Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:34 PM   #11

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Well, I guess this seems pretty unlikely to accomplish this here in the states. Canon certainly won't sell it to me. Anybody overeas want to help me acquire the i965 CD tray kit? What might the price (w/shipping) be? Not worth it, I imagine.

My forum has a guy that lives in Japan, he might be able to get you a tray A.

http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/...ead=1134548256
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:23 AM   #12

Thanks gamo62, KnightCrawler & zakezuke.¬* I did manage to turn my i960 into a i965.¬* Quite magical from my poinr of view.It does seem like getting the proper tray, even fom eBay, is unlikely, but can anyone answer these two questions:1. *Must* I use the tray guide assembly holder, or if I fashion a tray with the reflectors positioned correctly can I insert it directly?2.¬* Do you know if any of the other tray models that are available will work (B, C, & D?)Thanks for the great info so far.¬* It would be a great Xmas present to print on the DVD's I have made for my daughters.
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:22 AM   #13

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Thanks gamo62, KnightCrawler & zakezuke. I did manage to turn my i960 into a i965. Quite magical from my poinr of view.It does seem like getting the proper tray, even fom eBay, is unlikely, but can anyone answer these two questions:1. *Must* I use the tray guide assembly holder, or if I fashion a tray with the reflectors positioned correctly can I insert it directly?2. Do you know if any of the other tray models that are available will work (B, C, & D?)Thanks for the great info so far. It would be a great Xmas present to print on the DVD's I have made for my daughters.
Unfortunatly the place to ask this question, really really ask this question is http://www.druckerchannel.de a german only site. Knightcrawlers might have some english sites. What I personaly know is limited... totally limited to what i've seen on the web and pictures.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tray guide assembly holder". I would assume you mean the piece that fits into the front of your i96x. I would imagine it's required, or at the very least I would think it would have some form of trigger that would indiate door open or closed... and best assume closed if it doesn't exist. This is speculation.

But really if you already have a tray type B, why not consider investing in an ip3000/4000/6000. I know the i960 is cooler than the ip6000, but we are talking about a sure fire solution vs the one printer none of us really know about. But if you gotta have the i965...

TRAY GUIDE UNIT PN: QM2-0626-000
CDR TRAY ASS PN: QL2-0348-000
TRAY, CD SUB PN: QA4-1117-000

If you simply gotta have it, you can search the web for these part numbers, keeping in mind that -000 indicates new part. And you can always ask canonusa for these parts.

I remember something called the duplex method which I think someone found here and tried to sell on e-bay. You'd have to search early on in the big thread to find it though.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:29 PM   #14

This all makes for interesting reading, but has anyone gotten this approach to actually printCDRs? I notice that the "5 Easy Steps" http://pixma.webpal.info/ article includes a section for the i960 with the off-hand comment that the tray adapter and tray will be needed, but has anyone heard of this working completely?
aboczsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:47 PM   #15

I've been pursuing this pretty rigorously. Here's what I know so far:

1. CanonUSA will not sell these parts, or get them, for U.S. residents.

2. These parts are not available anywhere in the U.S. that I have Googled up-- not eBay, not PartsUSA, or anywhere else I can find.

3. I have about four emails out to places I found in the U.K. on the Canon website. Just sent them yesterday, so no responses yet.

4. The part numbers do show up on some German websites, but I don't sprechen sie deutsch, so I could not figure out if, how, or how much it might be to order the parts. I found no U.K. sites where I could actually get to a screen where I could actually order the parts.

5. It was easy, fun and interesting to convince my i960 into thinking it is an i965. New CD printing options appeared in Easy PhotoPrint and other software.

Here's what I **don't** know:

1. If I will ever get the parts-- and even if I do, whether they will be the correct parts. (one very kind person has emailed me that his business has a U.K. component and will check this out next week.)

2. If the Pixma CD trays will work on the i965 (type B, etc.)

3. If you absolutely need the "tray assembly" as well as the tray. I think the answer must be yes, but it seems like for the Pixmas all you need to do is shove the homemade tray in somehow and it works.

4. If I ever do find the parts will it be worth the dollars. At some point it will certainly be easier to just buy a printer that will do this, but it's still a "challenge" to make this happen.

5. It's not OK (I guess) to ask anyone directly on this forum to help by actually buying and shipping parts. Some have apparently abused this in a commercial sense. What I asked for (above in this thread) was definitely not a profit-making venture for anyone.

That's it. I'll post if I ever am successful in my efforts. In the meantime, I hope others will do likewise.

--Scott
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:04 AM   #16

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Here's what I **don't** know:

1. If I will ever get the parts-- and even if I do, whether they will be the correct parts. (one very kind person has emailed me that his business has a U.K. component and will check this out next week.)

2. If the Pixma CD trays will work on the i965 (type B, etc.)

3. If you absolutely need the "tray assembly" as well as the tray. I think the answer must be yes, but it seems like for the Pixmas all you need to do is shove the homemade tray in somehow and it works.

4. If I ever do find the parts will it be worth the dollars. At some point it will certainly be easier to just buy a printer that will do this, but it's still a "challenge" to make this happen.

5. It's not OK (I guess) to ask anyone directly on this forum to help by actually buying and shipping parts. Some have apparently abused this in a commercial sense. What I asked for (above in this thread) was definitely not a profit-making venture for anyone.

That's it. I'll post if I ever am successful in my efforts. In the meantime, I hope others will do likewise.

--Scott
You need either tray type A, a self made tray type A, or paint on white alignment marks on tray type B, perhaps even cover up the front reflectors on tray type B. I can't speak about the front panel that accepts the tray, not having a i960 I can't honestly say. I have heard of the passthrough method on these older models but I was more hip to converting my ip3000 over to the next level. But if you are looking to buy the front panel, do buy tray type A as well. We are talking 5 quid or so for the tray, so it's not a major expence. Shipping cross the pond would likely cost more than the tray costs.

The tray from what I can tell is the same except those reflector marks. So you "could" make them but i've not seen a flatbed scan of tray type A before. No idea where they are.

The problem switching prints is the i960 is pretty spiffy... more so than the ip6000 IMHO perhaps not as spiffy as the ip6600. I'd say it's worth $50 at least to get it to print on CDs if you want super spiffy CDs. Otherwise, think used or closeout ip3000/ip4000. Simply put your in the poorly documented zone... unless you speak German. The Pixmas are documented and it would not be foolish to consider one.

From my understanding of the moderator, asking where to buy stuff is within the domain of this forum.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:09 PM   #17

Scotious,

it sounds like we are on the same quest and there is definitely an element of "chanllenge" to it.I remember looking into this about a year ago, but gave up because there were too many unknowns. RecentlyI noticed the tray guide on ebay, and then this thread and the german article referenced in this thread. Ifound the Tray Aon a german site, and it looks like they may ship to the US butas zakezuke guessed the shipping appeared to be more than the cost of the tray itself. I am hesitant to proceed because I agree that the tray holder assembly seems necessary and I have yet to find one for sale. Now I also want to wait and see if you get any replies ti your UK inquiries.

Is there any downsideto converting the printer firmware to think it's an i965? I've downloaded the i965 driver, but I'm not sure I want todo any tweaking until I have tray hardware in hand.

Please keep us posted on any progress you make and I will do the same. If I do manage to score any pieces, I will be glad to share any and all details.

Good luck!
aboczsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:31 AM   #18

Just wanted to update the results of my search to find the tray and assembly for my Canon i965.¬* Basically, I have hit a dead end.¬*I had friends who travelled to London and Melbourne make a few calls, and neither could get¬* the parts easily.¬* They could have special ordered them, I think, but didn't. I can see these available on some German sites but don't have the werewithal to navigate in German to figure how, or even if, I could purchase them with an American credit card.One person on this forum was trying to get¬* them from his employer, who had officed in London, but I haven't heard any succes on that¬* front, either.¬*¬*I'm basically giving up, and will eventually buy a second printer to do the DVD's.¬* Certainly the Epsons are cheap enough, but I had bad experiences with Epson and vowed I would stay away.¬* As for the concern about resetting the printer firmware, that has not been a problem.¬* My i960 now thinks it's a i965, and responds to all print commands as it did before.¬* So ends my saga--¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:04 AM   #19

i've been trying to get this working on my i960, now i965. seems like there is a sensor that needs to be tripped

if you open the "hood" of the printer you will see to the left under a peice of metal, is some type of sensor. i've tried everything possible with this sensor to make it work, and nothing happens

it's also not a normal sensor, it has 4 wires, and a hole for the actual sensor
rbf351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:37 PM   #20

so i figured this out, the i960 can never print onto CD/DVD's even if you get the tray feeder.

we are missing a sensor that lets the printer know the tray is inserted, you can see the spot where it goes if you know where you are looking.
rbf351 is offline   Reply With Quote