Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 2, 2003, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Vertical lines on photos with new S820

I set up my new S820 4 days ago. I followed all the instructions for setup, including print head alignment. I printed my first pic today, an 8.5x11 portrait on high gloss paper. The picture came out great except for faint vertical lines 3/8" apart. I set the print quality to high and paper setting to high gloss. Any ideas about what the problem is, or suggestions for fix would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Morty
Morty E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:49 AM   #2

Hmmm. I've heard of this. I think the big thing is making sure you have the right paper setting for the paper you are using. IF not you will produce lines.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 3:40 AM   #3

I have an S900. When I was using Kodak paper on the printer and tried to use Canon's Paper Pro setting I would get the vertical lines. The canon software already has the correct parameters for its papers, the trick is to use the right ones for the paper you are using (or simply use Canon paper only which can get expensive). Kodak has data on its web site. I tried it and most of the time it works successfully, though I can't get it to be borderless (using the Canon PhotoRecord software. I've been looking for other paper to work with the printer. Have been reading that Epson paper seems to work well (maybe even with Canon pre-set parameters).
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:14 PM   #4

Default papers for s820

papers i tried so far:

office depot high gloss: i perfect substitude for canon ppp. nice colors, and gloss.
office depot satin: so so, the texture is good, but the colors are a bit dull.
kodak premium: sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. not the best even if it works though.
epson enahnced matte: excellent colors, solid feel, very cheap.

and the winner is:

ilford classic pearl: cheap, but excellent feel, perfect color production, excellent texture and details. smells funny though)

in order to get rid of the lines, and banding try to find icc profiles, and printer settings for your paper. as an example office depot paper produced banding until i used the icc profiles i found on the net. after that, the output is just beautiful, like canon ppp.
fkocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 8:19 PM   #5

Default icc profiles

Sorry, I don't know what icc profiles are. Could you elaborate please?
Morty
Morty E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:01 PM   #6

Default john barnhart's profiles

you can get them from

http://wandb.com/icc.htm

download and unzip the file you need, and there is a text file explains everyting. if you are using w2000 or wxp, an easier way is to go to the settings tab of your printer, select custom prfile and load this icc file. then it would be selected when you print. this profile solved the banding problem beautifully on office depot glossy paper. i select both glossy photo paper and photo paper pro, and did not see whole lot of difference, so you can select either.

hope this helps.
fkocer is offline   Reply With Quote