Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:52 AM   #1

Just got my new R300 installed and running (gotta love night shifts) and all I can say is wow ! The detail and color this thing gives is very nice ! I'm an Epson fan and have had my CX5400 for just about 2 years now and it's been a real workhorse...it'sthe default for4of the boxeson our network and on some days, when the homeworkand school project load is heavy,itprints for an hour solid!...oh andyes I'm tankful that I got a CISS for it...kidswere happy with it too cause now I don't groan anymore about having to re-filland reset the carts :GAnyway since I got my Z20 I've taken lots of shots and now have a bunch of keepers that I'd like to display so others can admire my work...I mean archiving them on thePC or a CD is finefor me when I want to view thembut that's boring for the rest of the world. Soto make a long story shorter I tried printing some of the keepers off with the CX5400...they turned out okay but the color and quality was off compared to print samplesI've seen from the newer more photo specific type printers of late, like those from HP and Canon.So why anEpson R300 and not a similar pricedHP or Canon ? Wellthe first reason is that we use Linux on all but one ofthe 5systems on our home network...printing support forbrands other than Epson or HP is lacking in Linux.Second reason is thatEpson's R200 or R300series hasCD & DVD printing capabilities and lastly the onlineinformation and aftermarket supportnetwork for Epson printers is outstanding...like there aremany CISS kits,refillable carts with hacked chipsand otherhard parts within a few clicks of the mouse. So I went shopping,Future shop had R200's for $115.99 after rebates and 2 of the local Staples hadR300'sfor $139.99 after rebates...I'll probablynever use the direct printing features of the 300 but for the 25 bucksdifference I opted for some bells'n' whistlesimpress your friends stuff All in all after printing adozen or sophotos of various sizes on the Staples brand"Pro Grade"10mil photo paper I have to say I'm really impressed and am glad I went with another Epson...and the difference in color and quality compared to those that I have recently printed with the CX5400 leaves me smiling. As well I'm sitting here digging throughour box of traditional photo lab photos and comparing them to the ones I printed with the R300...I can't see a difference at all really and am very happy !

Oh yea, I just placed my order for an R300 compatibleCISS...with Staples reasonably priced photo paper and a CISS I'm going to burn the print head right off this bad boy :|
Z20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:24 AM   #2

I would also recommed you do the exterior Waste Ink Tank modification on the R300. Mine is 3 weeks old and I am amazed at the volume of ink discharged as waste. Real easy modification. Read the articles on this. Took me 5 minutes to do. If not when your waste ink tank sponges fill the printer will stop. With photos you will generate lots of waste ink discharge. Tom
Attached Images

tmcnevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:06 PM   #3

Yep I had read those posts prior to buying the printer, have a 1oz canister and some velcro dots set aside...might install it this morningwhen I get home.
Z20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:02 PM   #4

I went down and bought some extra tubing to be able to place the canister where I wanted it. The one that comes out of the back is only about 1.5" long. I just bought the next size up and slid the one from the printer inside the extension. Used some scotch tape to make sure the connection did not come loose. Put about 1/2 " inside the extension. I was happy today to find out I can refill all the ink in the system (4oz 120ml containers) for $42.00 and about $5 for shipping. Cost is $7 each with the syringe to refill. I have been printing like crazy and have used up about 1/3 of the original ink. I will wait till I am about 2/3 out then re-order. Takes 3 days tops for delivery. I am with you, I am going to see how long it takes to burn this R300 to the ground. I got mine from Epson as a refurbished for $99.00 and free shipping. That is cheap enough to burn er up. See ya.
tmcnevin is offline   Reply With Quote