Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1

This may be one of those, "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this," questions, but here goes. I just purchased the Canon ip5200. I'm printing out a variety of 4x6 pictures to check for quality and color. I've noticed a couple things that I'm questioning.

1) If I angle the picture 45 degrees from being straight in front of me, I can see a few very thin lines of flat color. The correct color is printed but the lines are visible. While viewing the picture straight on, you cannot see the lines. Is this a problem or, should I quit looking at the pictures from the side view? I can easily exchange the printer.

2) I've noticed that with faces, I often get an oversaturated reddish face. Can this be handled with profiles or software? I'm too cheap to print out dozens of test pictures!Is anyoneusing profiles with this printer? (ie, manual color/intensity adjustments).

Thanks for any feedback.

art

artseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

Lots of information needs to be known first:

1. What paper are you using ?

2. Did you do a automatic printhead alignment ?

3. Did you use the bottom feeder or top feeder ?

4. What resolution were the pictures ?

5. What software was used ?

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:15 PM   #3

As KnightCrawlwe suggests, you are probably doing something other than best quality on glossy Canon Paper Pro. You could also be processing the images in such a way you aren't ending up with good resolution. Be careful how you crop and resize. But with best quality from a high resolution image on glossy photo paper it should look pretty much like a photo from the photofinisher – at any angle.

I have found that Canon Easy Photo Print enhances the photo a little even if you don't have any enhancements selected. I don't use it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Here's the scoop.

1) Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy

2) Did the automatic printhead alignment

3) Bottom Feeder

4) 2500 x 1900 Pixels, 5 mp

5) Printed both through Picasa II and Photoimpact 11

Also, I am printing at the highest quality I can select, I assume. Again, the thin horizontal lines are a flat finish with the correct color. Same place in every picture.

Thanks,

Art
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

artseattle wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Here's the scoop.

1) Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy

2) Did the automatic printhead alignment

3) Bottom Feeder

4) 2500 x 1900 Pixels, 5 mp

5) Printed both through Picasa II and Photoimpact 11

Also, I am printing at the highest quality I can select, I assume. Again, the thin horizontal lines are a flat finish with the correct color. Same place in every picture.

Thanks,

Art

Might be the bottom feeder causing it, that Glossy paper is 10.5mil thick which has to do a U-turn in the printer. It would be better to use the top feeder, it has a more straight through path.

PS: can we get a screenshot of said lines ?

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:15 PM   #6

It would be hard to take a screenshot that would show the lines. However, here's some more data. Running the paper through the top autofeed eliminated almost all of the lines. Barely visible but still a few in mostly the same place. The main lines are almost exactly one inch from the horizonal edge running horizonally.

Idid not see any lines on a 8 1/2 x 11 printed on Canon Glossy Photo Paper (clearly thinner than Photo Paper Plus).

Thanks again!

Art
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:22 PM   #7

Sometimes it the driver your using.

Maybe try to print with a Canon print utility.

Have you installed and or/updated your Canon print drivers?

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:07 PM   #8

Hmm. Interesting. I just got off the phone with a very helpful Canon tech. He suggested that I use their Easy Photo-print software since it "knows exactly how much ink to lay down." So, no lines if I use the top feed. Still has them on the lower. I hate to have to use yet another piece of software. He also said I could return the printer for another but it might have the same problem (rollers too tight for the thicker paper).

Is this it?

Thanks,

art

Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:12 AM   #9

artseattle wrote:
Quote:
It would be hard to take a screenshot that would show the lines. However, here's some more data. Running the paper through the top autofeed eliminated almost all of the lines. Barely visible but still a few in mostly the same place. The main lines are almost exactly one inch from the horizonal edge running horizonally.

Idid not see any lines on a 8 1/2 x 11 printed on Canon Glossy Photo Paper (clearly thinner than Photo Paper Plus).

Thanks again!

Art

There is a setting to prevent paper abrasion in the printer properties (at least the ip4000 drivers have it)

It is located under the maintenance tab in custom settings. You might give that a try.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:26 PM   #10

Thanks, I tried that. It didn't help. The Canon tech told me that that option is primarily for very thick paper. He also said that on standard photo paper the quality can be affected.

Although the effective workaround for my problem is to use the Easy Photoprint software and stick to the top feed, I'm still exchanging the printer. The tech thinks I should be able to get one that doesn't abrade the glossy finish.

Art