Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:42 PM   #1

I had great expectations when I heard that HP were introducing their first consumre ink jets with seperate ink.
But after reading the 8250 review on dcresource.com and cnet.com, I am very dissapointed to hear their claims that the previous model it replaced made better prints.

I have for almost 6 years owned a HP Desktjet 970 and it is still going strong and making great prints, despite only being a 4 colour printer.
I can live with the quality of the 970, but if I am upgrading, I sure would like to get something that is noticable better.

And as I use mainly linux, there is no other choice than HP. And I would like my next printe to be an all-in-one for desktop space reasons.

I know drivers are important when it comes to print quality, so maybe there is still hope.

But I would like to hear about peoples experiences with these new printers from HP, are they really that bad???
Webmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2

No, they're actually pretty darn good. I'm sure that you will appreciate the improvement over the 970. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

I think the Epson R800/1800 and HP 8450/8750 are currently the top of the heap for photo printing. However, the differences between these and the next tier are very small.

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

I am using the 8250 and enjoying the results. Most of my printing has been done on the Preimum Plus Glossy paper, not the advanced paper. I did do a couple of 4.x6's with the advanced paper and the results were not very impressive. My only complaint with the Preimum Plus paper is the long drying time which is 7 days according to HP. Even then, on about 10% of the photos I would have trouble with photos sticking to the album pages. I am going to try the semi-gloss version of this paper to see if it is any better with the sticking issues. Just a word of caution, if you use HP Preimum-Plus paper any of the speed claims for the the 8250 are null and void, that speed only comes with the advanced photo paper. However for 105 year longievity, I guess I can wait 2-3 minutes for an 8.5X11 sheet to be printed.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:54 PM   #4

wow 7 days! - Do you have an URL to a source regarding this?? Sounds way off...

I do not care about print speed, the Deskjet 970 is fast enough for me :-)

My Deskjet 970 had 42mL black and 19/38mL colour... so sad to see the new minimalistec catridges.... :sad:

The only thing preventing me from running out and getting a 3310 is the bad press about grainy prints from cnet.com and dcresource.com .....

WJL100 wrote:
Quote:
I am using the 8250 and enjoying the results. Most of my printing has been done on the Preimum Plus Glossy paper, not the advanced paper. I did do a couple of 4.x6's with the advanced paper and the results were not very impressive. My only complaint with the Preimum Plus paper is the long drying time which is 7 days according to HP. Even then, on about 10% of the photos I would have trouble with photos sticking to the album pages. I am going to try the semi-gloss version of this paper to see if it is any better with the sticking issues. Just a word of caution, if you use HP Preimum-Plus paper any of the speed claims for the the 8250 are null and void, that speed only comes with the advanced photo paper. However for 105 year longievity, I guess I can wait 2-3 minutes for an 8.5X11 sheet to be printed.

WJL100
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:37 PM   #5

I received my 3210 Monday 10/31. I think it is fantastic! I've had an Epson Photo 700 for several years and decided it was time for a change. So goneare the Epson 700, my Microtek E3 scanner, and my SanDisk compact flash reader. The photos off the 3210 look outstanding. Although it is not billed as a 4 in 1 (no fax) one of the options available using the Scan button is to "Scan toFax". It will send single or multiple pages to the XP fax printer. Text print is fine and it's fast. I especially like the ability to load both letter and 4x6 photo paper at the same time. Given my Microtek SCSI scanner was really on target as far as reproducing colors I was a little apprehensive about replacing it., but the 3210 is just as good and just as fast. When a memory cardis inserted into the printerit shows up as a removable drive in explorer so you can pick and choose any photos you want to transfer to the PC. I just picked up a "Value Pack" from Staples for $36.00. That's all six ink cartridges plus 150 sheets of 4x6 photo paper. So far, as you can probably tell, I'm impressed.

dadof4
dadof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:14 AM   #6

Thank you dadof4 for your input,

I am myself now looking at the 3210, as I do not need fax and I think I can live with the smaller display.

Just one thing - does it print borderless from the mem cards??? The last generation did not.

btw - are you the "dad of four" from dcpreview.com ? :-)
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:08 AM   #7

Webmonkey,

I just printed a borderless 4x6 directly from the memory card. It's an option on the menu. The more I use this printer the more I like it...and I'm pretty fussy.

I'm a member ofdcpreview but I'm "dadof4" not "dad of four".

Regards...dadof4
dadof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

thank you so much.

The 3210 is on the top of my list for this xmas....