Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 15, 2003, 1:52 AM   #11

If you really want the i950, here's the best price I could find, ($227.79),with 'free' ground shipping and a 'gold' rating from resellerratings.com...Johnny
http://www.2buystore.com/shopdisplay...39713&Ref=CNET
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:01 AM   #12

I found that hi touch printer on ebay for 149 plus 14 for shipping.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:02 PM   #13

Default a good 'ol bjc-8200 + a good story

I recently had the itch for a new printer because of the news of the i950. I called best buy up and was told thay should have them on sat...great, can I bring my card reader and have you hook it to a winxp machine for me to do a couple test prints......it will have to very early but yes we can.
I printed 2 8x10's on my 8200 directly from cam to winxp built in photo print to make things even. the verdict....from 6 inches away { as close as my eyes can focus } there is VERY little difference if any. Skin tones were identicle and dynamic range as well. Out comes the magnifying glass and then I could see the new model was a bit better at hiding dots in shaded areas...but not by much...keeping the 8200 for a bit longer i quess. One thing to point out..my 8200 takes about 4 minutes for an 8x10.
Here comes the best part! A rep from hp was in the store and closely watching the results. as I was saying my thank you's he approched and asked if I would give him a chance to show my the new 7550. I reluctantly said OK and he inserted the card into the printer.. while it was reading the card, he dug out some "sample"
prints. I explained politely that those meant nothing to me..he responded...these are not factory samples but are pictures that I have taken myself with my HP 850 and printed on this printer....Now it REALLY gets good!!...75% of the samples he showed me were from Steves test shots from who knows what cam test..I said boy those look real familiar..those are from a Photo Review site that I frequent...his draw droped as he was thinking of a good reply..."I Know Steve personally..and as a matter of fact I designed most of his web site". { still hasn't printed an image yet }.
So anyway Steve...A HP rep is going around with your shots in his briefcase claming their his...Portsmouth NH area
The prints from the 7550 took about 12 minutes each and were not as good as the canon...
Kevin
sttuppid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:32 PM   #14

Default Thank you all!

My time was up today. I had to decide. And I'm delighted to report that my decision was an equal mix of analysis, emotion, experience and foolishness. Last Friday I put the i950 in my trunk to return to CompUSA. I figured I'd try the 850 at home since I really was looking for a fast text printer as well. When I went into the store, I asked them to unbox a 950 for me (it had been two weeks and they still hadn't put one out). Boy, that was one pretty machine. As classy as the 850 is plain. Oh, all of that good info I'd read on the HiTest dye sub - I looked one last time at the Olympus P400 and was less impressed than the first time I looked; I'd been through Sony's dye sub and Fargo's dye sub and even at a low entry fee, couldn't get excited about buying an "off brand" product. That shimmering silver cover on the 950 was tempting me. If I was going to plunge ahead with the six color printer, why not be sensible, get the 820, save over a hundred and thirty dollars? I'd admired the 820 output. I didn't need the extra speed of the 950. But in the end, I was swayed by the 950 review from i-photo uk. I was sold on the purity of the colors (I know, the 820 uses the same inks but this review implied that the nozzle system was much improved and accounted for what he perceived to be an improved picture). My new camera's 10x zoom lens makes wonderful depth of field images that are hairline sharp. The 2 picoliter system would have to make a difference in my prints. As much as I wanted to settle on the 850, I couldn't shake what I perceived as an overall softness to images I'd seen printed from it. Rightly or wrongly, I surmised there was just something missing in the black level of its prints. Of course, there I was. Receipt in hand. All I had to do was return my 950 and try out the 850 for ten days. It was okay with Dell if I tried it out within my 30 day period. And then, he took the 950 out of the box. All reason flew out the window. It was love at first sight. Now the question is, how long can the honeymoon last? Thanks to all of you who made this decision a most interesting weeklong diversion.
bigiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:49 AM   #15

Default Re: a good 'ol bjc-8200 + a good story

Quote:
Originally Posted by sttuppid
I recently had the itch for a new printer because of the news of the i950. I called best buy up and was told thay should have them on sat...great, can I bring my card reader and have you hook it to a winxp machine for me to do a couple test prints......it will have to very early but yes we can.
I printed 2 8x10's on my 8200 directly from cam to winxp built in photo print to make things even. the verdict....from 6 inches away { as close as my eyes can focus } there is VERY little difference if any. Skin tones were identicle and dynamic range as well. Out comes the magnifying glass and then I could see the new model was a bit better at hiding dots in shaded areas...but not by much...keeping the 8200 for a bit longer i quess. One thing to point out..my 8200 takes about 4 minutes for an 8x10.
Here comes the best part! A rep from hp was in the store and closely watching the results. as I was saying my thank you's he approched and asked if I would give him a chance to show my the new 7550. I reluctantly said OK and he inserted the card into the printer.. while it was reading the card, he dug out some "sample"
prints. I explained politely that those meant nothing to me..he responded...these are not factory samples but are pictures that I have taken myself with my HP 850 and printed on this printer....Now it REALLY gets good!!...75% of the samples he showed me were from Steves test shots from who knows what cam test..I said boy those look real familiar..those are from a Photo Review site that I frequent...his draw droped as he was thinking of a good reply..."I Know Steve personally..and as a matter of fact I designed most of his web site". { still hasn't printed an image yet }.
So anyway Steve...A HP rep is going around with your shots in his briefcase claming their his...Portsmouth NH area
The prints from the 7550 took about 12 minutes each and were not as good as the canon...
Kevin

Haha thats funny. I've known reps to use prints from websites but never have I known them to claim they took the pictures. Thats just wrong. Speaking of could you give me the store location that is doing this. I have some friends that really need to know this information.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:35 AM   #16

I must say that after using the i950 for many months, I'm completely thrilled with its performance. I've owned several Epson Photo Printers and the i950 puts them to shame when using Canon's Photo Pro Paper. There IS not comparison there. The court has been dismissed on that argument for me.

However, I know the concern for print speed when using this printer as well. I also know that, by now, you've already made up your mind, you've opened the printer box and shipped the other one back. But, regardless of your choice that fact remains that you'll never get that "Extreme Photo Printer" (the i950 for example) to blow you out of the water with "text printing". In the same vain, you'll never get that "faster than lightning" LaserJet to crank out exceptional-framable works of photographic art either.

That leaves you with only two choices. One: you comprimise and save money and get alittle of both worlds in speed and "decent" photo quality from something other than the i950. Or, two: you can do what I did. Keep the i950 and buy yourself a quick, low cost laser to sit along side it for your text printing. A simple solution to a common problem. Brother has a decent HL-1440 for about $175.00 right now. Even cheaper on sale or with a rebate. We're talking Laser here! What more do you need for text?

The i950 rocks! The only kink is keeping the Canon Photo Pro Paper on my shelf!
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:38 AM   #17

I must say that after using the i950 for many months, I'm completely thrilled with its performance. I've owned several Epson Photo Printers and the i950 puts them to shame when using Canon's Photo Pro Paper. There IS not comparison there. The court has been dismissed on that argument for me.

However, I know the concern for print speed when using this printer as well. I also know that, by now, you've already made up your mind, you've opened the printer box and shipped the other one back. But, regardless of your choice that fact remains that you'll never get that "Extreme Photo Printer" (the i950 for example) to blow you out of the water with "text printing". In the same vain, you'll never get that "faster than lightning" LaserJet to crank out exceptional-framable works of photographic art either.

That leaves you with only two choices. One: you comprimise and save money and get alittle of both worlds in speed and "decent" photo quality from something other than the i950. Or, two: you can do what I did. Keep the i950 and buy yourself a quick, low cost laser to sit along side it for your text printing. A simple solution to a common problem. Brother has a decent HL-1440 for about $175.00 right now. Even cheaper on sale or with a rebate. We're talking Laser here! What more do you need for text?

The i950 rocks! The only kink is keeping the Canon Photo Pro Paper on my shelf!
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:16 AM   #18

Consider picking yourself up a pack of Epson Premium Glossy Paper. Its about half the price of Photo Pro paper and it has basically the same feel and texture that I doubt youd be able to much tell the difference between the two in both printing and touch. The Canon paper offers the protection of a longer archival rating of 25 years vs the Epson is 15 years. You can pickup a 50 pack of 4x6 paper off of buy.com for 15 bucks shipped to your door. Just search under the term "Epson Premium"