Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:00 PM   #1

What are the main difference between a Pixma 3000 and a Pixma 4000? Quality wise for printing dvds and glossy photos do you think there is a difference?
phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:58 PM   #2

phillyman wrote:
Quote:
What are the main difference between a Pixma 3000 and a Pixma 4000? Quality wise for printing dvds and glossy photos do you think there is a difference?
If you can still buy either one. Both models have been replaced with the ip4200.

The ip4000 has two blacks. One pigment used on plain paper, the other dye used on photo. The IP3000 lacks the extra dye black.

I own both the mp760 which is based on the ip4000 engine and the ip3000, and frankly I have a hard time telling them apart. In theory if something is 80% black the ip4000 uses the dye black, where the ip3000 mixes cyan magenta and yellow to make black. There have been a couple of cases where I was sure I saw a blotch of pigmented black on photos I printed... so I can't say with 100% accuracy how the printer always behaves. As a composite black must be used it's reasonable to assume the ip3000 would use up color faster, but not in any way I can measure with ease.

According to the specs the ip4000 is faster than the ip3000, but i've never taken the time to measure it vs my mp760.

In my case, I picked the ip3000 because it was priced $65 and I wanted to spend as little as possible to test to see if I could enable CD printing. These days it's hard to find new for less then $100.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
phillyman wrote:
Quote:
If you can still buy either one. Both models have been replaced with the ip4200.

The ip4000 has two blacks. One pigment used on plain paper, the other dye used on photo. The IP3000 lacks the extra dye black.

I own both the mp760 which is based on the ip4000 engine and the ip3000, and frankly I have a hard time telling them apart. In theory if something is 80% black the ip4000 uses the dye black, where the ip3000 mixes cyan magenta and yellow to make black. There have been a couple of cases where I was sure I saw a blotch of pigmented black on photos I printed... so I can't say with 100% accuracy how the printer always behaves. As a composite black must be used it's reasonable to assume the ip3000 would use up color faster, but not in any way I can measure with ease.

According to the specs the ip4000 is faster than the ip3000, but i've never taken the time to measure it vs my mp760.

In my case, I picked the ip3000 because it was priced $65 and I wanted to spend as little as possible to test to see if I could enable CD printing. These days it's hard to find new for less then $100.

Newegg still sells the IP3000 for $80 and of course their is always eBay.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
Newegg still sells the IP3000 for $80 and of course their is always eBay.
"Out Of Stock" on newegg. Still that's a new entry so they must have had a few, or plan to get more. E-bay you are likely to find the ip3000 for the $60ish range which is a fair bit cheaper than a new ip4200.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote