Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:55 PM   #1

If you do alot of printing, go to staples and buy an epson printer and buy the 2 year extended plan for 15 bucks.Last week my 3 month old epson r200 stopped working cause of the waste ink counter.I called up staples and told them of the problem.They told me I had to deal with epson for the first year.I told them that was unacceptble and wanted my money back for the plan.They said they would refund my mony but had to deduct money for the 3 months that I had the plan.I said that was unacceptable and wanted to talk to a manager.The manager asked what was wrong and I stated I wanted a refund for the plan.The manager said that they would just send me a staples gift card for the cost of the printer and I can just throw the old one away.They also said I can spend the gift card on anything in the store so I'll either buy the r320 or Cannon IP6600D.Anyhow, I reset the ink counter and added an ink catcher bottle and its good as new.

My question now is, I just recieved my giftcard and am trying to make up my mind what I want now.I have an epson r800 and an epson r200.I an thinking of trying the new cannon.Does the IP6600D have the ability to print on Disks?

Does the Cannon print nicer than the r320?I dont really have to get another printer that prints on disks but it would be nice to see what a 9600dpi printed DVD looks compared to the 5760dip epson.

I do notice, especially with black, when printing DVD's with the epson r200, their is minor banding always evident even out of the box and the inner hub of the DVD's print slightly lighter on the epson r200.This does not happen with the r800.The r800 prints a far nicer DVD than the r200.I usually print my DVD covers with the r200 and the DVD's with the r800.Since I already have an CIS kit for both epsons, I'll prolly keep both epsons and give the new printer to my girlfriend so she has a nice printer to print photos and get her a CIS kit for Christmas.

Should I get her the Cannon or the Epson?Is their a way to make the IP6600D print on DVD's?

Thanks in advance.

Plump

plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:45 PM   #2

ip6600 on 'sale' at staples for $124 with 25 rebate if you can find it.

see fatwallet for details

that ip4000 is 99 with a $50 rebate
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:53 AM   #3

The US Canon's won't print on cd's. The Epson will definately do a better print. The 320 is exactly the same as the R200 but it has more bells and whistles. The R200 is probably the best printer valuefor the money ever made, in my opinion. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience with the one you bought. If you use the right aftermarket cartridge and ink the cartridges are easy and reliable to refill.
BOB_DOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:18 PM   #4

I havent really had any problems with r200.I am just curious to know how the cannon ip6600D performs compared to r200 or r320.Like I said I have an r200 and an r800 and both work great.Its just that if you print DCD's with the r200, if you look VERY close at the printed DVD, you will see very small banding as compared to the r800.It's not the kind of banding that a clogged print head causes.It's just how the r200's print.The r800 is far superior compared to the r200 as far as print quality goes.

I already have 2 working printers that print on DVD's.I am just intrigued to see what a print resolution of 9600dpi looks like as compared to the 5760dpi that epson offers.

R200 and r800 both have the same DPI rating but the r800 definatly prints finer on DVD's.

Can you buy a non US version of the Cannon IP6600D that would print on CD's/DVD's?If not, than how hard is it to modify the US version to print on disks?Why does the US version leave out the DVD printing feature?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:47 PM   #5
JPL

The R320 has been replaced with the redesign R340 ($199.99).

The R320currently has a $50 rebate on it so your final cost is around $129.99. The price will most likely drop further.

I suggest that you take a memory card with one of your favorite pictures on it and go to a local store to get a printout on each of the printers.

Only "your" eyes can really make the final call on which one is a better photo printer.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:19 PM   #6

I agree with you.I was just hoping someone here might have some experience with the new cannon.I have only ever use Epson and HP.I prefer Epson so far.

What is the difference between the r320 and the r340?Other than looks, I cant tell any difference from epson's website.Is the r340 better than the r320 or did they just change the looks so people would buy the next model?
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:38 PM   #7

eyeguy wrote:
Quote:
ip6600 on 'sale' at staples for $124 with 25 rebate if you can find it.

see fatwallet for details

that ip4000 is 99 with a $50 rebate
I would get a IP4000/IP5000

1. Nice sleek black

2. Flat Top good place to put a laptop

3. 27 ml of pigment black great for text pages

4.Three colors produce pretty much thesame photo quality as 6

5. Easy to refill the carts or buy after-market carts that cost as a little as a $1-4

6. Canon over Epson

Also note that the Canon USAmodels can be enabled to print on cd.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:10 AM   #8

can the IP 6600D be enabled to print on CD's?

Does the 4000/5000 also offer the 9600 DPi like the 6600D does?

Can the ink cartridges be filled easilt like the 4000/5000 and can you buy a Cis Kit for the 6600D?????
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:41 AM   #9

plumpkatt1 wrote:
Quote:
can the IP 6600D be enabled to print on CD's?
Quote:
YESIT CAN BE
Quote:

Does the 5000 also offer the 9600 DPi like the 6600D does?

YES:
Quote:
Quote:
Can the ink cartridges be filled easilt like the 4000/5000 and can you buy a Cis Kit for the 6600D?????
Quote:
Why bother with an expensive CIS when refilling carts is easy and cost $1 per cart in bulk ink or buying goodcarts is a whopping $4 and takes 20 seconds to add a new one.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote