Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

Because there was a lot of comments on the cd/dvd tray in the other ip4200 topic, i tought i should start this thread, since there's still no solution for the new chipped cartriges.
I'm not much of a refiller, I would like to use aftermarket cartriges, but I had a look on epson aftermarket ones and found out that they cost 2-2.5x more than the ones without chips, so that would rule that option out for me, and I'll stuck with refilling.
Someone pointed out that you can turn off chip counting with forcing to print after it says it's empty, but this will write something in the memory of the printer and if it's time for warranty, than in the service, they'll know. But someone else said that they have a service manual (if not for 4200 than for 4000). Is there a way to reset that memory? If there is, feel free to post it . Or if you have any info on existing aftermarket cartriges, I would like to see that too.
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:07 AM   #2

For now I would use canon ink until the other ink makers come out with a solution for the carts which they said they will.

Swiftink.com is working away to get supplies of compatible ink as well as awork around to the micro-lock.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

There are problems with what you are saying (well for me at least):
Here in hungary we don't have Swiftink. If some company will have a way to make one it will be still 2-2.5x more expensive than g&g bci-6 cartriges, and original canon cli-8-s are 6.5x more expensive than aftermarket bci-6
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:18 PM   #4

:shock:It looks like you will be stuck refilling for awhile then. I would bet that the 3rd party ink makers will come out with something in your country as well since they offer bci-6 generic carts.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:07 AM   #5

We have inktec, jr ink, g&g, pearl type, Qink, and a few more, we'll see what will we have, I hope a g&g, they're so cheap, and have an acceptable quality. If they'll have the same price as the bci-6, that would be a miracle
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:24 AM   #6

If I force the printer to forget to look for the chip it losts warranty. but after that, can I fit a bci-6 into it and use that? since it no longer looks for the chips, i believe it's possible if it has the same size, but does it?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:58 PM   #7

The big question is how long it will take before various third party manufacters
find some way around the new Canon chipped cartridges.

Being someone with less than a years experience studying printer issues, I wonder
in the way of perhaps gaging history, how long did it take to find workarounds when Epson introduced their chipped cartridges. Its my understanding that the chip resetters solved this problem, but historically how long did this take?

I have also seen some long ago posts indicating these new chips may violate some laws and a class action lawsuit could be fruitfull but am certainly not talking from anything but vague memory.

But from what I have learned thus far, the inkjet consumer market is one giant rip off.
If unbeatable chippped cartridges are the wave of the future, things will go from bad to a heck of a lot worse. Nor will things get better until consumers demand better.

Which is exactly what we are not doing. As for me, I will boycott the new Canon lineup.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:57 PM   #8

Doing that alone will be quite hard Canon printers are cheap, common, and have good quality, while have cheap aftermarket cartridges. You can find most AM cartridges for canons and that's why i think that there will certainly be 3rd party products, but at what price? If I tought about it a few weeks earlier I could get a ip5000, but now I have an ip4200 which is cheaper, faster andworse looking (but who the f**k cares ). The ink meter didn't go down at all, not even 1 pixel after printing 5 full a4 borderless pictures, and the chip counter should give a precise measurement, so if it goes down with 1 pixel now for every inktank, I will be able to print about 100 a4 pics, and that's a lot, even with buying original cartridges it would be cheap
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:42 AM   #9

Osage wrote:
Quote:
The big question is how long it will take before various third party manufacters
find some way around the new Canon chipped cartridges.

Being someone with less than a years experience studying printer issues, I wonder
in the way of perhaps gaging history, how long did it take to find workarounds when Epson introduced their chipped cartridges. Its my understanding that the chip resetters solved this problem, but historically how long did this take?

I have also seen some long ago posts indicating these new chips may violate some laws and a class action lawsuit could be fruitfull but am certainly not talking from anything but vague memory.

But from what I have learned thus far, the inkjet consumer market is one giant rip off.
If unbeatable chippped cartridges are the wave of the future, things will go from bad to a heck of a lot worse. Nor will things get better until consumers demand better.

Which is exactly what we are not doing. As for me, I will boycott the new Canon lineup.
I'm not one for stick up for the Brand manufacturer, BUT, Canon did NOT put those chips on their new CLI-8 cartridges in order to "RIP" customer's off. Think of this if YOU owned the Company, Canon. All those third party companies out their ripping "YOU" off because NO ONE is buying/using YOUR ink as intended for the printer. NOW I see the whole idea if you were a former HP or Epson customer or HEVEN forbid, LEXMARK - they DO RIP YOU OFF, with those TRI-COLOR cartrigedes! The Canon cartridges, are, and have always been "CEAR" having 13ml of ink in each seperate cartridge and only leave 0.6ml of ink in the sponge when it says you actually have to replace it. When comparing THAT to the rest of the printer market, Canon does the best to provide a decent price for their ink and getting the most printing from what you buy. I have been comparing number of prints from all of the machines before they gave up a cartridge and got alomost 182 4x6, 4mp prints from a canon (single function, 5 or 6), cartridge printer, before it told me ONE cartridge was completely out. WOW!

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:47 AM   #10

stema wrote:
Quote:
Doing that alone will be quite hard Canon printers are cheap, common, and have good quality, while have cheap aftermarket cartridges. You can find most AM cartridges for canons and that's why i think that there will certainly be 3rd party products, but at what price? If I tought about it a few weeks earlier I could get a ip5000, but now I have an ip4200 which is cheaper, faster andworse looking (but who the f**k cares ). The ink meter didn't go down at all, not even 1 pixel after printing 5 full a4 borderless pictures, and the chip counter should give a precise measurement, so if it goes down with 1 pixel now for every inktank, I will be able to print about 100 a4 pics, and that's a lot, even with buying original cartridges it would be cheap
THIS MEMBER IS EXACTLY CORRECT. The CURRENT Canon Printers STILL USE the PRISM "Notch" that's in the cartridge with the light sensor in the carriage to watch ink usuage. The chip was ONLY put on to limit the use of third party inks and refills. NOW, it YES, DOES work with the "light sensor and notch" in the cartridge to let a customer know when an ink is low and will ALSO tell you if you put the cartridges in the wrong spot, BUT the ultimate authority is still the "prism" and light sensor.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote