Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 44
Default

I just obtained a Canon CDR tray for my Pixma ip5000 printer (thank you to the elf at Canon USA parts who made the decision to start stocking these!) and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the construction quality -- I almost prefer my lovingly home-made cardboard tray!. In particular, the tiny center-hub clips which hold the CD in place look very fragile. Has anyone had a problem with these little clips breaking off? Are there tricks for inserting/removing the CD from the tray so as to minimize the danger of breaking the clips?

Thanks,
Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:19 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Mine has held up better than my Epson tray. It still looks and works fine after 3 months of use.

How did you get one from Canon USA?
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 44
Default

Call them up, tell them the part #, and give 'em your credit card! : )

Canon USA parts phone number is 732-521-7230
The part number for the CDR tray is QL2-0605-000
The part number for the CDR tray base unit is QM2-1239-000 (the base unit contains the little housing which holds the rollers; you snap this housing off of the new base unit and snap it on to the base unit already attached to your printer). They also have the tray insert for mini-CD's, but I have no use for it so didn't get one.

Total cost for tray and base unit (including shipping) was about $15.

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks Zack. I wish they had done that three months ago. I might just order them as spares.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:21 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Call them up, tell them the part #, and give 'em your credit card! : )

Canon USA parts phone number is 732-521-7230
The part number for the CDR tray is QL2-0605-000
The part number for the CDR tray base unit is QM2-1239-000 (the base unit contains the little housing which holds the rollers; you snap this housing off of the new base unit and snap it on to the base unit already attached to your printer). They also have the tray insert for mini-CD's, but I have no use for it so didn't get one.

Total cost for tray and base unit (including shipping) was about $15.

Zack
I had called partsnow.com about getting these parts and they told me that had them in stock. However when I asked them again a week later they now tell me they only have one tray left in stock.

But what I'm not happy about is partsnow.com keeps raising their price of this tray and shipping. I remember reading old messages here about them selling it for like $6 and shipping was like $4 or something. Now when I asked they want $13 just for the tray, and $8 ground shipping for a piece of plastic that weighs hardly nothing.

Sounds like its better to go through canon.

I was still debating if I want the rollers or not.


tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:05 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 44
Default

The rollers only cost about $1.75 from Canon, so go for it!

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
The rollers only cost about $1.75 from Canon, so go for it!

Zack
Well I called Canon this morning. The guy who answered sounded like he was gay, but anyways he claims they don't sell that part. He said who told you that, and I just said I read it on a message board.

Obviously he is lieing, since you bought it from them. Which ticks me off even more with them.

All the people on ebay are charging ripoff prices too. I guess I can't win.


tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:14 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 44
Default

Sorry to hear that -- I suspect that they may have been briefly selling the parts by mistake, someone didn't realize that stocking the parts apparently violates Canon's policy of not supporting CD printing on its USA printers.

>>>> The guy who answered sounded like he was gay, but anyways... <<<<<

What in the world does the Canon rep's sexual orientation have to do with anything? Would it be relevent if he sounded Black, or Jewish, or Italian, or...

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:36 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear that -- I suspect that they may have been briefly selling the parts by mistake, someone didn't realize that stocking the parts apparently violates Canon's policy of not supporting CD printing on its USA printers.

>>>> The guy who answered sounded like he was gay, but anyways... <<<<<

What in the world does the Canon rep's sexual orientation have to do with anything? Would it be relevent if he sounded Black, or Jewish, or Italian, or...

Zack
What in the world does it matter to you? And thanks for wasting my money calling long distance for something that didn't exist.

tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:26 PM.