Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:17 AM   #1

Anyone use and have good success with spraying a protective coat on their DVD inkjet printables? Looking for some real world experience, thanks.
chetspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:16 AM   #2

i have tried several different ones Krylon etc etc the one that work best for me was Pat Nimmicks which i got from Walmart. I take the top off a cd case put the dvd in that then put it in a box so i dont gett much of the spray on the floor, i spray a light coat from about 3 to4 feet away.
phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:30 AM   #3

Thanks Phillyman. I was going to make a holder/stand out of an old spindle stack. I like the overspray box idea and will use it with that.

I have some Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear that I am going to try. Looking atKrylon's site I migth try this as well

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:14 PM   #4

Krylon #1305 works great.

Use an old dvd case as a mount for your dvd to be sprayed..

Personally I like the one from blockbuster. The center circle is longer and it has another circle that basically seals the edges of the dvd disk, protecting the bottom from the spray. It also has indentations so you can remove the disc without touching the top.

Also use one of the foam spacers from a hunderd count spindle to cover the center hub (depending on the size)(use as needed)

Spray 10 to 12 inches away from the disc and start and finish each pass outside of the disk about 5 inches or more.

Let stand for about an hour before placing it in a dvd case. Ready to use in 24 hours.

Wear a mask! That stuff is toxic.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5

Thanks weapon, the dvd case is a good idea and might go to that. I used an old spindle and cut down the cover/top and put a hole for the spindle to go through so it comes out the top. Works well enough.

I sprayed about 60 of my 'backups' the other day with the Krylon #1303 I had and am amazed with the results. It really brought out some of the covers colors and they look great.

Thanks again for all your recommendations guys.