Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2003, 3:28 PM   #1

Default Canon i950 vs S830D

I have seen the postings comparing the i950 to the s900 and to the s850, but none that seem to mention the Canon s830d vs the i950. When I compare the specs on the Canon web site, the 950 looks faster, has more paper feeding options and in general looks to be an upgrade on the s830D, yet it sells for about $50 less. What am I missing? Any comparison between these two would be helpful. I was all set to buy the s830d, but now am a little undecided. Tks.
kcohen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2003, 4:50 PM   #2

The 830d Has a card reader on it as well as the ability to print directly from your camera. The i950 is a newer model. Has higher resolution and is faster. The real difference is that you have to do everything through your computer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 8:26 PM   #3

I was told that you get higher resolution going through the computer than going direct from camera (or card) to the printer. Does anyone have any comment on that??
kcohen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:56 AM   #4

That is usually the case with most printers. However with the 830D its only faster to print off your computer.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:11 AM   #5

Excuse me, but isn't the main advantage of digital photography being able to 'manipulate' your captured image, and fix resolution, red-eye, saturation, brightness and contrast problems, among others?
I could not imagine ever printing an image from my digicam, without adding the normal and necessary modifications, and the most enjoyable part is adding my own personal software changes!
I do not understand why anyone would want to print an image, direct from their camera, without correcting it with at least one software editor. No correction or altering brings you back to being at the mercy of your local photolab!!!!!!!
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:20 AM   #6

very true.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:28 AM   #7

Any comment on the printout between i950 and S820? Would I be seeing a huge different? I owe a S820.
lightings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:56 PM   #8

No, you won't see any difference unless you are magnifying your prints. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you evidence of this.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:34 AM   #9

Which is the cheap and best photo paper for S820? I have the option:

1)Epson Economy Photo Paper
2)Mitsubishi Glossy Photo Paper
3)Canon Glossy Photo Paper (GP-301)
4)Kodak Photo Glossy Paper
lightings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 9:09 PM   #10

Well I'm gonna give you a link to buy.com

Epson premium glossy paper(very good paper equal to the cannon pro paper) 22.90+shipping for 50 sheets letter sized.

I'd almost reccomend the glossy photo paper from epson but for about 6 bucks more for a 50 pack you can get a paper that is in reality so much better.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=31281&loc=101

Also for a few dollars more above that you can get the epson professional luster paper. This paper has a huge advantage over the regular glossy papers in that instead of seeing about 5-6 different reflections of a single light source across the paper like you would with glossy you only see one or two very smooth well spread out reflections. Basically this paper cuts the glare down alot.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=31281&loc=101