didn't have much to start with, it's a major worry. Any help will be gratefully received.
paullacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:17 PM   #2

You don't say if it's total loss of the colours or just bad nozzle checks.

If the former it's possibly an electronic fault, if the latter it will be blocked nozzles.

If two or three head cleanings don't help, you can usually assume they're not going to work no matter how many you run and it's time for other measures.

I've had good results in the past from blue Windex -- the ammonia-based one -- not the other stuff they sell now.

If you can't get that, look for any non-abrasive glass cleaner containing ammonia.

To use, move the heads off the parking pad, put a few drops of solution on the pads, park the heads and leave overnight.

Next day run a head clean and see if there's any improvement.

It's also possible to feed some solution into the ink pickups (the spikes that enter the cartridges) if you're careful -- again leave it at least overnight to work.

I've also heard tell of folk cutting strips of lint-free! fabric, soaking these with solution and manually pulling it to and fro over the print-heads -- haven't ever tried it, tho'.

If the heads are quite dead (no sign of colour in a nozzle check) and the above doesn't work at all, about the only thing you can do is to very carefully clean the contacts on the cartridges (don't touch with fingers -- they're very static-sensitive) and the matching contacts on the printer (take care not to bend these -- printer's a virtual write-off if you do!)

If none of these actions help, about all that's left to you (unless you're confident with dismantling the printer yourself) is the nearest Epson service centre.

Edit: Something else I should have remembered:- These printers can also get an air-lock in the feeder tube to the head, some of the cheap after-market cartridges don't seal very well at the outlet and sometimes air will get in.

If there's a bubble at the appropriate point the piezo pump will just oscillate and do nothing -- it needs a solid column of liquid to work on.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but feel I just have to mention.

I had a c62 that was always clogging so much so it had to be exchanged, during a chat with Epson Technical in the Uk that you must never ever clean a Peizo head more than six times 'on the trot' or head damage will result - not my words but Epsons.

Five or six cleans is all that normally is required, leaving overnight in some cases helps to solve the problem.

The reason for the chipped tank is to prevent the tank from running dry, as pointed out by Idle, you get a air lock or the tank runs dry, what happens is you get a volume of ink sitting on top a volume of air which will damage the heads as the letter from Epson say's, these peizo heads rely on gravity and viberation to 'squirt' the ink onto the paper, the main reason for the chipped cartridges.

Just to mention.
One common cause for clogging is that the plastic waste pipe comes adrift from the underside of the docking section, so when you switch on or do a cleaning cycle the ink is not being 'sucked' from the heads, needles to say the ink dries in the docking bay.

This can clearly be seen if you look for a clear pipe under the docking area, lifting the top lid will suffice, switching on or do a cleaning cycle and you shoulkd see ink flow throw the pipe, if you don't see any ink flowing through the pipe then there is strong possibility that the pipe as come loose. This problem can be notorious with the C series the R series I can't say but worth bearing in mind.

The pipe usually comes adrift after fitting new tanks as I am told.

Using Windex does it not have to be diluted with warm warm water..?

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Using Windex does it not have to be diluted with warm warm water..?
No, use it straight -- it's the ammonia content that dissolves dried ink (there's already water in it.)

Just make sure you have the ammonia-based one.

I've not seen any cases of the R series waste pipe coming loose, but some people remove it to prevent ink loss from too many head cleans.

You do this at your own risk, of course!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:17 AM   #5

Hi, Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. Not to appear too stupid but how do I get to the parking pad?
paullacey is offline   Reply With Quote