Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:58 PM   #1

If the price is the same ($85 out the door), which should I buy? I know the ip4200 is the newer model, but does that also mean it is better? The resolution is better, but it is slightly slower. (Not slow enough to cause me worry.)

It would seem obvious to go with the newer, higher resolution, USB 2.0 ip4200m, but is there something I am missing. For instance some web site reviews claim that theybothdo duplex printing, while others only credit the ip4000 with this feature.

Thanks all

D70-August

D70-August is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2

D70-August wrote:
Quote:
If the price is the same ($85 out the door), which should I buy? I know the ip4200 is the newer model, but does that also mean it is better? The resolution is better, but it is slightly slower. (Not slow enough to cause me worry.)

It would seem obvious to go with the newer, higher resolution, USB 2.0 ip4200m, but is there something I am missing. For instance some web site reviews claim that theybothdo duplex printing, while others only credit the ip4000 with this feature.

Thanks all

D70-August

I would get the IP4000 myself, it's black and sleek looking, Plus you can refill the carts without the microchip hassle.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:32 PM   #3

D70-August wrote:
Quote:

The problem you'll encounter is the fact that the printer is so dang new that so few people have them... and heck I only started seeing them in stores a few weeks ago.

I usually say to people bring you digital camera into the store with your favorite or the reccomended photo paper and try it on both.. but the ip4000 is typicaly out of stock. The MP780 their all in one is based on the ip4000 print engine and should give you a very good idea of what you'd expect on the ip4000.

AFAIK they both do duplexing, as well other printers in the pixma line that offer two paper trays. I don't know the exact printing scheme of duplex printing but it's clearly different from normal printing... perhaps a lighter mix of the dark pixment ink and a smathering of the colors. I don't know the formula but do expect using the duplex feature for the output to be different. I don't use it at all on my IP3000, though I do use the software duplex feature, just not auto duplex.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:33 PM   #4

I would also go with the ip4000. The chip design has always bothered me.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:37 PM   #5

Delete
Ra Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:37 PM   #6

weapon wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, I own an iP4200 and I'm starting to see sales on theCanon CLI-8carts already. Plus, several aftermarket carts are on the way and should arrive very soon. Also, the 4200 indeed does duplex printing. The style of the case my not be quite as attractive as the 4000, but it's also not nearly as bulky. Thefeature I like the most is that the 4200 does1 picoliter droplets where the 4000 maxes out at 2 picoliters. Before the 4200, the (more expensive)iP5000 was the first level in the line to offer this feature.
Ra Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:43 PM   #7

Ra Power wrote:
Quote:
weapon wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, I own an iP4200 and I'm starting to see sales on theCanon CLI-8carts already. Plus, several aftermarket carts are on the way and should arrive very soon. Also, the 4200 indeed does duplex printing. The style of the case my not be quite as attractive as the 4000, but it's also not nearly as bulky. Thefeature I like the most is that the 4200 does1 picoliter droplets where the 4000 maxes out at 2 picoliters. Before the 4200, the (more expensive)iP5000 was the first level in the line to offer this feature.
While I would agree that the small drop size sounds spiffy.. the fact of the matter is they had to take away the 2pl to make room for the 1pl, but kept the 5pl. I can't say anything from personal experence but I wonder what the effect would be on printing for example lower resolution images. It's not the fact that it maxes out at 1pl, it is either 1pl or 5pl, or in the case of the ip4000 2pl or 5pl as far as I understand.

And also there are too many unknowns... like for example what are the actual differences if any between the ip4200 ip5000 and ip5200 printheads.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote