Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

Just discovered, and confirmed with Canon tech support, that the IP4200 (and all other x200 pixma printers) cannot print from an application running in Classic under Mac OSX. This is a deal breaker for me, since I still do all of my writing and text printing using Word 5.1a (don't get me started on how much I hate Office, and I need formatting features that aren't available on other non-Micorsoft word processors).

Canon did release OS9/classic drivers for the IP4000, so I guess I will have to return the 4200 and try to find a place which still stocks the 4000. I'm really bummed about this. Has anyone else tried to find a work-around or hack that would allow the 4200 to print under Classic? Canon claims that the IP4000 driver will not work with the 4200 (hardware is claimed to be completely different), but I suppose I will give it a try...

Thanks for any advice!

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Canon did release OS9/classic drivers for the IP4000, so I guess I will have to return the 4200 and try to find a place which still stocks the 4000. I'm really bummed about this. Has anyone else tried to find a work-around or hack that would allow the 4200 to print under Classic? Canon claims that the IP4000 driver will not work with the 4200 (hardware is claimed to be completely different), but I suppose I will give it a try...

http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplSe...8&TRF=MAIN

The exact results of my brief test with the ip4200 drivers on the ip3000 printer was in normal text mode everything was dandy. In graphics though everything was screwy... as in things printed double sized with lots of empty space between the dots. The ip5000 might be just close enough to the ip4200 that it has a chance in heck of working, but don't blame me if it doesn't.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:41 AM   #3

The link you posted doesn't seem be working (access blocked), but I did try the OS9 drivers for both the IP4000 and IP5000. No joy, unfortunately. With both drivers, trying to print with the IP4200 under Classic generates an error messge that 'printer cannot be found'.

So, I guess my only option is to return the IP4200 and look for an IP4000.

Zack

Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
The link you posted doesn't seem be working (access blocked), but I did try the OS9 drivers for both the IP4000 and IP5000. No joy, unfortunately. With both drivers, trying to print with the IP4200 under Classic generates an error messge that 'printer cannot be found'.

So, I guess my only option is to return the IP4200 and look for an IP4000.
-list of what printers havw what drivers... japanese but but chart is readable by english speakers-
http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/ip-series.html

Under windows I had to install the ip4200 in a funny way. I had to say it was over on some network port that it couldn't verify... or was it the old style printer port... then manualy change the port to reflect the local usb printer.

I checked out turboprint because I heard they had a mac solution, but it is an OSX only solution.

But yes... since they are not offering direct support for os9 the sure fire solution is to go with a model that does work. Looks like the pixus ip4100 aka the pixma ip4000 has the greatest range of platforms supported.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:13 PM   #5

I returned the ip4200, and got an ip5000. Unfortunately, the angst continues.

It works fine with every program when my G4 is booted into OS 10.3.3, and every program when it is booted into 9.2.2. However, when I try to print from Word 5.1a (the reason for this whole ridiculous exercise) while running classic, the printer won't print text -- in response to the print command it just spits out a blank page. If there is a graphic image embedded in the word document, then it will print the graphic image. Additionally, it 'sees' page breaks, and if a text document is two pages long then it will spit out two blank pages. If I boot into 9.2.2, then the printer will print documents from Word 5.1a flawlessly.

Canon tech support is out of ideas; I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Pixma drivers while booted into 9.2.2, I've rebuilt my desktop, I've repaired permissions on my OSX drive, run Disk Warrior on my the drive containing OS9 and Word 5.1, etc. I realize that this is now getting pretty far afield for a forum intended for digital photography, but if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work I'd be extremely grateful. Otherwise, I'm going to have to return the printer and give up.

Thanks,
Zack
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:32 PM   #6

Hello Zack,┬*You┬*said :"Just discovered, and confirmed with Canon tech support, that the IP4200 (and all other x200 pixma printers) cannot print from an application running in Classic under Mac OSX."┬*It's exactly the same for me.┬* But I don't want return my ip4200. I think I'll use PrintToPdf with Classic applications (I use Word6 for example) and print then the pdf with my printer...
roseau63 is offline   Reply With Quote