Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:22 PM   #11

Also my questions are then :

since the original epson cartridges do not have the continous ink supply tubing running to them, maybe thats why my lines are thinner? because there is less weight that it has to move?

also what about since its different ink type? i am using the same type of paper tho.
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:27 AM   #12

I wouldn't think so -- I'm using my second continuous feed system (first one broke down) on the R310 and have never experienced any problem like that.

The carriage motor seems to have adequate power to handle it, even though the tubes on the present one are overly stiff and nothing I can do will stop them rubbing on the top of the case.

Besides, your problem is horizontal lines which would be more likely to be caused by paper feed than carriage movement.

It's remotely possible that there could be variation in the size of the lines due to ink formulation (specifically, how well a particular ink flows and spreads on the paper), but again I doubt it -- down the years I've used all manner of inks in Epson printers.

I've seen lots of variations in colour shading and print density, but actual coverage hasn't been a worry.

You will always get horizontal lines in the lower quality (fastest) print modes if you use them for graphics, but that applies to all inkjets and all inks and is purely a function of the width of the spray pattern and the amount of paper fed between head passes -- I gather this is not what you're complaining about.

If you have access to a halfway decent flatbed scanner, it might help if you could post a scan of one of the prints with lines in it so we could see for ourselves what your results are.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:51 PM   #13

i did infact scan something that has lines in it..although it is a printed DVD cover...is that acceptable for me to post the scan here? i can upload it to my website and just post a link..*note* i own the original.

I havnt scanned anything else that has the lines, but in this scan , in photoshop up close you can clearly see the lines.

I also got my replacement cartridges today, i am waiting on paper then im going to finish up these epson cartridges and put back in my CIS system
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:35 PM   #14

So long as it's only a link and not directly posted here, I see no reason you couldn't put it up.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:56 PM   #15

I gave Epson the credit card number and in 2 days I had a new R800 at my door and inside was a prepaid shipping label.Epson charged my card and in about 5 days my money was put back on my account.The strange thing is, I still have the old R800 printer and the money they put on hold.I need to get the printer shipped back to them b4 they decide to actually charge my account $360.No worries about giving your card to epson.I believe they only put a hold on your account if it's a debit card.That's what they told me on the phone.Either way, I made out.I got a new printer and a FULL set of new cartridges.Hope this helps....I wouldnt intentially steer someone wrong.I am just trying to help.

Plump
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:57 PM   #16

http://ka0s.gamerzlegacy.com/scan.jpg

ok there it is....Please note that the yellow in this scan is from my scanner and not from the print. the lines are more apparent in real life but hopefully you can see them up close in photoshop with this

the best areas to see the lines up close in photoshop is on the guy's face on the front of the cover or the ladies face in the pink area on the back..

Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:40 AM   #17

Right -- got it.

Only problem is, I can see lines in both directions -- hard to tell which is printer and which is scanner.

There are lines vertically (nose to chin etc.) that are quite close together and lines horizontally that are not so close and might well be from erratic ink distribution.

I'm wondering if, just maybe, your feed path and rollers need cleaning.

It shows signs of what could be a somewhat irregular feed and/or ink distribution.

I've found with the R310 that both the CD tray and feed path have to be cleaned underneath quite often, otherwise I get lower quality prints and often refusal to feed the tray at all -- it just sits there and the drive rollers spin uselessly beneath it.

A wipe with an alcohol-damped cloth fixes it for a while.

Did you try the soaked cloth treatment under your print heads?

From the Epson manual, it's also possible to adjust the print height for thicker media (something else I've not actually tried) -- you might look that up and try it, it can't to any harm — could make the prints either better or worse.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:24 PM   #18

Yeh the lines im talking about are the ones you can see up close in photoshop running nose to chin. Running from the top to the bottom.

Also you can see it in the blues up close on the front as well.

soaked cloth treatment? give me a link..alls ive tried is windex on the pads underneath the carriage...like 5 drops..overnight...

thats all i have tried so far total..

and YES the lines are irregular....i can see them get bigger in certain areas...it is strange..I noticed the lines get smaller then bigger and smaller again...formulating a type of

for example they will look liek this in some areas

| || ||| || |

wish i could explain that better but thats how it is...itll get wider in the middle then smaller again...it forms like a type of waveto me, in some of the prints. atleast the irregular lines.

etc....im thinking it was rollers or something too...im not sure what else to try cleaning? ive watched it several times print and i cant figure it out

Quote:
From the Epson manual, it's also possible to adjust the print height for thicker media (something else I've not actually tried) -- you might look that up and try it, it can't to any harm — could make the prints either better or worse
i dont see that in the epson manual..will have to look harder i suppose...

thanks for your help thus far idle...trying to figure this out is better than nothing
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:58 AM   #19

No, Kenjii, you can rule out rollers -- apart from anything else, the lines appear in areas the rollers don't touch -- they might be slipping a bit and making the paper feed erratic, but I doubt it.

The lines have all the earmarks of inaccurate ink placement and I still suspect ink build-up causing some of the jets to be deflected.

The platen gap adjustment is on page 44 of my R310 user guide -- gets a whole 2 lines.

It's controlled from the front panel -- I have no idea if it's sticky or only works until you shut the printer off.

The cloth strip head cleaning method is simple enough -- you cut a suitable strip of lint-free cloth, wet it with Windex or nozzle cleaning fluid, lay it carefully along the bed of the printer, move the carriage along until you can pick up each end and just pull it to and fro under the heads like a strip of sandpaper.

Depending on how much gunk you find, you might need to repeat the process.

For your interest, I'll attach a couple of scans I just made -- one of a photo print from the R310 on glossy paper, the other a scan of a scanned DVD cover that I made as badly as I could (chose one at random, scanned it, reduced the size to a JPG file that would post here, printed that on coated inkjet paper at full size, scanned the print and again reduced it to 800 pixels.

Both prints are with non-Epson ink.
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:03 AM   #20

And the scan of a printed scan -- as you see, nothing untoward.
Attached Images