Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1

Would like to do 8x10's, good b&w performance, speed isn't so much an issue. Brand isn't crucial, but kinda partial to Canon. What do the experts say??
whomhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:22 AM   #2

I have an older Canon i860 and am very pleased with the results of prints straight from the camera. I paid under $100.00 after rebates and things and I see some good deals on the newer PIXMA line, although I haven't seen printouts from these I can only assume they are as good or better than an i860.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at steves printer reviews, it helped me choose.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:59 AM   #3

Just want to make a slight distintion. The newest canon printer line up now uses chipped cartridges which for now prevents users from using anything but Canon OEM cartridges. That will change if and when a workaround for the chips are found.

Its the discontinued Canon line up that you might want to look at as its a better option if consumable costs economy is also an object. Nothing wrong with the i860 but its hard to find now. Still readily available is the Canon pixma ip4000( very similar in layout to the i860) or the ip5000 which has an additional photo printing cartridge and uses slightly smaller ink drops in some modes.

Lots of posts here on the relative advantages of either the ip4000 vs. the ip5000. But both will land in your price range with careful shopping. And for that matter, the MP750,
based on the ip4000 printer engine can sometimes be found for under $150. which would add copy and scan to the mix.

But thats just what I am adding, other may wish to weigh in with other advise or to make other distintions. But if you plan to use canon OEM cartridges, by all means look to the new Canon line up also.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:05 AM   #4

So the general consensus is those two Canon models?

Where are the Epson fans at? I was looking forward to their pov.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:57 AM   #5

whomhead wrote:
Quote:
So the general consensus is those two Canon models?

Where are the Epson fans at? I was looking forward to their pov.
I wasn't pleased with the r200. The output was beautiful but it had major issues... not that it's a big deal as the printer costs only a little more than the ink.... but I felt i'd be looking for a new printer after the warranty expired. Most of the printer's i've owned I've kept in service for at least 3 years. The r300 is from my understanding based on the same engine.

But in all fairness I found the epson a tad better for greyscale even though it didn't have multi-levels of black.

The new hp 8250 looks interesting with it's inktanks but the older 8150 that takes the #100 photogrey cartriage is really good. I see it on the referb circuit for $100ish.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:03 AM   #6

Can you elaborate on the r300 issues? The mother-in-law wanted me to tell her which printer to buy us for Xmas and I just emailed her and told her the r300! Am I going to regret this??
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:33 AM   #7

whomhead wrote:
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the r300 issues? The mother-in-law wanted me to tell her which printer to buy us for Xmas and I just emailed her and told her the r300! Am I going to regret this??
I don't know... it's not like I haven't heard of people doing perfectly well on the r300... my experence on the r200 was poor to say the least. First off I got a full diaper warning within 3 months or so. I rerouted the tube but as it turns out my waste station hose connected to the vacuum pump got disconnected... actually the entire waste station became unjarred and I think that was the reason I had ink pouring out of the printer. It got a hard core clog pretty much a month after I bought the sucker, which might have been a result of the gasket on the waste station that keeps the inkhead from drying out. Windex did clear that up, but the huge mess of ink I believe splashed on an alignment reflector resulting in an error... and took it in for offical service... which basicly means referbished printer and free ink. I haven't used it since, though I probally should as it's more than likely clogged from lack of use since summer and another warranty service might mean free ink.

Personaly i'd avoid the sub $300 epsons. The output is top notch but they are very fickle creatures.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:41 PM   #8

So one example of a bad r300?

I'm seeing a few other threads...starting to worry! How is Epson dealing with the problems?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:26 PM   #9

whomhead wrote:
Quote:
So one example of a bad r300?

I'm seeing a few other threads...starting to worry! How is Epson dealing with the problems?
Replace the printer with a referbished one with free ink. It might be possible that a waste ink pad full error might result in the pad being replaced, but on the r200 even that isn't practical. Because there is really no frame you have to assemble the thing with a jig and break the bottom plastic. It's possible the r300 might be better built but I suspect with average use the average user will get a full ink pad warning just after the warranty expires which requires service... or the scc utility to reset the counter if your able to either remove the diaper or reroute the waste ink.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:50 PM   #10

if you are still looking

the best printer for under 150 might be the ip4000 from staples for under $50.

it is $99 with a $50 rebate on clearance .........
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote