Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

Gads, whata disappointment this printer has been.

I did the research, checked out the quality online and in the store. The C82 had the credentials and produced. So I bought one.

I took it home, set it up, and printed pictures. They were beautiful and I was a happy camper.

Three weeks later, I went to use it again and I had clogged nozzles. It ried to clear them accoding to the instructions. 10 or so cycles later it was no better. I ran out of time to deal with the issue.

Six months later, I wanted to use it again. So I bought new ink cartridges and had the same problem. I was pretty upset and I called Epson. They only told me it was my fault becasue I didn't use their very expesnive cartridges. A couple months later I went out and bought their very expensive cartridges. And guess what? I had the same problem. After another ten or so cycles, it wans't much better. I called Epson and they were not willing to help without charging me money.

I've printed about ten sheets of paper with this printer. That's worked out to be $20 per sheet.

Has anyone had similar problems? Have you solved them? Has anyone solved similar issues?

Did I waste my money? Should I cut my losses and just use an online digital film printer (like Snapfish)?

Thanks, Steven
PegBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:30 AM   #2

Inkjet printers -- of whatever brand -- are not devices for occasional use.

The time to have landed upon Epson with it was when it didn't print after three weeks -- no inkjet should fail after only that time sitting idle -- six months is another matter.

Having said that, you might try the Windex treatment on it.

Get yourself a container of blue Windex glass cleaner ( the one containing ammonia) or any other ammonia-based glass cleaner.

Move the printer's heads away from the parking position and apply a few drops of solution to the absorbent pads the heads park on -- don't apply so much that it floods over (not good for electronics...).

Park the heads again (by turning the printer off -- not by manually pushing them home) and leave overnight.

There are other, more aggressive, methods but this is the one to try first.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:26 PM   #3

Replying to myself (sign of coming madness?)

Here's a useful website for problems with printers - this thread concerns the C8x Epsons:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/26282

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:28 PM   #4
Administrator

I almost bought an Epson "all in one" last night at Staples.

It was the last one they had there, and the manager had it marked *way* down.

I wanted to see if it would work first. He happily agreed to demonstrate it.

Well, we tried the copy function and nothing printed on the paper (although it sounded and acted like it was printing, no ink came out).

He said, no problem, I'll include new catridges and proceeded to replace the old ones.

Same thing. We looked at it, tried everything we could, same symptoms (he said "it was just working fine a few days ago".

So, I pulled the memory card out of a pocket camera I had with me (just to make sure the scanner part of this printer wasn't the only bad part). You could watch the little LED flashing as it read the card for the "index prints" we wanted, and then it went through the same thing again (sounded and acted like it was printing, but nothing on the paper).

The manager, apologetic said he'd reduce the price even more (knocked it down to a small fraction of it's original cost), offering to let me try to take it home and run it through some cleaning cycles and bring it back for a refundif I couldn't get it working. I declined and bought an HP instead.

The last Epson printer I bought had a problem with frequently clogged nozzles. I promised myself I'd never buy another one. I came very close to breaking that promise last night (that printer sure looked "sweet" for the price).

Epsons can produce very nice quality prints when they're working properly. But, if you let the nozzles get too clogged (I have a bad habit of letting a photo printer sit for too long without using it), then they can be more trouble than they're worth.

I've never, ever had a clogged nozzle on an HP printer. Print quality may not be quite as good, and consumables costs are high. But, for reliability, I'll take the HP.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

PegBox wrote:
Quote:
Gads, whata disappointment this printer has been.

I did the research, checked out the quality online and in the store. The C82 had the credentials and produced. So I bought one.

I took it home, set it up, and printed pictures. They were beautiful and I was a happy camper.

Three weeks later, I went to use it again and I had clogged nozzles. It ried to clear them accoding to the instructions. 10 or so cycles later it was no better. I ran out of time to deal with the issue.

Six months later, I wanted to use it again. So I bought new ink cartridges and had the same problem. I was pretty upset and I called Epson. They only told me it was my fault becasue I didn't use their very expesnive cartridges. A couple months later I went out and bought their very expensive cartridges. And guess what? I had the same problem. After another ten or so cycles, it wans't much better. I called Epson and they were not willing to help without charging me money.

I've printed about ten sheets of paper with this printer. That's worked out to be $20 per sheet.

Has anyone had similar problems? Have you solved them? Has anyone solved similar issues?

Did I waste my money? Should I cut my losses and just use an online digital film printer (like Snapfish)?

Thanks, Steven
There is a man who frequents the newsgroup comp.sys.computers who offers a cleaning manual for the epsons, but only via e-mail.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....46fc47bf1709f7
Anyone who owns and epson are considers an epson should get a copy. Epsons can be fickle creatures and it's up to the end user whether they're worth it. The c82 IIRC is one of their models that is so cheap it might be more cost effective to buy another printer with ink. My experence with the r200 was similar though I had no issues getting mine serviced/replaced, though I had to wait a week for the guy at the shop to say "we'll get another one".

Those labs like Snapfish offer really good prices for 4x6 prints, so good that it's hard to beat with home printing even with cheap 3rd party ink. Larger, smaller, or odd sizes are where the inkjet may be cost effective.

Since you are printing so little, you might consider an HP or a Canon, probally HP. Simply put they use thermal systems that require a shorter nozzle and are less likely to suffer catastrophic clogs. HP has the benifit for most of their models having the head in the cartridge. Costs more to replace but replacement = new head. Epsons use micropiezo which has the benifit of working with just about any form of ink but a longer nozzle without a good solid gasket can result in catastrohpic clogging.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote