Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:51 AM   #11

A lot of people think selecting grey scale uses only black ink. Actually it is just the oposite. The machine uses the color cartiridge to print everythin including black. The machine assumes you are doing a document when you selsect plain paper so it uses out of the pigmented black cartridge. If you select photo paper it assumes you are doing a photo and uses from the dye based photo cartridge, if you have one. The reason it does this is because the dye based black blends and absorbs into photo paper coatings at the same rate. It is also softer and less reflective than pigmented ink. The pigmented ink is what causes smudging on some papers or may have a mottled look .
BOB_DOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:51 PM   #12

Well, to test some photo papers I did print a few charts with color patchesand some big black to white gradients with my new IP4000. And I forgot to take off the breezer sticker from one of the black cartridges. I eventhink it was -against all reason- the pigmented black one.... The result was that the black to white gradient became purple. As soon as Ienabled the black cartridge all became nice black again. From this I derive that 'black' is a mix of at least cyan, magenta and black.... This can easily be repeated..: just take out the black cartridges and start printing a black page.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote