Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:53 PM   #1

there is great info on this forum,...but I searched trying to find info aboutall these printer ink options.

Looking for

"THE BEST"Epson Ink Replacement Options

such as:

"Genuine" Epsonreplacement cartridge
an obvious choice for quality and reliability - BUTthe cost isalmost as much as the printer itself. It was almost $85 for genuine replacement cartidges of my $89 printer.

Epson "Compatible" replacement cartridge
Woah there are so so many different 3rd party ink manufactures that I'm scared to chose any - how do I know what'sgoodfor basic everyday photo printing?

Refillable Ink
Oh thehorror stories I've heardof ink jet refills gone bad. Appears to be an affordableoption but apparently not always successful

External Ink "Tank"
Wow,sounds like the ultimate hi-tech printing machine - probably the most practical andaffordable too,but I'm still unsure exactly how to do itand how the resultscompare to the actual cartridges. Seems complicated.

If I missed a good thread about these options please provide a link (thanks)

Otherwise, appreciate any help making the right choice
(btw my printer is an Epson Photo R200)
:G

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:17 AM   #2

ok, rule number 1, if you use non-epson ink, you need to get the profile.
I do not use refill, or epson cartridge, reason is they are either too expensive or too troublesome.

I am using tank-style, like http://www.InkRepublic.com
prints have no major different from Epson's.

by the way, mine is Epson R800.

RoseLoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:56 AM   #3

thanks for the recommendation.

i have been anxiously awaitingreplies to this post, but no go.

Maybe no one uses epson, or maybe the thread was covered some where else... i dont know... (if so please link me)

guess i will check back again.

also, any good threads on what aprofile is and how to get it?

thanks

BUMP
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:15 AM   #4

Ok... I'll see what I can do with my limited knowledge.

First a quick disclaimer... I don't do photo printing and as a result all the stuff about casts, bronzing, etc... goes right over my noggin... Overall though I suspect that Rose dealt with it nicely by mentioning ICC profiles

Right... My background is more about CIS (Continuous Ink Supply) kits which you referred to as "External Ink Tank"

Rather than repeat myself you can catch all my work, reviews, etc.. on that by going to http://www.continuousink.info/ and start reading

Now, Epson inks will work because they're designed to... but no matter what ink you get, you want something that you can use regularly... If you don't, irrespective of your choice, it'll clog your printer sooner or later.

Generic "Aftermarket" cartridges are, as you noted, all over the shop and it's nigh on impossible to find one that isn't "Recommended" by people with a funny idea of what "English" is... That makes it harder to know who's a marketing shill for the company or an experienced users.

You'd probably be best casting your eyes around this and the nifty-stuff.com forum for opinions from people who know what they're talking about, but it'll take a little while to work out who those people are. It's time worth spending compared to say the time you'd lose trying to unblock a print-head.

Refilling is covered extensively on nifty-stuff too but they're more Canon users there.. the premises aren't far off but with Epsons you need to reset the chips.. My recommendation on that score is to take a look at MIS Associates site ( http://www.inksupply.com/ )for their refillable ink cart kits... They have tons of experience, good support and the ink is first rate...

And just to finish off.. I personally use CIS kits because my business now revolves around them and also due to the fact that my other half is a teacher and does everything off my printers instead of using the "oh so reliable" photocopier at school. Costs less and the school are thinking of buying in my expertise

Anyways... hope that helps in your quest..

Martin

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:19 AM   #5

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
(btw my printer is an Epson Photo R200)
Forgot to mention...

Whatever you do, get the SSC Utility from here:
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

... and install the waste ink tank as per the instructions here...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

The money you save will be your own... and better yet, if you're NOT worried too much about your black being 100% black you can do a little judicious recycling of some of the waste ink into the black ink tank... but that's not recommended
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:12 PM   #6

thanks so much for the detail in your reply.
I will check out those pages.

Ilike the idea about the continuous ink supply tank, since it does not require changing the cartridges, and seems to be the least expensive option.

However, with that said, I do NOT do a great deal of printing. Maybe a dozen or more prints a month. I got my printer a few months back and so far have only printed 4- 8x10 full color photos and about 50 CD labels. The ink monitor shows half gone. But I am looking at doubling that and printing more at home. And before I start doing that, it would be nice to find a refill/replacement option.

In the past I've tried refilling and usinggeneric cartridge replacementson an HP printer, and had horrible luck with it. The replacements died half way through and the refills leaked. i'd rather not go that route again.

I am wondering if the CIS would even be anoption since I am not printing regularly. I would not want the head clogging up for sure.

Just trying to narrow it down.. any further thoughts would be appreciated.

-TG
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:19 PM   #7

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
However, with that said, I do NOT do a great deal of printing. Maybe a dozen or more prints a month. I got my printer a few months back and so far have only printed 4- 8x10 full color photos and about 50 CD labels. The ink monitor shows half gone. But I am looking at doubling that and printing more at home. And before I start doing that, it would be nice to find a refill/replacement option.
Ok... here's the thing.. if you don't do enough printing on a regular basis, eg: once every 2 or 3 days then you'll be running the risk of clogging your print head anyway. So you need to increase your printing somewhat to essentially exercise your printer.

Quote:
I am wondering if the CIS would even be an option since I am not printing regularly. I would not want the head clogging up for sure. Just trying to narrow it down.. any further thoughts would be appreciated.
In all honesty, if you're printing that little then a CIS is going to be a bit of a wasted investment until you start needing to change a cartridge more than once every couple of weeks (which is a lot of printing!). So, my personally recommendation would be to look at the new spongeless refillable cartridges from www.inksupply.com and get a refill kit... That should last you a considerable length of time and whilst you'll get a little messy when you first start getting to grips with refilling, you'll save money and pick up the skills fairly quickly..

Hope that helps
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:45 PM   #8

thanks!

maybe I will give refillables another shot
perhapsthe system has improved over the years.

could notlocate a "kit"for the epson r200, maybe i missed it???

addingall the parts individuallybrought a totalofabout $100 USD.

Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:04 AM   #9

I am one of those lucky people who has had great success with two CIF systems,both from a well known chineese company,one system I have had for over a year. Even so I am seriously considering in-situ refillable carts when these CIF s give up the ghost. I think for the moderate user,say less than 100 prints a week the refillable carts are the way to go, it has taken me a while to come to this conclusion and I have been influenced by some respected posters on this site. there are always possible problems with CIF hoses, extra desk space etc,so its refillables for me next time.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:45 AM   #10

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
thanks!

maybe I will give refillables another shot
perhapsthe system has improved over the years.

could notlocate a "kit"for the epson r200, maybe i missed it???

addingall the parts individuallybrought a totalofabout $100 USD
You're right... my bad...