Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:25 AM   #1

I'm about the purchase a new inkjet printer and have narrowed my search down to either the Canon Pixma ip4200 or the Pixma ip5200. From what I can gather the differences are:

1) ip5200 has much larger print head with 3584-nozzles compared to ip4200 print heqad which has 1856-nozzles.

The larger print head means the ip5200 can print faster, and should theoretically suffer less from banding due to less passes being made.

2) ip5200 is faster:

- ip5200 can print borderless 4" x 6" in approx 36 secs, compared to approx 51 secs.

- ip5200 prints up to 30 ppm (Max), 15 ppm (Std) in Mono, compared to 29 ppm (Max), 14.7 ppm (Std) in Mono

- ip5200 prints up to 24 ppm (Max), 11.7 ppm (Std) in Colour, compared to 19 ppm (Max), 10.7 ppm (Std) in Colour

3) ip5200 uses more ink according to Canon specifications.

Are there any other differences ?

Also, I don't understand why the ip5200 would use more ink, since even though it has more ink nozzles, surely it must expel the same amount of ink as the ip4200. Or is it the case that the more nozzles a print head has, the more ink it uses ?

Am I right in thinking that a replacement print-head for an ip5200 will cost quite a bit more than one for an ip4200 ?

If so, how much are the replacements print heads ?

Last of all, which one would you recommend I choose, and why ?
Defenestration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 1:39 AM   #2

Defenestration wrote:
Quote:
I'm about the purchase a new inkjet printer and have narrowed my search down to either the Canon Pixma ip4200 or the Pixma ip5200. From what I can gather the differences are:

1) ip5200 has much larger print head with 3584-nozzles compared to ip4200 print heqad which has 1856-nozzles.

The larger print head means the ip5200 can print faster, and should theoretically suffer less from banding due to less passes being made.

2) ip5200 is faster:

- ip5200 can print borderless 4" x 6" in approx 36 secs, compared to approx 51 secs.

- ip5200 prints up to 30 ppm (Max), 15 ppm (Std) in Mono, compared to 29 ppm (Max), 14.7 ppm (Std) in Mono

- ip5200 prints up to 24 ppm (Max), 11.7 ppm (Std) in Colour, compared to 19 ppm (Max), 10.7 ppm (Std) in Colour

3) ip5200 uses more ink according to Canon specifications.

Are there any other differences ?

Also, I don't understand why the ip5200 would use more ink, since even though it has more ink nozzles, surely it must expel the same amount of ink as the ip4200. Or is it the case that the more nozzles a print head has, the more ink it uses ?

Am I right in thinking that a replacement print-head for an ip5200 will cost quite a bit more than one for an ip4200 ?

If so, how much are the replacements print heads ?

Last of all, which one would you recommend I choose, and why ?
A printhead typicaly speaking costs 1/2 to 3/4 the value of the printer... except in japan but that could be I found an odd ball resource at some point and that wasn't taking shipping into account. Usually one considers a new printer before a printhead... life in the past has been estimated int he manual at about 18,000 pages of which 7200p were black, but cut that figure in about 1/2 if your printing text pages at 5% yield... wouch doesn't sound all that good but the truth of the matter is those heads while disposable last a couple of years depending on use. But I can't say how much an ip5200 printhead is as I know of no one selling one. I know of one place selling the qy6-0059 printhead for the ip4200.

http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/ge...ad_4455465.htm

First time I seen the qy6-061 listed which I think is the ip5200 printhead, but I don't honestly know.
http://shop.hitechemall.com/canon/in...er/prnhead.htm

Normal use and based on their numbers int he past worked out to be about a buck extra per tank provided your use was somewhat even, and anything you print above and beyond the 15th tank or so is a bonus... and at the very least it's covered by a warranty for a year at least it was for the ip3000/4000 and earlier series.

But I can't say which one would be better as i've not formaly met either one, but your reasoning is sound enough.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote