Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:38 PM   #1

I was looking for any info on connecting my Laptop to my Printer wirelessly. I have a Canon Pixma Ip4000 and am extremely happy with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Recently I was looking for an adapter to allow me to connect my Laptop (which has WIFI capability) to my printer without cables and came across the IP4000r which has such afunction already.Am I expecting too much or does such an adapter exist and if so is there one which can enable wifi connection on more than one device at a time?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Matt
Mattyfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

Mattyfinch wrote:
Quote:
I was looking for any info on connecting my Laptop to my Printer wirelessly. I have a Canon Pixma Ip4000 and am extremely happy with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Recently I was looking for an adapter to allow me to connect my Laptop (which has WIFI capability) to my printer without cables and came across the IP4000r which has such afunction already.Am I expecting too much or does such an adapter exist and if so is there one which can enable wifi connection on more than one device at a time?
I'm not familar with the device limit for WiFi. I know there are 11 channels and by default on my dlink unit the dhcp server is set to assign 99 addresses.

First you gotta ask your self if you want infrastructure (access point) or ad-hoc (without access point). (one user (Yonatron)reported success using an Apple Airport and ip6000. There have been reports of other wifi print servers that don't play well with the ip4000. Off the web I see the Linksys wps54G with a user that said they got it working with the ip3000.

One device that looks interesting is the Keyspan usb server. It's network not wifi so one would have to get an access point. It's also limited to usb1.1 support but it's not a print server but rather a USB server.

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardwar...USB_Server.htm

But the short is, there are adapters that will hook up printers to wifi. This is common enough. Not all play nice with all printers so it's not reccomended that you go bargin hunting without accepting some risk that the device won't play nice with your printer. Expect to spend $80ish for your average wifi print server, more for router.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote