Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:45 PM   #1

Default canon i850 ink level monitor not working

I am on my second canon i850 because the first one didnt monitor the ink levels, and now the second one will not either, the ink levels are clearly about half gone and yet the status bar remains full, i am using a usb connection and i have a dell computer that is less than a year old, the printer prints great but the ink level monitor not working is very annoying, canon gave me no help so any ideas would be appreciated thanks
chuckpolzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:57 PM   #2

As I understand it, the i850 only tells you when the ink is low, it does not do a full time monitor and report the exact levels EVERY TIME you print.

But one of the great things about the Canon ink cartridges is you can open the hood any time and actually see the ink level in the clear cartridges REAL TIME for yourself :-)

BTW, the i850 sure does great photos huh :-)

Hope this helps...

- Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:40 PM   #3

That has half truths to it. Actually the printer has a print monitoring system in it that should tell you how much ink is in there at all times. Although if there is still ink in the sponge and not in the tank it wont work.

I still dont see how a 3 color printer could possibly be good for photos. The color gamut difference of a 3 color printer vs a 4 color is rather large.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:33 PM   #4

actually this printer puts out photos that easily rival the ones put out by the 6 color epsons like the 785 with that crappy card reader and the newer 820 , or wahtever that black one is , my school has both of these and they cant ever reproduce colors in photos without extensive tweaking plus they are incredibly loud and take forever, and you gotta love throwing out an entire ink set when one color runs out, thats good ole epson stability for you , make room for canon they will dominate the printer market in the future,

thanks for the advice with the ink monitor, i know it should do real time ink monitoring, but i still think that the level should go down when the sponge has ink because i though the lazer shoots into the well area not the sponge?
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:24 PM   #5

>>I still dont see how a 3 color printer could possibly be good for photos.<<

I don't know why you wouldn't trust me when I say the photos printed on my (3 color) i850 are stunning. :-)

Do you think I don't know a well printed photo when I see one? Do you think I'm sitting here looking at really bad photos and can't tell the difference? :-)

OK, I don't know you, and you don't know me, so why SHOULD you believe anything I have to say. At face value, thats fair enough.

Heres a quote from Steve's i850 review...

>>The actual print quality is outstanding, especially considering that it only uses three colors. For the majority of users out there the i850 will be all the printer they need to make photo-quality prints at home.<<

Steve actually uses the phrase "photo-quality prints" when referring to the output of the i850 :-)

Steve also goes on to say...

>>I put a print from my Canon S9000 next to an i850 print and you can see a difference, but it isn't all that much. It's amazing what Canon has been able to do with those 5pl and 2pl size ink droplets to make up for the missing photo cyan and photo magenta inks.<<

So perhaps you don't want to believe me or the others who own the i850, but I don't see how you could possibly doubt Steve :-)

- Ivan
[/i]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:31 PM   #6

Chuck...

Its my understanding that while the i850 does have an OPTICAL sensor, it only senses LOW INK. If I'm wrong, then my i850 is also broken, and so I suspect, is everyone elses :-)

But it doesn't really matter to me, if I want to see how much ink is left in the cyan cartridge, all I have to do is lift the cover and look right at the cyan cartridge. I don't need to have the printer driver guesstimate for me, and display a silly little ink icon, I can see the real ink in the real cartridge just by looking ;-)

- Ivan
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7

Eh. I'll still stick to my 980 I've seen the photos on the i850 and I still prefer my epson 980 which not only does a better print with 4 colors. It also does it for about half the price.

Also why would you use a inkjet to print photos at a cost of about 1 dollar per 4x6 print. When you can get a dye sub that prints faster at 40 cents a print. Or you can go to costco and do them for 20 cents a print. The only way an inkjet might be worth using for photos is if you use refills but then if you dont get the same ink your colors will be off. The only inkjet out there I really would consider getting for photos would be the epson 2200 because of its archival ability.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:09 AM   #8

I don't know whether the system on the i850/i950 is different, but I believe that the ink level system on the S820/S900 works as follows:
- The ink low/ink out messages are taken from the optical system and are accurate
- The ink levels shown in the status monitor are estimated. There appear to be situations in which they can get out of step with reality, for example, if you change a cartridge before the "ink out" message. This appears to be corrected the next time you change a cartridge after "ink out".

I don't think that opening the top and taking out a cartridge is a good way to check ink levels - on the S820 that I have this triggers head cleaning which uses a lot of ink.

On the photo print performance of the i850, the opinions of those posters on the dp-review site who own both an i850 and an S900 is that the i850 gives slightly better detail but the S900 has slightly better colours. Most prefer the S900 by a very small margin, but some prefer the i850 prints. I think that this makes the i850 the best 4 colour photo printer by a wide margin.

I don't know where the figure of $1 per 4x6 came from for inkjet printers. On my S820, using Ilford Galerie Classic papers and OEM inks, I calculate the cost to be about 75 cents per 8.5x11, and I can print 3 4x6's on an 8.5x11 page (2 long ways and one across).

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 4:39 PM   #9

hey guys thanks for the help , however, when i pull out the ink cartridge all together the system doesnt even recognize that a cartridge is missing, should this happen or shoul i get a display that an ink cartridge is out, ?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:53 PM   #10

Technically the ink display is an optical reflection sensor. Basically when the ink is out light is able to reflect off the top of the ink tank thus at this point it is out of ink. If you take the ink tank out it has nothing to reflect off of therfore it thinks that the ink tank is full and will operate as such.