Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:20 PM   #1

Basically there is a nice price on both and I have purchased both.

The Canon iP6000D - $149.99 ($173 including tax) (Price in Canadian from Futureshop)
-2.5" LCD
-Memory Card slots
-6 Color Ink system
-2pl ink drops
-4800x1200dpi
-Pictbridge

The Canon iP4000 - $89.99 ($104 including tax) (Price in Canadian from Staples)
-5 ink system (2 blacks)
-2pl ink drops
-4800x1200dpi
-Pictbridge

Now what I want to ask is in your opinions, is there ANY difference in the quality of print out at all? The people using the printer that I will keep will be my family (everyone 18 or over) and only I will be editing photo's before printing. Mostly will be printing 4"x6" and we will be purchasing cheaper ink from ebay (comes to about $2 per cartridge when purchasing in bulk).

Would the extra $70 for the iP6000D be justified? Would I be better off (financially and performance wise) keeping the iP4000 because the quality is almost identical (I keep reading this time and time again, but how come the quality is still the same, given the wider color gamut of the iP6000D over the iP4000?).

Someone help me decide!
x-batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:56 PM   #2

x-batman wrote:
Quote:
Basically there is a nice price on both and I have purchased both.

The Canon iP6000D - $149.99 ($173 including tax)

The Canon iP4000 - $89.99 ($104 including tax)

Now what I want to ask is in your opinions, is there ANY difference in the quality of print out at all? The people using the printer that I will keep will be my family (everyone 18 or over) and only I will be editing photo's before printing. Mostly will be printing 4"x6" and we will be purchasing cheaper ink from ebay (comes to about $2 per cartridge when purchasing in bulk).

Would the extra $70 for the iP6000D be justified? Would I be better off (financially and performance wise) keeping the iP4000 because the quality is almost identical (I keep reading this time and time again, but how come the quality is still the same, given the wider color gamut of the iP6000D over the iP4000?).

Someone help me decide!
The color gamut isn't wider on the ip6000. I misunderstood this my self. The extra inks are the same color but are basicly watered down. The effect is good, makes images look smoother and colors blend better.

Keep in mind that these are both closeout models. I'm sure they carry the dandy warranty just the fact that they have been replaced with models that have a higher resolution, smaller dropsize, and in the case of the ip6000D more nozzles. That being said $104 canadian is a nice price on the ip4000. It's even cheaper than the ip3000.

The ip4000 is a good general purpose printer with a very good track record. I bought my all in one based on the fact they share the same engine and its good history. The big black is one of the most cost effective cartridges on the market per page. Color photos are not shabby at all. I'd say this one if you print more than a ream of paper a year.

The ip6000D is a photoprinter. It doesn't have the big black, so expect lower yields for text printing and a higher cost per page for text. Text is also not as sharp. Slots for memory cards are handy even if you don't use them for printing. The light inks from my understanding are used more than the others to fill the white between the dark dots, so expect higher cost per page for photos. I took exception to this printer because it has 1/2 the nozzles of the older model i960. So expect it to be slower than the ip4000, but this is to be expected with photo printers.

Usually stores don't mind if you go in with your digital camera with Pictbridge support with your own paper and text the printers, though they often require you to leave the images there. They get real world samples and you get a good idea what each printer looks like.Judge for your self.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3

I have the iP4000, and I'm very happy with my photos - see Steves reviews.

In short keep the 4000 if you need a FAST printer, and print mostly text and are happy with four color photo prints, like me.

Keep the 6000 if you want a six color photo photo ONLY printer, and are willing to WAIT (it's much slower).

Good Luck!
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4

Now the MP760 (based off the iP4000) is on sale for $249, printer, scanner/copier. HMMMMMMMMM more expensize. Meh keeping the iP4000
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5

Well, Looks like I was able to nab the Canon PIXMA MP760 for $247.27 taxes in. This was a spectacular price (from what I can tell) and jumped and bought it, should be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. I think I made a good purchase at a good price.

-Scanner
-Copier
-Slide/Negative Scanner
-4800*1200 dpi (same exact as iP4000 - same inks)
-2.5" LCD
-Memory Card slots
-Pictbridge
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:55 PM   #6

There is alot to be said about the much better scanner bundled with the MP760.
Lots better than the scanner that comes with the MP750 or 780 in that the scanner that comes with the MP760 will do a decent job as a film scanner.

Super useful to anyone who has legacy 35mm negatives or slides from the bygone era when we actually used film that had to be chemically processed. But from what I have read, the better scanner in the mp760 will show its main value only in scanning film. For most other scanner work, the cheaper scanner would probably do as well.

Really sad that buying the MP780 to get the fax buys you a lower grade scanner.

But everyone must decide on their own set of criteria if the better scanner is worth the bucks or if buying or renting a specialty film scanner might be a better choice.

Given that the mp750 is sometimes found on sale for about the cost of a ip4000, one has to conclude you are paying a $150.00 premium for the better scanner.

And there is no way that adding a thirty dollar fax to the MP750 jumps its value $100.
But that how things work in printer marketing. Very consumer unfriendly.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:02 PM   #7

Sorry I shoudl clarify, the MP760's price I paid ($247.27) is in Canadian Dollars, which translates to $210 US. HMM, in the US the MP750 can be had for $100 US? Any deal like that available right now?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:21 PM   #8

$210 US vs. $247 Canadian just changes the numbers some.

And you are right, I have not seen a Canon MP750 for a $100 US lately.

Me thinks Canon has flushed its supply of non chipped printers far faster than I thought it would-----with the supply drying up fast.

I still think the smart money is still on the non-chipped Canons. Get um while they last.

Or get the new chipped cartridge printers and they will get you every time you must replace a cartridge at full Canon list.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #9

x-batman wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I shoudl clarify, the MP760's price I paid ($247.27) is in Canadian Dollars, which translates to $210 US. HMM, in the US the MP750 can be had for $100 US? Any deal like that available right now?
For a short time the mp750 was onsale from one online outlet for $100ish... that was either tiger direct or outpost, not sure which. That was an exceptional deal but those sold out really fast. $200ish is reasonable for an AIO with a sheet feeder and scanner.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:40 PM   #10

Ok i just opened the Mp760

The first print came out EXCELLENT, but the third print not so excellent. Maybe I did something with the settings? Kinda choppy edges? Any idea? Im using 4x6 Epson Premium glossy photo paper.