Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Canon i850 vs i950 - INSANE!

At this time, I must give up making my own decision and throw myself on the mercy of this forum. I have both printers unopened at home. I've scoured the data so far. In person, I've compared output from i850 with 820 and see hardly any difference in 8x10. I've tried to eyeball comparisons between 850 and 950 and failing that, between 950 and last gen 6 color systems. I've recently acquired an Olympus 2100uz and lean toward "portrait type" shots. I want the best photo prints possible - mostly 4x6. My probelm is text print speed - I generate hundred page documents and 28 seconds per page in standard mode from 950 as documented by Vincent is painfully slow. One final item - 850 prints i've seen in the stores seem pale and lacking in "punch" - in fact, the same blandness I see in the stores I see in the eyeball comparison at photo-i page 8a. I want to be happy. Which printer should I keep?

:?:
bigiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:50 PM   #2

Default not a print issue

aint the only difference between the I850 and S820 is the added photo card reader? To me they are a total waste since no printer has a LCD screen bigger than 1", as my mother would say just another thing to break. I only printed one page of text with the S820 but did not find it slow, the text was a little lighter than my Epson 640 but the letters were all formed & Crisp. Just make sure you use the better quilty plain paper, meaning the $8.00 for 500 sheet canon & Kodak super bright white stuff and keep the $3.00 for 500 sheets plain copy paper for every day garbage printing. If you need a second text printer you can buy the HP 3320 for $39.00. My sister bought it for a laptop and it does text as well as my Epson 640. Again when printing text documents you want to look good use the better plain white paper like canon & Kodak.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:56 PM   #3

Default Sorry, wrong printer

i checked the review and see the i850 must be a new printer since it's USB 2.0. For pictures it only has 4 colors which i'm sure can't produce as nice a picture as the 6 color S820.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:06 PM   #4

I compared 8x10 printouts from 4 color i850 and 6 color 820 at the Dell kiosk at the mall and could see very little to no difference in shaprness between the two - color tone seemed to vary slightly; I am trying to discern if the 950 has a better picture than the 850 or even the 820 since I perceive the 850 and 820 to be on par. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:10 AM   #5

I850 on par with a s820. :roll: possibly on quality results but certainly not on color. Pictures are in the details so if you are serious about getting a wide color gamut and great quality pictures you will get a six color printer.

Give you some numbers to think about.

The i950
uses 2 picoliter drop size
4800-1200 dpi on all colors including black

The i850
Uses 2 picoliter drop on 3 colors and 24 picoliters on the black
4800-1200 on 3 colors
600-600dpi on black.

If you are serious about both photos and text. Get yourself a laser printer first. I would look at the HP 1000 or the 1200. But if you really plan to do hundereds a week You may want to consider a higher end laser. Possibly a 2200.

Do not consider and inkjet for high volume printing in black text. Nowdays the manufactures charge way too much for ink for that to be beneficial to you. Trust me on this.

Here are some numbers for you to digest.

Canon i850
Black tank lasts about 400-500 pages
Cost of 15 dollars

Epson c82
Black ink tank lasts about 800-1000 pages
Cost of 30 dollars

HP photosmart 5550
Black ink tank lasts about 500 pages
Cost of 20 dollars

HP photosmart 6122
Black ink tank lasts about 900-1200 pages
Cost of 30 dollars

Most laser printers over the 400 dollar pricepoint will get you at least 2000-3000 pages of black and white for less than 60 bucks.
The HP high end lasers usually get about 10,000 pages for only 120 bucks. Thats less than a penny a page.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:31 PM   #6

Default Thanks for a definitive reply

I think you're right on the color disparity though the images were very ditto in sharpness - there was a different color cast to the 850 and 820 printout. I have an Epson 1200 now and have enjoyed the six color aspect of this machine. I see by your other posts that you're an Epson guy. I always have been as well but I think I'm going to the Canon camp this time around. Thanks very much for your feedback.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:19 AM   #7

The s820 is superior to the i850 (just ask Steve) and I just read an article from an i950 owner who could not see any difference between the 950 and his old s900...http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4299673
Also, check out this page:http://www.dp-now.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl/read/5389
I'm a big fan of the 820 and it's cheap at www.buy.com
..Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:01 PM   #8

Default Re: Thanks for a definitive reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiggy
I think you're right on the color disparity though the images were very ditto in sharpness - there was a different color cast to the 850 and 820 printout. I have an Epson 1200 now and have enjoyed the six color aspect of this machine. I see by your other posts that you're an Epson guy. I always have been as well but I think I'm going to the Canon camp this time around. Thanks very much for your feedback.
I am an epson fan. But I've learned over the years that Dye sub really is the way to go for photos. The epson printer I love is the c82. Granted its not a photo printer but it does my plain paper very well.

The canon or the epson photo printers cost 3-4 times as much just to print black and white text. The cost per 4x6 on an inkjet photo printer by canon, Or epson will run you about 80 cents unless you use refills or get really good deals on your ink and paper. HP runs around a dollar. I calculated it out to be .97cents per sheet under HP numbers for 4x6 printing. Steve did a review on the Hiti SHuttle 630 something or another Does prints far better than a inkjet does and faster to for only .40cents a sheet. I think thats gonna be the way I'll go for my photos in the future.

The only inkjet I woudl consider using foro photos would ideally be the Epson 2200. Its ability to print color archival is unbeaten by anyone. I've done prints on this printer. The details and colors produced by this printer are incredible.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:45 AM   #9

Default Cost of prints

Those costs surprise me. I tried dye sub a while back - bought a Primera Pro for my Amiga and PC. Printing was excruciatingly slow and fumbling with those film rolls was a pain. Then I moved my pics to a Mac and the dye sub and attendant supplies are packed in the closet. Then I got tired of paying for ink and migrated to Shutterfly and the Apple Service but thought the prints were either too flimsy or contrasty. Their 4x6 are .49 and they always run quantity discounts. So the pricing is right - even more so if your numbers are correct. Now I scored a new digicam and thought I'd go back to printing myself. Though I'm not sure why - paper prints are only as good as the number of empty shoe boxes you have lying around. Anyway, are you up on the cost per print of the Olympus 400? The samples in the store are great. If dyed ink is that expensive, it's worth looking into. There is no way I would put out 699 for an Epson printer - even selling lmt edition fine art prints. Their support just isn't worth the investment.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:16 PM   #10

Funny thing is I just bought an olympus c4000 camera.

This is a review you should look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...iti_630ps.html

It tells you the cost per page of the competing printers. This company also makes more than one dye sub.