Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:24 PM   #1

I was at Compusa today looking at the Canon ip4200. The rep said that the Epson printers are better quality wise than the Canon. He said the Epson R200 is better than the Pixma ip4200. How is that possible? Specs for pixma

color res is 9600x2400

arent the nozzles like 1 pico.,

Epson R200 specs

5760x1440

nozzles 3 pico?

If it is better is it because of the 6 tanks the epson uses? Please tell me it isnt true.
phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

He just wants to sell you the epson.¬*The r200 is not better than the canon. Epson consumer models are crap. Clogging heads, brutal ink prices and now limited 3rd party inks. The only thing the r200 has going for it is that cd printing is included out of the box. But the people here¬* have taken care of that problem with the canons. Just buy a canon and don't look back.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:45 PM   #3

Only good Epson is a dead Epson.
Attached Images

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:44 PM   #4

My r200 just died with clogged nozzles as well, it was 13 months old, just outside of the warranty period!

I'm on my third canon now, the ip4200, none of my old canons have died (i850, i960) I gave them away.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:22 PM   #5

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
Only good Epson is a dead Epson.
The best and funniest picture ever on this forum! :G
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:33 PM   #6

I have a Canon iP4200 and Epson R210 (R200). I cannot see much in itwith identical test prints, despite the Canon hype - just because it can print at 9600 dpi does not mean the prints will always be better. I have a continuous flow system on theEpson and have done at least 20,000 pages on it, colour prints still look as good as the original. The purge tank is easily diverted outside the printerand a once in a while cleaning of the rubber pinch wheel for the paper feed is required, and the printer just keeps going and going, amazing. I cannot see any difference between Epson orginal inks and the compatible inks I am using and full page borderless A4 colour prints cost me about A$0.15 per print. As for Canon iP4200, there are no compatible cartridges yet available, the orginals can be refilled but the chip has to be disabled which also disables the status monitor and invalidates the warranty. Cleaning the purge tank is difficult andinstalling a continuous flow system is feasible but difficult because of tight spaces between the cartridges and the case. To add insult to injury, the new cartridges are smaller in capacity and cost more (A$27 each). Using original Canon cartridges to do A4 colour prints (because refillling is not a good option and the invalidated warranty issue) will cost you at least A$3 per print - the Epson R210 cost me A$0.15 per print - go figure
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:01 PM   #7

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I have a Canon iP4200 and Epson R210 (R200). I cannot see much in itwith identical test prints, despite the Canon hype - just because it can print at 9600 dpi does not mean the prints will always be better. I have a continuous flow system on theEpson and have done at least 20,000 pages on it, colour prints still look as good as the original. The purge tank is easily diverted outside the printerand a once in a while cleaning of the rubber pinch wheel for the paper feed is required, and the printer just keeps going and going, amazing. I cannot see any difference between Epson orginal inks and the compatible inks I am using and full page borderless A4 colour prints cost me about A$0.15 per print. As for Canon iP4200, there are no compatible cartridges yet available, the orginals can be refilled but the chip has to be disabled which also disables the status monitor and invalidates the warranty. Cleaning the purge tank is difficult andinstalling a continuous flow system is feasible but difficult because of tight spaces between the cartridges and the case. To add insult to injury, the new cartridges are smaller in capacity and cost more (A$27 each). Using original Canon cartridges to do A4 colour prints (because refillling is not a good option and the invalidated warranty issue) will cost you at least A$3 per print - the Epson R210 cost me A$0.15 per print - go figure

The IP4000 can use generic ink carts and at $1 to $4 per cart it's really obsolete to try and refill or use a CIS for most people. The CIS don't come that cheap either.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:53 PM   #8

phillyman wrote:
Quote:
I was at Compusa today looking at the Canon ip4200. The rep said that the Epson printers are better quality wise than the Canon. He said the Epson R200 is better than the Pixma ip4200. How is that possible? Specs for pixma

color res is 9600x2400

arent the nozzles like 1 pico.,

Epson R200 specs

5760x1440

nozzles 3 pico?

If it is better is it because of the 6 tanks the epson uses? Please tell me it isnt true.
Specs will only get you so far. 3pl while a larger drop offers greater coverage. Uses more ink but offers very smooth prints.

I've not seen the output from the ip4200. But I have to admit epson, even the r200 has a few things going for it. In contrast to an ip4000 the color output is stunning. Prints look good on most media types, where the canon I find I have to tweek with the color bar more. All and all as a photo printer I prefer the r200 except for the following issues.

1. Ink waste. I have "never" had a inkjet printer who's diaper filled up in under 6 months.
2. Head clogging. Proper operation requires a gasket when the printer is not in use, a gasket that always seems to get knocked out of place. There are ways to clean the head, but on a good day most epsons require more maintance than others.
3. Shabby construction. The r200 is so cheap that a diaper replacement requires breaking the shell and buying a new shell.

If it wasn't for these factors i'd still be using mine.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:01 AM   #9

Canon iP4200 is not the same as Canon iP4000, the cartridges on iP4200 are chipped and smaller ink capacity, Canon has put a lot of thought into how to prevent the iP4200 from using refilled inks, it can be done, but Canon will know and this warning is presented on the screen if you want to proceed to the refilling stage
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:10 AM   #10

Diverting the waste tank on Epson R210 (R200), takes about 10 minutes - easy. A software programme is needed to reset the purge tank counter, this topic is covered elsewhere in this forum.I have never had a problem with R210 clogging, maybe it is the inks I use and always using the printer. An occassional head clean is needed to keep the print quality up, but if using a continuous flow system , the cost of the ink wasted is not an issue