Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:56 PM   #1

Whats the difference between the two? They are both at the same price point, and I was wondering if there are any important distinctions between them.

I'm looking for a printer that will print photos, and text documents, and give me good renditions of webpages. I've already ruled out the 4000.
andygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2

andygold wrote:
Quote:
Whats the difference between the two? They are both at the same price point, and I was wondering if there are any important distinctions between them.

I'm looking for a printer that will print photos, and text documents, and give me good renditions of webpages. I've already ruled out the 4000.
The 6000 is a 6 ink system using Ink Tanks: BCI-6Bk Black, BCI-6C Cyan, BCI-6M Magenta, BCI-6Y Yellow, BCI-6PC Photo Cyan, BCI-6PM Photo Magenta

The IP5000 is a 5 ink system that using 4 inks for photos and one pigment black for text.

I prefer the IP5000 for several reason:

1. Speed

2. Excellent Photo quality

3. 1 picoliter droplet

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...modelid9=10439

4. more nozzles

5. Better for text as well with 27ml of pigment black

6. Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta is hype.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:39 AM   #3

I would go with the new ChromaLife inks. The iP5200 and iP6600 are the new printers with that ink. BuyDig has the iP5200 for $160 including shipping. I think you would want a much better price than that to settle for the iP5000.

As a general purpose printer I think the iP5000 or iP5200 is the best choice. Text is darker and you have a lot more heavily pigmented black ink. The black ink in the photo printers has to work with the colors in a photo and generally aren't as strong. Steve in his conclusions seems to think the iP5200 prints photos extremely well. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...on_ip5200.html

I have a dedicated 6 color wide format photo printer, but I also have a general purpose printer with a large tank of dark black ink for normal printing. If I were going to have only one printer it would be a good general purpose printer like the iP5000 or 5200.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote