Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:29 PM   #1

At the moment i have a HP Deskjet 940C its a good printer but it does'nt do edge to edge printing so if i try and print a photo on some 6x4 fujifilm premium injet glossy paper(has 6 stars on the pack) i get borders all the time. So i am thinking about getting a new printer, will be used for printing docs standard images on normal paper and i photo printing, it also needs to do edge to edge.

I was looking at the Canon Pixma iP6000D and the Canon Pixma iP4000.I have read the reviews on this site but i would like some input from people who have these or have used them. Any other printers i should be looking at??

Photo prints need to be high quality. One thing that worrys me is that the 6000D uses 6 carts which would make the cost of ink expensive right ??
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

Jedi Master wrote:
Quote:
At the moment i have a HP Deskjet 940C its a good printer but it does'nt do edge to edge printing so if i try and print a photo on some 6x4 fujifilm premium injet glossy paper(has 6 stars on the pack) i get borders all the time. So i am thinking about getting a new printer, will be used for printing docs standard images on normal paper and i photo printing, it also needs to do edge to edge.

I was looking at the Canon Pixma iP6000D and the Canon Pixma iP4000.I have read the reviews on this site but i would like some input from people who have these or have used them. Any other printers i should be looking at??

Photo prints need to be high quality. One thing that worrys me is that the 6000D uses 6 carts which would make the cost of ink expensive right ??
These models (iP4000/iP6000) are in short supply due to the fact that the newer models are on the market. If you do consider the iP6000 do look at the Canon i960
reviewed on this site. It's got more nozzles, but lacks CD/DVD printing, dual trays, and the spiffy screen. I see it on closeout and sites for between $100 and $200. Alternativly there is the new iP6600D which offers higher resolution and smaller drop size which isn't as limited at the iP6000D. But there are no reviews of this model, and few people have seen it or it's output.

The canon cartridges are $10 to $15 a pop, so your concern with the 6 tank printers is legit. This will increase your costs by at least 50%, perhaps more so ad the light cyan/magenta are used more than the other inks based on my experence with the Epson r200. From what I understand these are fill inks to smooth out the white between the dots.

Generally speaking users who want a general purpose printer, i.e. one to do documents and passable photos consider the ip3000/4000/5000 and the new unreviewed ip4200/5200. These have a dedicated larger cartridge for text. Text quality is good, really good, and really cheap. Not as cheap as some lasers but it's pretty dang good.

There are also solutions by epsons (r200/300/r800) and the new printer by HP offer inktanks with Vivera ink. I've read the drytime is higher, but Vivera ink while being dye according to what i've read lasts longer.

But there really is no replacement for buying a pack of your favorite paper, or the mfg reccomended paper, and going down to the store with your digital camera and pictbridge connector and sampling the images on these printers for your self. Most stores are most agreeable so long as you don't take the images with you. You get an idea of the quality and they get images they can show to customers.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:18 AM   #3

Ok thanks for the reply, i'll have a butchers at those other printers. For txt print outs i may still use my 940C. As for the ink carts are those 3rd party ones any good as they only cost about £3 where as the official canon ones cost about £8 each.

So whats this about the ink fading ?? dont all protos fade after some years even ones devoloped in stores ?? Are the printers they use to produce digital photos in stores differ that much from home photo quality printers ??
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:01 PM   #4

Jedi Master wrote:
Quote:
Ok thanks for the reply, i'll have a butchers at those other printers. For txt print outs i may still use my 940C. As for the ink carts are those 3rd party ones any good as they only cost about £3 where as the official canon ones cost about £8 each.

So whats this about the ink fading ?? dont all protos fade after some years even ones devoloped in stores ?? Are the printers they use to produce digital photos in stores differ that much from home photo quality printers ??
Ah the #15. I had some downtime on my canon AIO and had to buy a set of #15 and #78 for the hp psc 950. Lower yield then the old #45a but still the text output was good and crisp. I suspect that the canon bci-3e would be cheaper even with 3rd party ink but if your happy great.

Photographs might fade or discolor after years, decades, or centuries. Just think to your self some of the early western america photographs. they might have yellowed but for the most part they still look pretty good esp considering they were made in the late 19th century.

On my epson r200 I bought some cheapo stuff off e-bay. It faded in a week vs the premium stuff which well didn't.
The Canon oem on Epson Glossy paper faided in a month or so.
However, Canon on the premium spendy paper pr-101 glossy plus seems to still look good vs the lasermonks stuff I got for my HP which well faided much more signifigantly since 30jun2005.

I lack personal experence with commercial printers and dye subs. But needless to say there are vast differences in inks.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote