Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:45 AM   #1

Jusr wondering if anyone can share some light on how succesful using pictbridge is.
My grandfather would like to get back into photography, I would like him too and have told him that I would print his pictures for him if he wanted. Being the old sort he is declined saying I wouldnt want to burden you etc.

So next line of attack would be to get him using pictbridge. Now having never used it on my 10d / i965 i have no epxerience of how easy this would be. Murphy's law, I cant find my cable for my 10d to try it myself. SO just wondering if anyone using it can sahre their experiences.

I nearly got him a canon mp130 that take cards straight in but but then read somewhere that the you have even less control over the picture. I was hoping that using pictbridge you may have a little editing ie lighten / darken.

So if anyone could spare a couple of minutes Id appreciate it.

Or if there are any articles out there please point me to them, ive googled but cant find much except for white papers.

Smudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2
JPL

Try this for starters:

http://www.digicamhelp.com/what-is-pictbridge/
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:25 PM   #3

Smudger wrote:
Quote:
Jusr wondering if anyone can share some light on how succesful using pictbridge is.
My grandfather would like to get back into photography, I would like him too and have told him that I would print his pictures for him if he wanted. Being the old sort he is declined saying I wouldnt want to burden you etc.

So next line of attack would be to get him using pictbridge. Now having never used it on my 10d / i965 i have no epxerience of how easy this would be. Murphy's law, I cant find my cable for my 10d to try it myself. SO just wondering if anyone using it can sahre their experiences.

I nearly got him a canon mp130 that take cards straight in but but then read somewhere that the you have even less control over the picture. I was hoping that using pictbridge you may have a little editing ie lighten / darken.

So if anyone could spare a couple of minutes Id appreciate it.

Or if there are any articles out there please point me to them, ive googled but cant find much except for white papers.
The older generation understands physical things better than electronic ones. Put the record on turn table, put the tape in the player, and put the card in the slot. PictBridge is pretty handy... but what I have to say is more handy was a feature the HP 950 had 5 years ago. Printing off a proofsheet and allowing you the user to put little checkboxes on the pictures you wanted to print. While using this method there is less in the way of control, it's more likely to be used. Looks like the newer HP printers with memory slots have this feature as well.
Attached Images

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:24 AM   #4

Thats excellent help, And many thanks. I managed to download the user instructions from the american webbsite and it uses that sheet layout. For my grandfather I really think he will get on nicely with using that, it seems simple and straightforward.

He has been very interested in digital for a while but the computer side has put him off and not wanting to burden the family. This unit I feel he will get on really well and rouse his interest again.

Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5

Smudger wrote:
Quote:
Thats excellent help, And many thanks. I managed to download the user instructions from the american webbsite and it uses that sheet layout. For my grandfather I really think he will get on nicely with using that, it seems simple and straightforward.

He has been very interested in digital for a while but the computer side has put him off and not wanting to burden the family. This unit I feel he will get on really well and rouse his interest again.
The only "flaw" I can see is it sort of makes someone dependent on the images on the memory stick to use that feature. But I know on my canon mp760 the memory card is read like a standard drive, and windows xp brings up a helpful window by default "what do you want to do with these images" and one option is to copy them to "my documents". I don't know how the current photosmart series is rigged, the old 950 had a option to copy from PC card to PC save. From there it should be easy to burn a disc when again, you pop it in and by default windows pops up and asks "these are pictures what do you want to do".

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote