Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:57 PM   #1

Hi. For about a month now i have been having problems with my printer. I have a CIS system from JLWsales on ebay. It was working great and i maybe got 250 prints out of it before it started giving me this problem.

When i print i get tiny vertical lines on any of my prints..mostly with darker browns and yellow's. I thought maybe the cartridges went bad because some of my contacts on them looked honestly burned out. So i got JLW to send me replacement color cartridges. They are on the way to me now. So in the meantime i put in my original epson ink's that i got with my printer and decided to use them up while i wait for new cartridges.

The thing is i still have this vertical line problem with the original epsons! But the lines are much much more smaller. Ive tried cleaning, print head alignment..everything imaginable to try to fix my problem.

Im thinking it could possibly be the rollers? I have a warranty with newegg but id be afraid of my cartridges drying up in the time it would take for me to get it back and be fixed...

If anyone can help me figure this out it would be much appreciated. The closest service area to my house is 70 miles away and im sure they wolnt replace it on the spot.

It isnt hard for me to detach the system and put in the original cartridges to ship it back but im afraid it would take very long for them to replace it or figure out the problem. So i am wondering if theres anything i can do to try to solve this problem that i have not tried already.

As i said the vertical lines are relatively small now...not incredibly noticeable...but were quite noticeable when i had the system installed.

*edit* i also wanted to say that these lines are when i print in landscape mode...(but i dontprint in the other mode) (i mostly print full size pictures with borderless turned off) Also the lines with landscape runfrom left to right and notfrom top to bottom, if your holding the picture like this :

(8.5x11)

______

| |

| |

|_____|

The lines only occur on color photo's and not with black.

Any advice is appreciated. thanks for your time

Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:37 AM   #2

So you're saying that the lines are in the direction of head movement, not at right angles to it?

This should rule out the rollers -- lines would be at right angles to the carriage movement.

If it is due to burning of the cartridge contacts (which would only happen if contact was insufficient or the contacts contaminated and arcing occurred) remember there are two parts to each contact -- the chip and the permanent contact in the cartridge holder.

If one is burning, odds are the other side is too; That the problem lessened when you installed the OEM cartridges with clean contacts, but didn't clear up entirely, makes me think this is likely.

I'd try cleaning those -- be very careful, they are spring-type contacts and must not be distorted in any way, if you do you can probably write the printer off.

When cleaning, only move whatever you clean them with downward (a carborundum point file, perhaps, if you can find one, and be gentle with it -- don't rub too hard) -- if you push it down and pull it up, there's a risk that the up-stroke could catch and bend one or more (as happens if you install cartridges without the chips installed -- the contact ends hook in the empty recesses and distort, ruining the printer when you try to remove them.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:33 AM   #3

Correct the lines are in the way the print head moves.

Ok i think i know what your talking about. The silver ish contacts when you take the cartridges out...they are on the inside of the front side. correct? what is the best thing to clean these with besides a "(a carborundum point file, perhaps, if you can find one, and be gentle with it -- don't rub too hard)"

Wow this is the first help ive been able to get! and thanks for ruling out the rollers *phew*

And thank you for the advice thus far.

*edit* i took a look at the contacts you mentioned with a magnifying glass...which was kind of hard to do....some of the points near the end do look a bit black/brownish.

i hope its something as easy as that as my problem and if i can fix it...need to find the right tool....the contacts you mentioned when i looked at them are a bit different from what you mentioned. They are straight down and then at the end they point outwards

It looks like it would be insanely hard to clean like you mentioned..because they curve outwards near the bottom and have quite a few rows :?

let me know what all kind of tools i can use to try to fix this. thanks again!!

Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:29 AM   #4

I think you'll find the contacts are in fact spring wire on the general lines of a hairpin and anchored only at one point.

The 'brownish black" contamination suggests that they probably have been arcing -- the current flow here is but two sniffs & a tickle, t'would take nothing much to upset it.

Whether one or more of these contacts going intermittent would affect printing once started I've no idea, but it very well might.

My suggestion of a carborundum point file (a gadget rather like an abrasive nail board) was just that -- I can't remember exactly what the contacts look like.

You might also try a small bit of stainless steel wool attached to a plastic strip, or even a cloth pad soaked in CO2 contact cleaner -- whatever you use, take care not to snag and bend any of the wires.

Don't get carried away and remove too much metal -- there'll be little enough of it...

Another thought was that your horizontal lines might be caused by dried ink buildup
on the heads upsetting the "spit & hope" spray system (if you've ever done any spray painting you'll know about this one -- the nozzles don't have to be actually clogged for the ink/paint delivery to be inaccurate.)

Here you might try the Windex trick -- using a hypodermic or an eyedropper, put just a few drops of blue Windex (or any other glass cleaner containing ammonia) on the head parking pads, leave overnight, then run a head clean.

I've also heard of folk using a strip of lint-free cloth soaked in glass cleaner pulled to and fro under the heads to clean off a stubborn buildup.

Have never done it myself, tho'.

Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:01 PM   #5

i have done that windex trick a few times already. but i call em cleaning pads underneath the carriage.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:04 PM   #6

i will have to try to find something small enough to clean those contacts.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:55 PM   #7

tried your method. lines still there even though they are very small...not sure what else to try heh thanks for your tip(s)
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:24 PM   #8

Don't really know what to suggest next -- diagnosing a problem by wire isn't easy...

I do think it's most likely to be a physical ink-delivery fault, though, probably the result of an obstruction somewhere.

What result do you get from a nozzle check?

If there are any gaps, however small, you won't get accurate prints.

BTW, the right-hand pads are "parking pads" (as per Epson repair manuals) -- cleaning pads are the ones at the other end that you see the carriage move to momentarily every few strokes

Parking pads have a rubber seal around them to prevent air access and keep the heads from drying out -- if this gets damaged you'll have problems unless the printer is in continuous use.

Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:37 PM   #9

If it has been less than a year, epson will replace the printer no questions asked.This is what you do.I just did this with an epson r800 printer.First I emailed epson stating that I was having problems and I have tried several head cleanings and also replaced the ink cartridges and still no luck.They emailed me the nect day stating ta do 3 head cleanings and wait a day and if that didnt work, they gave an address of 2 epson service centers over 100 miles away.I emailed back stating that I have been an epson customer for years and that this was not an acceptable solution.The next day I recieved an email stating that epson customer relations would contact me by phone.They did that day and told me that they give every epson customer a 1 time replacement.Then they made me give my credit card number and shipped me a new printer overnight with a return shipping label.Then I sent the old one back and they credited my card.The replacement printer came with new FULL cartridges.

Also, if you do alot of printing, go to staples and buy an epson printer and buy the 2 year extended plan for 15 bucks.Last week my 3 month old epson r200 stopped working cause of the waste ink counter.I called up staples and told them of the problem.They told me I had to deal with epson for the first year.I told them that was unacceptble and wanted my money back for the plan.They said they would refund my mony but had to deduct money for the 3 months that I had the plan.I said that was unacceptable and wanted to talk to a manager.The manager asked what was wrong and I stated I wanted a refund for the plan.The manager said that they would just send me a staples gift card for the cost of the printer and I can just throw the old one away.They also said I can spend the gift card on anything in the store so I'll either buy the r320 or Cannon IP6600D.Anyhow, I reset the ink counter and added an ink catcher bottle and its good as new.

Things may cost a bit more at Staples but their service really pays off if you ask for a manager when you have a problem.Hope this helps.

Plumpkatt1
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:47 PM   #10

hmm im kind of iffy about them charging my credit card upfront...how long does it take for them to ship me a new printer?