Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1

I have an Epson 890 printer with a CIS system (purchsed from Inkjetart.com). It worked perfectly for awhile, but now it has started ADDING lines. It looks kind of like everything is underlined. It just adds a bunch of lines to whatever it prints. Interestingly, it doesn't do this on the plain paper setting - just on the other settings (I pretty much only use Photo Glossy Film mode).

In order to trouble shoot whether it was the printer or the CIS system, I took the CIS system out and installed normal, new cartridges. Since doing so, the red light stays on on the printer stays on. It's my understanding that the red light means the chip isn't making contact with the printer, but if that is the case I have no idea how to fix the problem. I've tried another set of cartridges, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to get the cartridges to work now that I've taken the CIS out, and also how to get rid of the extra lines? Interestingly, I have two Epson 890 printers - the second one has a CIS from MIS, and it is now starting to add those same lines. This one has been used very little. I really need to get this situation under control.
dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

Can you post a scan of an offending print?

I can't see it being anything to do with the CIS, but it might be some other problem with ink flow from the carts.

The red light might mean the printer is calling for service (waste ink pads full, perhaps? -- this happens to all consumer-grade Epsons eventually.)

On the one that's working, try switching it to uni-directional printing mode and see what the result is.

Edit: Just checked the 1280/890 service manual -- if both error light and power light are on (blinking, perhaps? the instruction is somewhat ambiguous), ink pad change and counter reset is called for.

A thought on the spurious lines in high quality prints -- in text and plain paper modes less ink is delivered and the heads move faster.

Maybe the wiper isn't cleaning excess ink off properly, it's building up on the surface of the heads and coming off onto the media instead.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote