Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

Went to the local Staples today to buy an ip4200 for $100 (130 minus a $30 mail in rebate), and was surprised to see a stack of ip6600D's selling for the same price ('list price' $199, 'your price' $129, minus a $30 mail in rebate). I bought the 4200 anyway, since most of my printing is text, along with some DVD's and photos, and the 6600 sacrifices the 4200's large black pigment text cartridge for two additional light-color cartridges. Plus, I have no use for the card slots and lcd offered by the 6600.

I'm assuming that whatever advantages the ip6600 may offer for photo printing, the ip4200 will be superior for text in terms of quality, speed, and cost. Can anyone confirm this?

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming that whatever advantages the ip6600 may offer for photo printing, the ip4200 will be superior for text in terms of quality, speed, and cost. Can anyone confirm this?

Zack
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip4000_pg2.html
[ip-4000 printhead]

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_..._i960_pg2.html
[i960 printhead]

While this is the ip4000 and i960 printhead, the idea remains the same. The ip4200 is going to have a design like the ip4000... the longer set being the 320 pigmented black nozzles where the ip6600d is going to have a design more like the i960... 512 nozzles per color which are going to in part large and part small... not sure the count but I can guess 128 big nozzles and 384 small ones.

What this translates to in simple terms is what you bought has the ability to print more each stroke assuming my assertion is correct... but even without this the text mode is done with a pigmented ink. Text printing was a strong point of the older ip4000/ip3000/i860 and others. And you are correct in thinking it's cheaper because the big black costs less per area printed than those smaller cartridges.. and the ip6600D doesn't have a big pigmented black.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The ip4200 printhead does in fact match your description.

Unfortunately, I've been disappointed in the text print quality I've been able to get on plain paper with the 4200 so far. The problem is that the ink bleeds slightly into the paper, causing fuzziness and the odd jaggie at the edge of letters. I've played around the intensity slider under 'color options', and reducing the intensity to around -30 helps, but the plain paper text print quality is still signficantly WORSE than what I get with my 5 year old Lexmark Z42 using generic non-oem ink! I've tried two different papers so far, and the Lexmark is visibly cleaner with both. Is there a particular brand of plain paper that is known to work with Canon inks? Any other adjustments that might help improve text quality?

And, as I mentioned in another thread, it turns that the IP4200 will not work with Classic under Mac OSX, so I will have to return this printer and get an IP4000 instead. Or, just go back to my old, buggy, non-CD printing Lexmark...

Zack
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:15 PM   #4

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. The ip4200 printhead does in fact match your description.

Unfortunately, I've been disappointed in the text print quality I've been able to get on plain paper with the 4200 so far. The problem is that the ink bleeds slightly into the paper, causing fuzziness and the odd jaggie at the edge of letters. I've played around the intensity slider under 'color options', and reducing the intensity to around -30 helps, but the plain paper text print quality is still signficantly WORSE than what I get with my 5 year old Lexmark Z42 using generic non-oem ink! I've tried two different papers so far, and the Lexmark is visibly cleaner with both. Is there a particular brand of plain paper that is known to work with Canon inks? Any other adjustments that might help improve text quality?

And, as I mentioned in another thread, it turns that the IP4200 will not work with Classic under Mac OSX, so I will have to return this printer and get an IP4000 instead. Or, just go back to my old, buggy, non-CD printing Lexmark...
Your description of the paper I find to be somewhat odd but not totally unbelieveable. This generation of Canon does use a high amount of ink page, so much so this could be the reason why when in duplex mode the printer will not use the pigment black but rather go for a mix of some pigment and a dathering of colors. While I agree the ink wicks a bit... in contrast to my epson r200 the text output was better... though my hp psc 950 wasn't too shabby in contrast.

Have a look see at some examples of other printers
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...rinter-09.html

My results have been decent even on aftermarket ink... wish I could say what paper I was buying.. the discount office depot brand of inkjet paper. If you were keeping the printer it's worth trying other paper.

But yes... i've tested the 4200 drivers on the ip3000 and they totally mucked up... and I can see there are no OS9 drivers for the ip4200. I imagine since the specs are similar the ip5000 driver is worth checking out. I don't have a ip4200 to test, so I have no idea the effect.
http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplSe...8&TRF=MAIN

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5

I had seen the Tom's Hardware guide article, and the text printing I am getting with the IP4200 seems to be bleeding a bit more than what the review shows for the IP4000 and 5000. (Of course, differences in the paper used could possibly be responsible for this).

Is there any reason to think that the older, less fade-resistant pigment ink used in the IP4000/5000 may bleed less on plain paper than the new pigment ink used in the IP4200? Problem is, the only place which still carries the IP4000 at a reasonable price will not allow the printer to be returned after the inks have been opened, so I won't be able to run a test at home.

Zack
Old Nov 12, 2005, 5:28 PM   #6

When printing just text on plain paper I print in grayscale & draft mode. This is on the iP4000. In fact that is my default setting for the printer.

I agree that on cheap paper (and who doesn't like cheappaper)the standard setting causes some bleeding but on draft the text is very well defined.

A good quality 20lb inkjet paper will make a difference too.

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip! Yup, choosing greyscale did help (does this make use of the photo black in addition to the pigment black?). Not sure what you mean by 'draft' mode; the only text mode offered by IP4200 is called 'printing a composite document'; you can then choose 'detailed' and move a slider towards 'fast' or towards 'fine'. Moving the slider one notch towards 'fast' certainly helps with the bleeding, but at the expense of making the printing less smooth (you can see the dots). Moving the slider one notch towards 'fine' definitely makes things look cleaner, but on this setting printing is VERY slow. However, for those times one needs a document to really look good, it's a useful option -- the text quality is ALMOST as good as my old Lexmark Z42...

Zack

Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:52 PM   #8

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! Yup, choosing greyscale did help (does this make use of the photo black in addition to the pigment black?). Not sure what you mean by 'draft' mode; the only text mode offered by IP4200 is called 'printing a composite document'; you can then choose 'detailed' and move a slider towards 'fast' or towards 'fine'. Moving the slider one notch towards 'fast' certainly helps with the bleeding, but at the expense of making the printing less smooth (you can see the dots). Moving the slider one notch towards 'fine' definitely makes things look cleaner, but on this setting printing is VERY slow. However, for those times one needs a document to really look good, it's a useful option -- the text quality is ALMOST as good as my old Lexmark Z42...

Zack

Not sure about the settings for the ip4200 as far as draft mode, but the previous versions havecheck boxes for print quality (high, standard, draft, and custom)

Actually I would think that the only pigmented black would be used for greyscale (plain paper setting)and the dye based black would be used for color mode since the other color inks are dye based.

EDIT: Guess I should mention I am referring to Windows drivers
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote