Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1

I just bought the UV resistent krylon spray, i've tried it on photos and dvds. What i am unsure of is how do you guys spray it? Multiple thin coats, or just one thin coat? Because my dvd's come out speckled, how do i avoid this?
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:34 PM   #2

OK I can see maybe on printed photos but why on a DVD?

I would be afraid that the paint would somehow etch into the metalic coating of the DVD and render in unreadable.

What would be UV sensitive on a DVD or where are you keeping that there is enough UV to worry about?

Jeff
AevnsGrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:21 PM   #3

MrX8503 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the UV resistent krylon spray, i've tried it on photos and dvds. What i am unsure of is how do you guys spray it? Multiple thin coats, or just one thin coat? Because my dvd's come out speckled, how do i avoid this?
I'm still trying to master this my self... though I used a spar urathane and diamond coat both seemed to orange peal rather easily. The next few I do will be with rather thin coats.

AevnsGrandpa1 wrote:
Quote:
The wonderful thing about printable dvds is they pickup ink easily, from your printer and just about everything else on this earth. At the very least a workable fixative makes a little bit of sense.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:28 PM   #4

AevnsGrandpa1 wrote:
Quote:

I would be afraid that the paint would somehow etch into the metalic coating of the DVD and render in unreadable.

What would be UV sensitive on a DVD or where are you keeping that there is enough UV to worry about?

Jeff
You use it on photos to protect it, same with a dvd thats printed. It makes it smudge proof, moisture proof, uv proof, and glossy. UV was just an added extra, it wasnt an intention, although it is a plus. BTW any amount of UV over long periods of time will fade the color, so its not like i'm keeping it outside on a summer day all day.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

I have tried this with cheap spray paint.Orange peel is what I came up with.Other than that it worked great.Wish I could get a nice dried surface.What about polyeurathane(SP???) for woodworking?
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:45 PM   #6

plumpkatt1 wrote:
Quote:
I have tried this with cheap spray paint.Orange peel is what I came up with.Other than that it worked great.Wish I could get a nice dried surface.What about polyeurathane(SP???) for woodworking?
The spar urathane I used had a massive dry time, and it's not 100% clear. The canned stuff comes out slightly blue unless mixed with water then it turns slightly yellowish. The spray stuff is closer to slightly amber or brown. So on paper you tend to get spotting. I didn't notice this so much on the CDs.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:05 PM   #7

It seems like multiple thin coats is the best way to do it. Also i've noticed that if you press the spray nozzle all the way down it gives a more even spray compared to pressing it down softly. I pressed it down softly because i wanted it to be thinnest spray possible, but this just caused dripping.

Anyone else have any tips?