Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

After reading many reviews of the i9900 I thought I had my mind made up that I was going to spend the extra cash and get a high quality printer. Now it seems the more I read (especially Steve's review of the ip5200) the more I am also considering saving a few bucks and going with either the ip5200, ip6600 or ip8500.

My priorities are 1. Photo quality, 2. Novelty of being able to print an occassional large print (ie wide carriage), 3. Cost I know there are other things to consider, but I am not overly concerned about speed, life of the ink, extra functions on the printer.

So basically my question is:

How would you rank these 4 printers in their ability to print an 8x10 photo?

From there I will try to determine how important it is to print an occassional print larger then 8x10 which of course would mean spending the extra $ for the i9900

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2

pelly wrote:
Quote:
After reading many reviews of the i9900 I thought I had my mind made up that I was going to spend the extra cash and get a high quality printer. Now it seems the more I read (especially Steve's review of the ip5200) the more I am also considering saving a few bucks and going with either the ip5200, ip6600 or ip8500.

My priorities are 1. Photo quality, 2. Novelty of being able to print an occassional large print (ie wide carriage), 3. Cost I know there are other things to consider, but I am not overly concerned about speed, life of the ink, extra functions on the printer.

So basically my question is:

How would you rank these 4 printers in their ability to print an 8x10 photo?

From there I will try to determine how important it is to print an occassional print larger then 8x10 which of course would mean spending the extra $ for the i9900

The IP8500 will produce a 8 x 10 probably as good as the 9900. The only thing it can't do is bigger then letter.

The 5200 is also a great printer but only has 3 colors plus photo black and a text black unlike the 8500 which has 8 colors dedicated for photos.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...500/page_1.htm

The 9900 is great but unless your a pro or you like doing a lot of 13 x 19 pictures it's just not worth the $400. The IP8500 will run you $300

The 5200 was just on sale here for $129.00 and for a 4 ink photo system at that price bracket it is pretty damn amazing.

I think the choice is between the 5200 and the 9900.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3

With the right profile the 3 color+ black Canons can make fantastic prints. I havean i560 (older model that does not use the photo black) set up to make prints that most people believe are from a lab. I have yet to hear anyone say that the extra colors of the 6000 or 8000 series provide a significant oreven noticeabledifference in quality compared to the 5000 series, particularly with the 1pl sized droplets.

If you want to keep the cost down, the 5200 should serve you well and allow you to get to know the Canon products. The 9900 would be nice for the occasional large print or panorama, but it seemsto me to be a bit of an overkill if you are not doing these types of photos very often. Cost wise, the occasional large print might be best left to the lab. Not that I wouldn't like to havea 9900if the price were right.

DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:05 PM   #4

What about the 4200? If the only difference is speed that may be the choice for me. If there is a difference in quality though, then that would be a different story. Any input on quality differences between the two?
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:56 PM   #5

pelly wrote:
Quote:
What about the 4200? If the only difference is speed that may be the choice for me. If there is a difference in quality though, then that would be a different story. Any input on quality differences between the two?

The nozzle count:

4200 = 1856

5200 = 3584

I would guess that would make a difference that some would notice.

I would go to the store and bring a digital camera with your favorite picture on it and print a 4 x 6from each.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:48 PM   #6

pelly,

Have you considered the Canon iP6600? It has received excellent user and professional reviews and you can purchase it online for under $200. I bought one from Dell for $158.95 w/ free shipping.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:34 PM   #7

I bought the ip5200 after considering the ip8500 (and its big brother).
Reason: dots per inch.
the ip8500 squirts bigger and less dots compared to the ip5200's 9600.
No big deal you say?
Dots per inch IS the Holy Grail.
Trying to get to the millions of grains in regular photography?
Better get as many dpi as you can.

Oh, the added ink colors on the ip8500?
Maybe a plus but Playboy magazine sure gets good skin tones with the old CYMK...
Y4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:50 AM   #8

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
The 5200 was just on sale here for $129.00 and for a 4 ink photo system at that price bracket it is pretty darn amazing.
Just worth noting that the iP5200 is likely to be cheaper because you can't get aftermarket cartridges for the ipX200 versions, the MP500 or the MP800 models at all until someone deals with the chip that these newer models have. Of course that's not to say that Canon are cashing in and making things cheaper on the actual printer.

For all that though the Canon OEM inks did come out quite well in some home brewed tests performed via the nifty-stuff forum. It's just worth noting if one of your requirements is cheaper than OEM printing.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote