Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 1, 2002, 1:08 PM   #1

Default 1000 - 8X10 Color Prints - What Printer?

Question: What is the best all-arround printer for the job?
1360 X 1024 format from Oly E-100RS.
Approx. 1,000 color prints over one month period.
8 X 10 prints
Subject is real estate. eg homes, buildings
The following is important to me - not necessary in the exact order.
Cost/print
Printer relibility/factory support
Print Speed
Print quality
Printer lifetime
Thanks in advance for opinions.
sambasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2002, 1:16 PM   #2
NHL

I believe the HP/Photosmart has the best cost especially with it's high capacity ink cartridge ($49.99 @ Costco). With 100 Epson Photopaper sheets ($19.99 also at Costco) I was able to do 120+ 8x10 per color cartridge, that works out to be around 50+ cent.

The head is also built-in to the cartridge so wear is not as considerable as other brand. Printers with individual color cartridge promess to have a lower cost, but I can't get their ink from Costco yet! Other brand has lower cartidge cost, but run empty around @ 20-25 8x10 per cartridges... and their internal printer heads tend to wear out as well...

[Edited on 7-1-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 1:21 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll look. The cost is much better than other options I'm aware of.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 12:11 AM   #4

Hello,
I have been printing real estate flyers for my wife since the early nineties. She carries between 15 and 20 listings at any one time. In addition I print about 60 per week double-sided 8.5 x 11 brochures that we distributed in local stores. Typically I fill a medium sized garbage bag with empty carts every few months. I have found that best solution is to go with an Epson printer and use the Continuous Inking System. (www.nomorecarts.com) It cost about $120 to install and about $11 per 4 oz bottle of ink, one bottle per color. They hold about 7 carts worth of ink. I have put a lot of paper through Epson printers and have not experienced any problems wearing out the print heads.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 11:31 PM   #5

Thanks very much for the information. I currently have an Epson Stylus Photo 780 that I was thinking of replacing because of the ink cost. It seems that most of my ink goes for cleaning the print heads. I'll check out the inking system.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 6:14 PM   #6

I donít have much of a problem with the print heads clogging. I turn it off when Iím not going to use the printer for a while.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:56 PM   #7

I always leave the printer off unless I am trying to print. I can't set it up to print more than one photo because the black print head will clog-up and leave bands or streaks. I can see the color ink carts go down at every clean. It takes as many as 4 or 5 sessions to get the black flowing again. Sometimes that won't do it and I give up for a while! Maybe I just have a lemon.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 2:18 PM   #8

The new Canon S900 is much, much faster than the Epson, if printing speed is an important factor. Cost per print should be roughly the same as Epson, depending on paper used.

Reviewers say Canon and Epson have the best print quality, but that is measured on the highest quality papers, trying to emulate photo lab results. If you are printing flyers on non-photo quality paper then perhaps other manufacturers like HP and Lexmark may suite.
travis_belton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:11 PM   #9

Thanks, I just looked at the Canon S900 and the S9000 today. It seems that the print time for a photo quality 8X10 is about 1 minute. That beats anything else I have seen by quite a bit. The prints that I have to generate will be on some type of photo film.
However it looks like the canon S900 will only hold one sheet of photo paper at a time. That seems strange that one can't set-up for multiple printing.
Thanks.