Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:20 AM   #1

I recently picked up a brand new pixma 5000ip for $80.

Then i went to another store and saw the pixma 8500 for $200.

so now i am salivating over the idea of a 'rich' 8 ink printer. But after reading reviews on the web, it seems as though maybe i should stick with the ip5000 as it's resolution is 2x that of the ip8500.

So what does everyone think? buy the 8500 and dump the 5000, or stick with the 5000?

bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:22 AM   #2

bigcountry wrote:
Quote:

so now i am salivating over the idea of a 'rich' 8 ink printer. But after reading reviews on the web, it seems as though maybe i should stick with the ip5000 as it's resolution is 2x that of the ip8500.

So what does everyone think? buy the 8500 and dump the 5000, or stick with the 5000?

This is entirely up to you... keep in mind that the running costs on the 8500 are going to be higher as they use those light inks in higher quanities than the others. And the 8500 isn't a general purpose printer like the ip5000... it has no dedicated dye black. Text will be good, but not as good or as cheap.

Resolution is a rather deceptive figure as it takes many dots to make a given shade, where the ip8500 has the Red and green (IIRC) shades already. Less dots per given shade tends to make the output more smooth and look less grainy.

But most importantly... where ever did you find the ip8500 for $200? That's a pretty good deal.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:33 AM   #3

there is a local place that has just a few left. if you want one, i could possibly pick one up for you.

I want to be able to print off the best photo quality possible...i have a b/w laser printer for text.

bc

Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:04 PM   #4

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
bigcountry wrote:
Quote:

This is entirely up to you... keep in mind that the running costs on the 8500 are going to be higher as they use those light inks in higher quanities than the others. And the 8500 isn't a general purpose printer like the ip5000... it has no dedicated dye black. Text will be good, but not as good or as cheap.

Resolution is a rather deceptive figure as it takes many dots to make a given shade, where the ip8500 has the Red and green (IIRC) shades already. Less dots per given shade tends to make the output more smooth and look less grainy.

But most importantly... where ever did you find the ip8500 for $200? That's a pretty good deal.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...500/page_1.htm

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

looks like i am going to stick with the ip5000

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/pri...000/page-6.htm

thanks for the links.