Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:45 PM   #1

Default More questions for i850 vs i950

My S600 just died. The print head went out/clogged as with my last printer. What are the differences between the 850/950 besides the card reader, 3 vs. 6 color, and b&w resolution?
I print about one picture maybe two a month. My S600 did a great job in my opinion. From that comment, you could assume I'm not too picky about quality. I mostly do b&w text and color prints from websites, kids homework, etc. What is important to me is speed. This is the main reason I'm considering the i850/i950. I hate waiting 14 minutes for an 8x10. Also the borderless prints are cool option. I donít think the 3 vs. 6 colors are a big deal for my usage. However I donít want a printer, which will not have parts/ink avail, be 2 years down the road. My Epson was like that. I need a printer where the nozzles wonít clog. Price between the two isnít a big deal either, but donít want to buy something I donít use. Will the photo colors be used for everyday prints, not photos? And will the nozzles for the photo inks plug if not used but once a month? I hate to by a printer where the print head costs as much as the printer to replace. Is the 950 worth the extra dough if youíre not using it for photos often? I also notice the resolution of the 850 b&w is 600/600 vs. 4200/1200 on the 950. Wouldnít the 850 make poorer color photos since it used the black to make photo? Or is the black ink not used for color photos? 950 is about $230 and the 850 $180 and $30 rebate. I donít want to buy old technology, as this should hopefully last about 3+ years. Usually the rebate means they may discontinue the items. I will probably continue using 3rd party ink refills and cheap paper. However, when I do make a photo print, I want it to be nice. Any suggestions?
?
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:07 AM   #2

Okay a new printhead for the canon i950 is 100 bucks. Yes if you dont use it at least once a month you will have clogging problems as you will with all dye based inkjets.
For your purposes it Sounds like you need two printers.

1. A laser printer that does your everyday printing at a low cost.

2. A photo printer dedicated to the task of doing photos. I would probably opt out to get a olympus dye sub printer d400 or somethgin similar that does 8x10 prints.

Those two printers together will give you the results and more that you are looking for. The only drawback would probably be the price. But the cool part is that setup should last you for at least 4-5 years with no problems on clogging.

Sounds like if you were happy with your 600 for photos. I would almost say yeah go with the i850 but you will have clogging problems on the color ink because of the fact you dont use them at least once a month. I am assuming that your current canon still prints black well but just not color. YOu shoudl be able to call up canon and buy another printhead from them.

Also you may want to consider the epson c82 since it uses a pigment particle printing system that lets you still produce good prints and still have a clog resistent ink. Although the canon printer still produces prints faster. It may solve your ink clogging problems.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 4:05 AM   #3

I think you have answered your own question :-)

If you aren't printing lots of photos, then why pay more for the i950?

I have the i850, and as Steve said in his review, for a 3 color printer, it prints as good as most 6 color printers, and I agree!!

Is it as good as the i950? Maybe not technically, but to the human eye, under normal viewing conditions...

The quality of my photos, 4X6 AND 8X10 are EXCELLENT!!

The i850 has been out since Sept. and no ones reported a clogging problem, so I don't expect any problems now. But if there is, the print heard comes out and makes cleaning by the user very easy.

Don't buy into the "you need 2 printers, a laser for text and a photo inkjet or dye sub for dedicated photos.

Why do you think Canon made the i850?

Its very FAST, EASY to use, GREAT TEXT, GREAT PHOTOS, a great price, cheap ink (both OEM and 3rd party) and if you use something like Office Depot paper (then cheap paper too :-)

I don't regret getting an i850 in the least, and I expect to have the i850 3+ years or more.

- Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:29 PM   #4

I guess I should do the i850. Any Idea on the price of a new head?
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
I think you have answered your own question :-)

If you aren't printing lots of photos, then why pay more for the i950?

I have the i850, and as Steve said in his review, for a 3 color printer, it prints as good as most 6 color printers, and I agree!!

Is it as good as the i950? Maybe not technically, but to the human eye, under normal viewing conditions...

The quality of my photos, 4X6 AND 8X10 are EXCELLENT!!

The i850 has been out since Sept. and no ones reported a clogging problem, so I don't expect any problems now. But if there is, the print heard comes out and makes cleaning by the user very easy.

Don't buy into the "you need 2 printers, a laser for text and a photo inkjet or dye sub for dedicated photos.

Why do you think Canon made the i850?

Its very FAST, EASY to use, GREAT TEXT, GREAT PHOTOS, a great price, cheap ink (both OEM and 3rd party) and if you use something like Office Depot paper (then cheap paper too :-)

I don't regret getting an i850 in the least, and I expect to have the i850 3+ years or more.

- Ivan
I'm sorry my friend but you have to take physics into account with history. All printers that use dye inks and are not used frequently will have clogging problems. The i850 uses dye inks on the colors in fact it uses the same exact ones as the 600 does. You will experience clogging problems. Also remember that those printheads are only rated to last about 750 full 8x10 prints. This is rated by canon specifically.

Also the price of a new printhead varies from printer to printer. I would check with canon on the price of your printhead. Here is the number for the canon estore 1-800-385-2155
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:15 PM   #6

You could probably buy three sets of print heads for the price of a "cheap laser printer". Buy the 850, take advantage of the text speed and print a simple color pie chart once a week if you're worried about the heads clogging. 95% user approval on CNet
bigiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:21 PM   #7

> The i850 uses dye inks on the colors in fact it uses the same exact ones as the 600 does. You will experience clogging problems. <

I take it YOU DON'T OWN an i850 yourself?

I haven't heard of anyone with an i850 reporting a clogged head YET, have YOU?

I think the OCCASIONAL clogging isn't really the end of the world, nor a good reason to abandon all ink jet printers (and certainly not a good reason not to own an i850) :-)

- Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
> The i850 uses dye inks on the colors in fact it uses the same exact ones as the 600 does. You will experience clogging problems. <

I take it YOU DON'T OWN an i850 yourself?

I haven't heard of anyone with an i850 reporting a clogged head YET, have YOU?

- Ivan

Actually yes. I've seen them returned. I've also seen some returned for random catastrophic failure.

Its also interesting that a 3 year old epson 980 can match up against the canon i850 quite well in about half the cost per page and photo quality.

Also it takes a while to really clog your printheads.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:59 AM   #9

After we get past the 'ugliness' of some of the posts here, may I add my 2 cents..the I850 is a good printer, but the S820 is superior and costs less (the moderator of this forum already told me so), so buying the I950 would be sensible for someone on the cutting edge who prints several prints a day, but if you're only printing a couple a week, do yourself a big favor, and buy the S820....it is about $120 at www.buy.com, with free shipping, that's where I got mine, and I am more than happy with it!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings, Johnny... :lol:
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoangels
After we get past the 'ugliness' of some of the posts here.
Blessings, Johnny... :lol:
Thanks!!!!