Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1

I am considering purchasing a Continuous Ink Supply System for my Epson Stylus Photo 925 printer. It still prints beautiful photos, but I use more ink cleaning the heads than I do printing photos. Anyone with info that would help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:22 PM   #2

woodysworld wrote:
Quote:
I am considering purchasing a Continuous Ink Supply System for my Epson Stylus Photo 925 printer. It still prints beautiful photos, but I use more ink cleaning the heads than I do printing photos. Anyone with info that would help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Woody
Can I ask
- how often you use the printer?
- when do you find yourself doing cleaning ie: is it each time you fire up the printer (after a long breather of not printing)
- what inks are you using?

That might help with the actual head clogging issue to start with...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

I use Epson inks. The printer does sit idol for long periods of time between printing. A week or two. The prints are beautiful, but I cringe everytime I have to run the headcleaning utility. If you can help in any way, I sure would appreciate it. Woody
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:30 PM   #4

A week or two between print jobs suggests a CIS is probably not for you -- it'd be more bother than it's worth.

You might look into non-genuine carts or even refillables.

There are some around that are quite difficult to tell from the OEM inks, and with them you'd only flinch a bit instead of cringe...

You might avoid most of the head cleaning problems if you just ran a nozzle check every few days so the heads don't start to dry out.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:07 AM   #5

I'm with Idle on this one...

If the reason you don't print regularly is the cost aspect and you intend to print a LOT more, and more regularly then a CIS might be for you but in all honesty what you really need to be doing is trying to use the printer more, and spreading it out over time instead of every few weeks.

Inkjets will clog over time if you leave them idle so you need to keep them exercised.

In terms of cost/waste you actually use less ink, printing on a regular basis compared to leaving the printer turned off for a couple of weeks and running cleaning routines.

Fitting a waste ink tank to my Epson printers here has convinced me of that fact pretty darned quick..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I believe I've heard of a program that would have the printer print a test page every couple of days or so. Have you heard of it? I know...why can't you just run a test page the old fashion way? Well sometimes I don't think about it. I could print a full page "PRINT A TEST PAGE YA' JERK!" and stick it to the wall. That would probably be enough to jar my memory...but my wife would kill me. Thanks a bunch folks. I will take your advice. Woody
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:55 PM   #7

Hello,

I think you may be talking about MIS autoprint - it uses the windows scheduler to print a page every x number of days. .

http://www.inksupply.com/html/zip/refresh.zip

Hope that's of some help. .

All the best

Antony
antonyjcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 2:12 PM   #8

get a sis system u will never look back

they advise that u leave your printer turned on as turning off and on set of a head clean

the ink is so cheap to refill the system its not worth bothering about

i got some 100ml bottles for around £2 each and they will fill the system twice and i was told one full system was about 12 sets of carts at least!!

in the uk the systems are £40

mine is on a r200 and u can actualy get the waste ink pipe to exit printer and pop it into a bottle to collect the waste ink
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote