Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:37 PM   #1

I've seen ink refill kits out there - has anyone tried and have recommendations?

1) What is your assessment of color reproduction? Does it match the original?

2) Any long term issues? The manuals always state that using off brand cartridges may affect life but I'm guessing that's just to discourage us.

Could you please include the printer type you have and the brand and/or description of the refill kit you may have used?

thanks for any responses
russperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:49 PM   #2

My experience is that is not worth the time effort to buy bulk ink for refilling.

It might be cheap, but do not forget to consider the time and work you have to put into it - and all the cleaning hassle...

I tried a refil kit for my HP ones, never again - the trouble of making a hole for the syringe, the dripping ink and the sealing procedure was hell...

And yes, the colours are not the same, they smear easier and takes longer to dry.

Then comes the potentional problem with clogged catridges.

If you want cheaper than original, get remanufactored / 3rd party cartdriges.
Webmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:30 PM   #3

russperry wrote:
Quote:
I've seen ink refill kits out there - has anyone tried and have recommendations?
Quote:
Could you please include the printer type you have and the brand and/or description of the refill kit you may have used?

Printer Canon ip3000.
Kit uses MIS inksupply.com
Cost $52.00
The kit is minimal. Refillable tanks with small rubber plugs that are a pain to remove, blunt needles that are too short, but the ink is good.
In all fairness according to tests the ink looks the same as "Image Specalists" and "Media Street plug and play" ink.
inkjetgoodies.com carries kits for about the same price but with double the ink.

Quote:
1) What is your assessment of color reproduction? Does it match the original?
Damn close.
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12198835

Quote:
2) Any long term issues?
In the case of canons the worst that can happen is the head can get clogged up, and the heads do cost a pretty penny, about 50% to 75% the value of the printer in most cases. But using a $50.00 if you make it through 2.5 refills you saved so much money that if you had to buy another printer it would be cheaper. A $60.00 kit contains the eqlivent of $200 worth of OEM ink.

Canons are accepted as the most easy to refill. Their cartridges are nothing more than a two chamber design with a wod of foam. one can poke a hole in the top and seal it with hot glue, but refillable cartridges are easier and are less likely to make a mess.

Epsons are not as easy but refillable cartridges exist for them in both the foam type and non-foam type. The non-foam type is a labyrinth often requiring negative pressure to fill. An accident with the syringe can result in some rather messy results.

HP old generation are harder but not impossible. I have no idea about HP current generation.

I have a list of links here
http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/10.html

Those generic refill kits you find in stores are not reccomended typicaly speaking. It may cost more, about $2.50/oz for bulk ink matched to your printer but it's reccomended. Wrong viscosity may result in quality problems, and a big mess.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote