Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1

Has anyone used the continuous ink system for the ip4000? Is it dependable and trouble-free?

I'm using the ip4000 mainly for printing CD's. Is it really more economical or is the cost in purchasing the system outweigh the savings?

Thanks for the feedback.
rhgindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:50 AM   #2

CIS is for very high volume. Unless you are printing thousands of CDs you might find the most economic approach is to refill the tanks you have. If you are printing thousands, CIS is economic.

An Aussie who sometimes posts here suggested a blue polymer putty they sell overseas. I found a US alternative in a Super Glue product called Handi-Tak. A package will last a lifetime and it is a lot easier for sealing than messing with rubber balls. I can have all of my tanks out, refilled, sealed and reinstalled in 15 minutes, and could probably do it in 5 if pressed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:06 AM   #3

slipe wrote:
Quote:
CIS is for very high volume. Unless you are printing thousands of CDs you might find the most economic approach is to refill the tanks you have. If you are printing thousands, CIS is economic.

An Aussie who sometimes posts here suggested a blue polymer putty they sell overseas. I found a US alternative in a Super Glue product called Handi-Tak. A package will last a lifetime and it is a lot easier for sealing than messing with rubber balls. I can have all of my tanks out, refilled, sealed and reinstalled in 15 minutes, and could probably do it in 5 if pressed.
thanks slipe.

could you give me more details about refilling my tanks. are you suggesting the oem ink cartridges supplied with the ip4000 can be refilled? where is the refill opening? and is that where i would use the handi-tak (to cover the hole).

i refill my hewlett-packard cartridges now, but i notice after several refills i have to buy new cartridges because the interface (which seems to have copper and other stuff) starts to leak. how long can i refill these oem canon cartridges before i need new ones?

thanks again.
rhgindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:57 PM   #4

I refill my OEM cartridges. I have no idea how long they last. They don't have the print heads in the cartridge like HP, but I do think they have a limited life. I've refilled my color carts maybe 5 times each and my large black probably 7 or 8. So far no problems.

You can punch out the ball or just drill a hole. I prefer the hole because my needles are small. Since you want the hole on the opposite side from the opening for the printer, you will have to seal the opening before you refill. Electrical tape seems to work best.

Don't buy universal ink refill kits. You need ink specifically for your printer. I have always been happy with inksupply.com and have been using their ink for almost a decade. You would probably want to avoid the ChromaLife ink replacement as it isn't designed for the iP4000.

You will find the Canon color carts easier to refill than the HP color. They aren't as fussy about overfilling and you can see the ink go in. The HP black was easier because I got a set screw to fit the hole where the ball pushed out and it was a snap. You don't have to create a vacuum in the Canon carts like you do with the HP black. No need to press the sides before sealing them in other words.

I liked the refill instructions from here better than MIS: http://oddparts.com/ They were the ones suggesting the set screw for the HP.

If you have good quality pigmented black ink for your HP it will probably work OK in the Canon. I used up the rest of my pint of black and it worked fine. I think the good pigmented black from MIS is the same as the WJ1010 ink from Oddparts. You will notice Oddparts sells WJ1010 for both HP and the iP4000. Don't use your leftover HP color ink in the Canon.

The smallest size Oddparts sells is a pint, which is a bit much for color. MIS sells in smaller sizes.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:44 PM   #5

rhgindc wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone used the continuous ink system for the ip4000? Is it dependable and trouble-free?

I'm using the ip4000 mainly for printing CD's. Is it really more economical or is the cost in purchasing the system outweigh the savings?

Thanks for the feedback.
You didnt' specify which iP4000 system you were referring to so I don't know which you have in mind.

For what it's worth I've installed the MIS Associates iP4000 CIS kit on an MP750 which uses the iP4000 printer unit to handle the printing functionality and it works like a charm.

A few things to look out for though.

1. Put a wedge between the cartridge clips (closest to you when you install the carts) and the cart ends themselves.. This stops the carts from their annoying habit of unclipping and losing their airtight seal with the print feed heads.

2. Be sure you get the tube pathway right and experiment with the length of tubing that extends out of the clip before it reaches the carts. Too long and it will get trapped by the print head... too short and it stretches which will cause undue stress to the tubing. Common sense but experimentation is required.

3. When you first install the cartridges into the printer, make sure you use some kind of clamps or crimp on the tubing to stop ink flowing while you do it... If you don't it becomes an unholy mess.

4. Be sure that the ink reservoirs are around the same height as the print head to ensure good feed... Too high and it'll free flow, too low and it won't run to the carts properly.

Other than that, my system works, even if it's non-standard... and it's well worth it.

If you opt to go for a CIS, I'd be interested in your experiences, and your own tips on http://www.continuousink.info/ as it all helps.

Hope that helps...

Martin
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote