Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:49 PM   #1

I have both a Canon iP4000 and s820. For purposes of this message both are brand new. My question is which one I should keep. It will be used exclusively for photos.

The s820 is an older model but uses 6 inks.

The iP4000 is newer but uses 5 inks, but greater resolution on the print head.

I have read the reviews and read thru the forums. I understand for an all aorund printer the ip4000 has the edge. But they both seem to have good reviews for Photos.

So if you had to choose one based on Photo Quality, which one?

Thanks

upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:10 PM   #2

upsidedown wrote:
Quote:
I have both a Canon iP4000 and s820. For purposes of this message both are brand new. My question is which one I should keep. It will be used exclusively for photos.

The s820 is an older model but uses 6 inks.

The iP4000 is newer but uses 5 inks, but greater resolution on the print head.

I have read the reviews and read thru the forums. I understand for an all aorund printer the ip4000 has the edge. But they both seem to have good reviews for Photos.

So if you had to choose one based on Photo Quality, which one?
You can quote specifications till you are blue in the face, but in the end you pretty much have to see the output to judge.

It's true the s820 is a circa 2002 printer and has a larger drop size and lower resolution. But it has a printhead, as in it prints a greater height per stroke for color than the ip4000. Likely to be bloody slow, but in a photo printer this is less of a concern.

I'm not going to say keep one and ditch the other... these are the years I have a big blind spot as I had a printer I was pretty pleased with. If we were talking the i960 (circa 2003) vs ip4000 this would be easy... the i960 is a keeper.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:10 PM   #3

I would do the side by side comparison, except i do not want to open the printer if I am not going to use it. I will need to make my decision based on what I hear from people.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:36 AM   #4

upsidedown wrote:
Quote:
I would do the side by side comparison, except i do not want to open the printer if I am not going to use it. I will need to make my decision based on what I hear from people.
In that case I found an old review on tomshardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...9/i950-02.html

Granted the only printers they speak of are the s900, i850 and the i950, but the i850. The i850 is closer to the ip3000 than ip4000. But it should give you some idea the benifits of each of your two choices.

The reason I'm not saying ip4000 right off the bat is because it's been a good long while since I would have seen this series, and the HPs i've looked at resently also use a large drop size and look brillent.

Edit: I just noticed the enclosed chart doesn't include the s900, oh well.
Attached Images

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote