Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

Hi All,

I have a brother laser printer that died on me yesterday (5years it lasted). the drumkit needs replacing, that cost ~£100 or so.

I thought I could buy a Canon MP760 with a little bit more. Then it struck me:

How long (or pages) does the printhead last on a canon printer?

How much do they cost?

I'll be using the printer for some photo and documents etc...

Thanks for your help

roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:58 PM   #2

I'm not an expert on canon print heads, but I do know that they do not fail as often as they do for other manufacturers. Even with the use of 3rd party ink's they don't clog up (as often).Also from what I've observed, the print heads sell for around $30. Also since canon print heads are removable, there is the possibility of soaking the print head in a cleaner and reviving it.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:14 PM   #3

roks wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I have a brother laser printer that died on me yesterday (5years it lasted). the drumkit needs replacing, that cost ~£100 or so.

I thought I could buy a Canon MP760 with a little bit more. Then it struck me:

How long (or pages) does the printhead last on a canon printer?

How much do they cost?

I'll be using the printer for some photo and documents etc...

Thanks for your help

The question you are asking is like asking how long a lightbulb will last.. which when you get right down to it thermal jets are basicly a coil and a wire.

The estimated printhead life based on some pretty bogus tests. 1500 character patern is about 1/2 of a normal typed page... the a4 7.5% duty per color is somewhat realistic for pie charts and things. Not sure about their a6 and postcard estimates as they are none too specific.

The last time I worked it out, the offical estimated life is in the neighborhood of 10 or 20 cartridge changes or so.

PIXMA iP4000
18,000 pages
Black 1,500 character pattern 7,200 pages
Color A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern 5,400 pages
A4, photo, borderless printing 300 pages
4 x 6, photo, borderless printing 3,600 pages
Postcard, photo, borderless printing 1,500 pages

I expect the printhead to go for about £50.00 to £60.00 depending where you shop... and if limited to 10 cartridge changes adds £1.00 each to your printing cost.

But the reality is for the most part if you get a good printhead it'll likely last you a good while longer. If you get a bad one it's covered by their warranty which from what I understand even in the UK they'll post you one for free if it fails.

The Brother DR400[/b] drum unit is estimated at 20,000p at 5% coverage, compaired to 7,200 pages of black on the canon at 1500 characters/page which technicaly is roughly equal to there and abouts of 1/2 the value if thinking 5% coverage. So while double the quid it's quad the life.

While the canon's text printing is pretty good as far as cost per page... in contrast to the Brother 1250 which takes the TN-9000... and estimated 9000 pages @ 5% yield for £90ish.. even when taking the cost of the drum into account we're still talking 1.2ish pents/page vs the mp760 at there and abouts of 1.4pents/page not including a replacement head.

I own the mp760 which technicaly is an older model... The current model is the mp800 that takes the new chipped ink cartridges. I can reccomend it... text is top notch... not as good as laser but really good. Photos are very decent. I did have to exchange mine due to a weird malfuction with the paper sensor but the replacement arived 4 days from asking them for it. I don't know what Brother laser you have so I can't say whether keeping it in service would be a good idea or not.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:56 PM   #4

Try having a look at -:

http://www.electroversal.com/ they'er the Canon suppliers.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote