Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:51 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 or Epson 2200 or??

I am looking into a new photo printer for the museum where I work. We want to do good banners/photo banners for exhibits plus print out quality photos for researchers and for the collection. The exhibit designer would like to have banners as long as possible and the Epson has a 44" length for roll paper. This points me in the direction of the EPSON. That requirement aside, would the Canon be the better printer?? Larger format printers are not within our reach financially.
johnnywyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2003, 2:03 PM   #2

i just got my 2200 on monday. it took 3 prints to dial it in reasonably and charge the nozzles properly. i like it quite a bit. it puts out a better than i thought B/W image though i think it can do better with some work on my part. all the concerns i have read about epson and the heads with ink clogging i am beginning to suspect 2nd tier ink being used and the fact they don't print but 3-4 prints a month. i had a 1270 and hadn't turned it off since i purchased it keeping the head at least a little warmed up. never had a problem with it. just sold it off. in addition to the quality and versatility it has with roll (with auto cutter/catch basket in the box as an option) and precut papers it's solid as a rock. i just put in a starter order for paper and additional cartridges. i'm going to attempt to produce my first decent 8x10 this weekend. ink cartridges are approx $9US each x 7 of course. i was looking for longevity in the print catagory. i have seen others fade fairly quick (6 months to 3yrs in varying enviornments). the 9000 claims 25yrs under glass and out of direct sunlight and i believe it. it is also a faster printer. i just liked to print quality the 2200 produced and the pigment longevity claims. only time will tell.

i just checked the 9000 cartridge prices. there are generic inks available at $5US per color but i cannot guarantee the the quality or longevity.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:19 AM   #3

Just remember those 25 years are on matte paper which has the longest archival rating. If you want longer lasting glossy prints use the epson colorlife paper. Its a semigloss paper but it gives you a much smoother glossy print.

JUst a side note do not use colorlife paper on the 2200. I dont think its compatable with it. Use the premium papers like semigloss luster and archival matte paper. Those papers achieve the best results. Also if you are into making water colors the 2200 will do really well for you.

IF you are looking at making prints that last a long time on any paper I think the 2200 would be the right choice.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:22 AM   #4

Default or the i9100 from canon?

should be announced in the US during PMA...

see http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Feb03/canoni9100.htm for info

Canon announces the Bubble Jet i9100 printer
the A3+ printer that replaces the S9000

Canon, leader in photographic and imaging technology, is pleased to announce the launch of its new A3+ printer – the Bubble Jet i9100. With the launch of this sophisticated machine, Canon brings 4800 x 1200 dpi photo printing technology to the A3+ market for the first time and sets a new standard in fast, high-resolution printing.

"The speed and high-resolution of the i9100, plus the fact that it offers outstanding quality full-bleed and photo-standard prints in a range of sizes, makes it the perfect printer in its price range for anyone requiring the best graphic reproduction available," says Malcolm Hills, head of Canon Consumer Imaging in the UK.

Quality and Speed
The i9100 combines great colour reproduction quality with accuracy and speed, utilising Canon’s now standard advanced MicroFine Droplet Technology™ to give accurate dot placement, dot shape and dot density. The six-colour ink system uses the world’s lightest density inks, and when combined with 4800 x 1200* dpi dot resolution and a tiny 4pl drop size, the i9100 gives grain-free photographs with up to 49 colour shades per pixel for enhanced image depth.

The i9100 uses a high density, high-resolution 1200 dpi print head with 3072 nozzles – 10 times as many ink nozzles as its closest competitor. The i9100 is capable of printing a full A4 colour photo in about one minute, twice as fast as its closest competitor, and a full A3 photo on Canon’s Photo Paper Pro in less than two minutes.

Single Ink technology
Incorporating Canon’s highly praised Single Ink technology, the Bubble Jet i9100 offers individually replaceable ink tanks designed to eliminate waste and save consumers money, as well as an accurate ink-low and ink-out detection system to ensure that no print jobs are wasted.

The Bubble Jet i9100 also achieves fast borderless photo printing enabling the production of images that are indistinguishable from traditional photographs. It is capable of borderless printing not only on A3, A4 and 4"x6" formats but also on A3+ and a new 5"x7" size.
This makes borderless printing realistic for everyday use, as the i9100 prints edge-to-edge photos up to five times faster than its competitors.

The i9100 comes with Exif Print support for both Mac and Windows platforms with the included Easy-PhotoPrint application. Exif Print improves the quality of Exif 2.2 compliant digital images using additional information captured at the time the photograph was taken to deliver better quality, more natural-looking photographs.

The i9100 also offers a comprehensive range of photo software. This includes Canon PhotoRecord, which allows easy multi-layout and auto-scaling of images to different paper sizes; Canon ZoomBrowser EX for archiving, retouching and composing slide shows; and Canon PhotoStitch for combining digital images together to create a large panoramic image.
Advanced printer driver features such as Photo Noise Reduction, Photo Optimizer PRO and Vivid Photo complete the package.

PostScript RIP
The addition of the iProof PowerRIP 2000™ PostScript Raster Image Processor to the i9100 package provides a highly competitive, professional contract quality proofing solution. This allows graphic artists to achieve perfectly accurate colour proofs.

The i9100 has a USB interface giving compatibility with Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Mac OS. It can be shared across a variety of network environments using the Pricom C-6200U (10/100 Base-TX) print server.

Pricing and availability
The Bubble Jet i9100 will be available from May 2003 for around £419 RRP inc VAT.
lordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 3:51 AM   #5

Default New Canon i9100

Only difference from S9000 appears to be 13x19 borderless. It doesn't use the i950 print head - apparently Canon have a supply problem and don't have enough available for an "i9500" (this is according to Vincent Oliver, the photo-i site owner).

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:22 AM   #6

Well I knew about the 9100 weeks ago. But from what I have read it is exactly the same as the 9000. I dont believe 4800dpi with a 4pl drop. 3pl maybe 2pl definatly.

For musuem purposes you probably should stick to the 2200. Also it may cost 4 times more but check into a 7600. IF it is for a non profit organization epson will somtimes give you extreme discounts on the printer. So call them up and see what they can do for you.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:32 AM   #7

Also when they talk about nozzles. With the canon its required to have more nozzles with the thermal techonolgy they use. They can't use all the nozzles on every pass. They can only use about 1/8 to 1/4. Otherwise the nozzles being so close to each other will melt.

The epson uses a micro piezo so no heat is generated by spraying ink down on the page therfore all nozzles can be used and used for a longer period of time. Also remember yes you can replace a canon printhead but its gonna cost you 175 for the printhead. The new ones might be a little cheaper. I've been hearing rumors that you could replace them for 100. But sticking with what canon quoted me about a year ago.

The 2200 you can replace the printhead and it'll run you about 100 for the part and about 70 for labor. But also bear in mind the 2200 printhead is rated to last 2000 pages of full bleed printing where the canon is only rated to 750. Printheads are in the same general price category.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:44 AM   #8

From the research I made, I concluded that I would get the Canon for the speed and the Epson for the Quality and longevity of the prints and even more for the consensus over the B/W prints.
Because of the later I would pick the 2200 when it is time for me to get one. I am pissed at Epson for not including the feature of the 2100 (its European version) that alllows you to print on printable CD. Another plus in favor of the Epson is the line of paper they offer (!). That is my humble POV.
To Epson 2200 Owners, what can you tell me about the reliability of the 2200 ?
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:59 AM   #9

well for me it's lasted almost 2 days so far.

i have found that if you treat it right. give it good exercise(PRINT PRINT PRINT). feed it well (no no name inks/refills. in the case of the 2200 you have little choice right now) good hygene (regular head/paperpath cleaning)you generally have little to no problems with any well made printer. my 1270 never had any problems and others i know run them daily. i have confidence i will use this well. plus i bought it with my visa card which extends the warrantee another yr for noncommercial use just in case.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote