Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

I have the R300 CIS set up with exterior waste ink tank. I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to use pigmented ink for photos or stick with the dye ink? Will the print head, etc in the R300 handle pigmented inks? Thanks. Tom
tmcnevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:36 AM   #2

tmcnevin wrote:
Quote:
I have the R300 CIS set up with exterior waste ink tank. I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to use pigmented ink for photos or stick with the dye ink? Will the print head, etc in the R300 handle pigmented inks? Thanks. Tom
I haven't tried myself but I do know that the R300 is designed to use dyebase inks so at bare minimum if you decided to try using pigmented ink you'd want to get a colour profile to match.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it... Instead I'd think seriously about getting a reconditioned C84/86 or the newer C/D88 (D88 in the UK, C88 in the USA) and using pigmented inks from a reliable supplier (MIS, forumlabs, etc..). The C/D series printers are designed to handle pigmented inks...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:13 PM   #3

Received this e-mail from Epson today. Guess not.

The R300 cannot use the pigmented ink, it is only able to use the dye inkthat has been designed for it. Generally the dye ink yields a much better color output than the pigment ink but does not last quite as long (50-70 years vs. 100 years).
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:08 PM   #4

tmcnevin wrote:
Quote:

The R300 cannot use the pigmented ink, it is only able to use the dye inkthat has been designed for it. Generally the dye ink yields a much better color output than the pigment ink but does not last quite as long (50-70 years vs. 100 years).
Keep in mind it's a micropiezo system... so they are more tolerent of different media. Pigment is not the best idea as pigment is rougher on the heads... and in truth it's probally not designed for it. The question is whether a cheap printer like the r200 or even the r300 will print long enough on the pigmented inks to justify the bother and effort. Seriously the r800 costs so much not to speak of the r2400 that investing in 5 r200s might actually be cheaper. I know people do it, but I can't say how long it'll work.

If you have the time... you "could" buy a r200 on sale, sell the ink on e-bay so your investment is sub $50. Buy some pigmented ink in cartridges with r200 chips and see how it goes. If it goes belly up.... your loss is minimal. If it works well you have your self a passable pigment printer for a fraction of the cost. It's a risk, I don't take any accountability for your loss... but it might be fun.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:57 AM   #5

After lots of inquiring I will stick with the dye based inks. Epson tech says the biggest difference is longivity of the photo. Dye base is better for color and if it starts to fade after 70 years I will just print another off the chip. Can you imagine where the technology will be in this field in just another 2 years let alone 70 years. All this may be history. Remember our first computers and cameras from themid 80's.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:29 PM   #6

tmcnevin wrote:
Quote:
After lots of inquiring I will stick with the dye based inks. Epson tech says the biggest difference is longivity of the photo. Dye base is better for color and if it starts to fade after 70 years I will just print another off the chip. Can you imagine where the technology will be in this field in just another 2 years let alone 70 years. All this may be history. Remember our first computers and cameras from themid 80's.
Keep in mind while sub $200 consumer level printers are new, and even a high technology... printing and ink are one of the oldest techonologies. People did perfectly well taking the ashes from the fire putting them in their mouth and spitting on rock faces... and many of those early forms of art.. for example a silhouette of someone's hand or a pictorial of hunting wild game... have lasted 10's of thousands of years. I actually wonder at times what the issue is with printing.. given that a man with a 5ml delilvery system outlasts many of my prints.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 12:11 PM   #7

I tried pigment based inks in my R200(same engine), using refillable cartridges. Ittook about 5refills to clog the heads, but the printouts looked nice. The printer had to be trashed. Nothing would clean the heads.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 2:13 PM   #8

jim5554 or anyone who has tried pigment inks, did you guys use any special ICC profile with the kit? I just installed one but not sure what settings best - I'm trying out different papers as well (matte paper better with pigment?).

Regards,
Arch

PS: please feel free to email me: drjoe@shaw.ca if anyone has tips...

Archimago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:48 AM   #9

I had pigment inks specially formulated for Epson R210 (T0491-T0496) by an ink company in South Korea. I have been using the inks in refillable cartridges in Epson R230 for about four months now with no problems at all. Straight out of the printer using standard settings I get perfect prints (gloss or matt paper) which are superior to the dye based ink photos, the only thing is the blacks look a bit flat on photos with a lot of dark area, but that is the characteristics of pigment inks. Also, printing on ordinary plain paper is inferior to dye inks, but I only use the printer for photo work. Images on mat paper are absolutely stunning

No problems with clogging heads or sponge tank in cartridge giving a problem during this period, even if the printer is not used for one week or more, a perfect nozzle test pattern is always printed first go. I have sold the inks to several customers and nobody has come back with a problem. The ink is about 45% more expensive than dye ink, but if refilling, this means an A4 colour print cost about A$0.20 against about A$0.14 for dye inks
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:13 AM   #10

Hello All;
I just purchased a new R230 printer and have spent many hours investigating bulk inks, non-OEM inks and OEM inks for this printer. Based on what I have found out and on some tests I have run, I believe that OEM inks from Canon for this and other printers which use the T048xx series of cartridges use a Pigment based Dye Ink in there black cartridge (T048120) only! The remaining 5 cartridges of colored Dye based inks are Pigment free. One of the clues to this at least for me, was when I tried to print several images on some old generic photo paper and the portion where the black was intense took on a cracking appearance. Upon further investigation I was told that this was a problem with some photo papers and Pigment based Dye inks. Further to that one has only to look at the cost of Canon black versus the 5 colored cartridges and one will often see a price difference. In addition comments from many users who have switched to bulk ink system remark that the black color seen on new photo's are much more intense. This is due to the dampening effect given off by Pigmented inks.
These are my thoughts and maybe I could be wrong but let us through this out for discussion, OK!

Canuk_Al is offline   Reply With Quote