Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:17 PM   #1

I am interested in the purchase of a printer for photography. But, I seem to read conflicting views on which oneis best. I have read great things about the Canon i9900 and the Epson R1800. I mention these because Imight like the option of prints up to 13X19" (although this is not a necessity-quality of print is). Would either onetop your listor are thereother printers to conciderthat might be better? Of these two, which would top the listconcidering color reproduction, resolution, quality of supplied color profiles, and ease of use? And again, I am looking for the printer that will provide the consistantly BEST print, regardless of print size. Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated!
a2thdrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:48 AM   #2

I would take a look at the IP8500 as well:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...500/page_1.htm

He also did a review of the i9950 which is sold in UK and is the i9900 here.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i9999/page_1.htm

Steve did reviews as well:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...on_ip8500.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...non_i9900.html

Either is a great photo printer. The 8500 is $300 and the i9900 is $400 on newegg.com.

Is 13 x 19 worth $100 more.....that is up to you.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:02 PM   #3

a2thdrlr wrote:
Quote:
I am interested in the purchase of a printer for photography. But, I seem to read conflicting views on which oneis best. I have read great things about the Canon i9900 and the Epson R1800. I mention these because Imight like the option of prints up to 13X19" (although this is not a necessity-quality of print is). Would either onetop your listor are thereother printers to conciderthat might be better? Of these two, which would top the listconcidering color reproduction, resolution, quality of supplied color profiles, and ease of use? And again, I am looking for the printer that will provide the consistantly BEST print, regardless of print size. Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated!
More opinions then you can shake a stick at. And you can look at the specifications until you are blue in the face. At the end of the day it's up to you to evaulate the output from each printer and see what's right for you. Both are pretty spiffy printers. One major difference the i9900 uses dye and the r1800 uses pigments. You may or may not like the look of pigments.
The r1800 is going to look pretty dang good on most media including plain paper where the i9900 is only going to look really good on coated papers including photo paper or inkjet bond paper. The r1800's pigments are going to be pretty dang lightfast and last decades under glass where the i9900 is going to dry pretty quickly and be somewhat waterfast on the right paper.

The only drawback to Epson generally speaking is they require maintance and cleaning for continued operation. There is a man who offers a free cleaning kit which i'll PM his address if you are interested. But even with this drawback Epsons have fab photo output and not many consumer printers offer pigments. There are good reasons to pick Epson.

The drawback to Canon is the printhead has a more limited lifespan. I don't have the offical number for the i9900 but it's a thermal system and like a lightbulb it will eventually blow. They can be replaced, and during the warranty period they will ship you one no questions asked in advance overnight air. It's like a $90.00 part... but on a $400 printer it's reasonable. But don't get me wrong, they are damned reliable and the same problem on the Epson would be more costly to resolve. First you have the printhead using a technology that's more costly to produce.... micropiezo. Brother uses micropiezos in some of their printers and in most cases they cost more than double the cost of the printer. And you the end user can't replace the head on an epson, not without major disassembly.

I know little about the new HP system. Like Canon and Epson there is a new model that offers cheap inktanks as well, and there are older wide models in their business class that offer huge inktanks, though I can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote