Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

Hi,

I've just read this article on using printer profiles with Canon printers, But I'm lost.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...June_2005.html

I use Qimage and understand the first part of the setup (printer setup - step 1).

I use Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and I understand that I need toselect either the Canon IP4200 SP2 or Canon IP4200 SP4 profile (or so I think). But how do you know which one to choose?? The settings one make at the printer setup (Step 1)is totally unrelated to these profile (apart from choosing the Photo Paper Plus Glossy as the paper to use)

Pleasy help
leonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:04 PM   #2

It looks like SP2 is quality of '2' (better), and SP4 is quality '4' (I guess not high quality). I would assume to use SP2 for that type paper (photo paper plus glossy).
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Will there be any difference between choosing any of the two profiles?

Say you chose a quality setting of 3, which one to choose then (seeing that one profile is for a quality setting of 2 and the other one a quality setting of 4)???

Thisjust doesn't make any sense to me.
leonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:49 PM   #4

Well the simplest thing to do is try both and look for any difference. Yes, of course there should be a difference. It may require some magnification to be oberserved though.

The lower number will print slower and with finer quality yielding better results. Speed is not usually an issue when quality is at stake.

Why would you pick 3 when you can choose a higher quality with 2, the trade offs are speed and quality. They didn't include 3 because there may not have been enough of a difference in the speed-quality trade off, so they offer 2 and 4.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote