Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:28 PM   #11

seyeguy wrote:
Quote:
if you are still looking

the best printer for under 150 might be the ip4000 from staples for under $50.

it is $99 with a $50 rebate on clearance .........

got a link?
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:58 PM   #12

Calling Staples right now...for 50 bucks I'll just go pick one up!

EDIT: The local Staples says 150 with a 50 dollar rebate. If you can provide me with a store for them to call they said they'd match it.
whomhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:19 AM   #13

I have an R300 and and RX500 printer scanner. I also have the Canon ip3000 ip5000 and the new ip4200. I have had no problems at all with the Epson's an have used them extensively. The Epson printers are easier to refill, if you have the right accessories and ink. The original cartridges do not refill. The Canon machines are ok but the print quality will not compaire with the Epson. I use the Canon printers as business machines and the 6 color Epson for photos.
BOB_DOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:37 AM   #14

About the new Canon chip cartridge. The chip will shut you down when the ink in the tank is out but the printer will let you disable the ink level indicator. You do have to wade through about 5 intimidating harrassing threatning messages to do so. You have to do this for each cartridge. Once you get the chips shut down, you can refill and print with very little trouble. The threat to void your warranty is bogus. Here is the deal. Canon cannot void any warranty because you refill your cartridge, or don't use Canon ink. The Magnuson-Moss act is a federal law that spells out what companies can and cannot do concerning warranties. One thing that is forbidden is for any company to include what they call a "tie-in sales provision". In short, Ford cannot void your warranty because you do not use their brand of oil (Motorcraft) They claim that they will not be liable for damage from refilled cartridges. Here is kicker. I know from personal experience that there are at least 4 things that will cause the printer not to print. The sympton are all the same. You can have mechanical failure such as the printhead can have a crack in it . You can have electrical failure such as a single burned out wire. You can have a defective cartridge. I have had original Canon cartridges right out of the box have a stopped up vent. Then you can have a stopped up printhead. Canon cannot tell what your problem is by talking on the phone. I refill my 4200 and the yellow quit. I told the rep that I was refilling. He tried to blame it on that. When I challanged him, he agreed to just replace my printhead. It turned out that I had desaturated the yellow sponge and it was just starving for ink.
BOB_DOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:48 AM   #15

Thank you Bob_Dowell for that last post,

It does a very good job of explaining how a very expert user can shut down the chip.

But a side question is ignored--can a user find a third party prefilled cartridges for use
in the new style Canon's as one can for the BCI-6 cartridge line?

And for the less expert or more intimidated, how many will wade through 25 intimidating and harassing messages to get their printer user friendly?

As for me, I think I will simply keep my old style Canon's and avoid the hassle. And hope that before they wear out, that a work around for the chip is found or a class action law suit forces Canon to stop this consumer rip off chip crap.-----which also forces the consumer to pay an extra $2.25 per cartridge for the chip that rips them off.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:27 PM   #16

Osage wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Bob_Dowell for that last post,

It does a very good job of explaining how a very expert user can shut down the chip.

But a side question is ignored--can a user find a third party prefilled cartridges for use
in the new style Canon's as one can for the BCI-6 cartridge line?

You can't presently. I have to look at the new tanks, but from the photos it looks like the chip is on the clip and it looks like the clip can be removed. So if the replacement tanks could hold the OEM canon clip with the OEM canon chip the problem is solved.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:29 PM   #17

Sorry, got put a vote in for the Epson R200, R300, R320 series. I've had my R200 for about a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier. Printouts are fabulous, I've had no problem with clogged heads (and I live in very dry Idaho). Black and white is even quite nice. Sepia prints are fantastic on Kodak Ultima. Completely reliable and maintenance free. For less than $100, you wouldn't go wrong.
-Brett
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote