Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

I'm debating whether to purchase the Canon IP5200 or IP5200R.

The IP5200R has the wireless print feature.

Has anyone tried the wireless print feature? Is it difficult to set up the wireless, is it dependable, does it slow down printing?

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:00 PM   #2

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
I'm debating whether to purchase the Canon IP5200 or IP5200R.

The IP5200R has the wireless print feature.

Has anyone tried the wireless print feature? Is it difficult to set up the wireless, is it dependable, does it slow down printing?

-- Terry

I have no direct experence with the ip5200R but I understand the protocals involved. If talking standard usb 2.0 we're talking speeds of 12mbit a second.... speeds technicaly slower that parallel ECP on a good day but for some odd reason even old USB seems faster. USB2.0 hi speed is 480mbit a second which is supported on the canon ip5200.

usb 2.0 1,572,864 characters/second
usb 2.0 high speed 534,773,760 characters a second

Given that a page of data contains on average 3072 characters not taking into account fonts, colors and such... and given it takes seconds to print a page the protocal is not the bottle neck but rather mechanics.

Photos on the other hand contain much more data. Let's assume 600 DPI, full color 8 bits (256 shades) per color. Each dot represents the equilivent of three characters.

------------------------------------------------------
( 600inx600in ) x 3 = 360,000 per sq inch.
8inx10in = 80 sq inch
-----
28,800,000 byes, or 28mega byes or 224 mbits
@usb regular speed 18seconds
@usb high speed 1/2 second

Given that mechanical speed of printing is slower than both these figures not an issue
------------------------------------------------------

The ip5200R has wireless 802.11b and 802.11G rated at a max of 12mbit and 54mbit respectivly. Strictly speaking reality will be slower than max, i've seen as low as 1mbit across a house for wifi, and even for computers next to eachother 12mbit isn't unusual for wifi.

1mbit = 3.73min for 600dpi full page
12mbit = 18 seconds
54mbit= 4 seconds

Assuming 2.4min per 600dpi full page photo... it's possible if the printer is so far out of range your speed is 1mbit that a photo might take longer to print assuming 2.4min is a valid estimate of typical color photo printing speed.... and I repeat *might*. Under normal conditions the mechanical speed of the printer is so much slower than communication to it that a drop in speed will not affect print speed provided the printer within the light of site of your base station. While it's reasonable to ask about speed, and technicaly since the printer supports USB high speed WiFi is technicaly slower even on a good day... in the end the speed of printing is limited by mechanics more so than communication.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:24 PM   #3

zakezuki,

I understand what your saying.

I have wireless g, so basically, a 4x6 photo would take about 4 seconds to wirelessly transmit the file to the printer, whereas the IP5200 is a pretty fast printer and prints the image in about 40-50 seconds.

So 4 seconds to sent the print is not a big deal, essentially.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:42 PM   #4

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
zakezuki,

I understand what your saying.

I have wireless g, so basically, a 4x6 photo would take about 4 seconds to wirelessly transmit the file to the printer, whereas the IP5200 is a pretty fast printer and prints the image in about 40-50 seconds.

So 4 seconds to sent the print is not a big deal, essentially.

Terry

Actually I was assuming 8x10 (80sq inch) at 600dpi and using the speed listed on canon's site, best case scenero.

600 dpi 24 bit color for a 4x6 would be [(600x600)*24]/1024]bits to kbits/1024 kbits to mbits = 8.2mbits.

wireless G
best speed 54mbit/sec = .15 seconds
1/2 speed = .3 seconds
1/4 speed= .6 seconds
1mbit (far away through walls) 8.2 seconds

Do keep in mind my numbers are based on streaming speed... and the printer's buffer is only 42KB or 336kbit. To translate into non tech terms it's not like handing someone a phone book to read, but rather handing them a page at a time... and the speed at which they can say "give me another page" and "stop" will affect the speed of the exchange, but no so much because they can hold two pages, one to read and the other to read next while with the free hand jesture for another page. But as you see in this example the transfer speed of the phone book is not the critical factor but rather the speed of the guy reading it.

To visualise a phonebook has roughly 10KB of data on it, or 80kbits. Wireless speed is between 691.2 pages (@ 54mbit)/sec or at worst 12.8 pages/second.

But yes, while a faster transfer speed might improve efficency (give me more, stop).... printing is so slow in contrast that you have to have a very bad connection in order for it to even possibly affect print speed by any amount you can measure, and even then it's gotta be a picture as text represents only 8 bits per character, or in more simple terms very little information per square inch.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:45 PM   #5

Additional...

Any network ready printer is going to take a cheaper cable, one which will allow you to use a wire that has a maximium distance of 100meters... wire that costs in builk under 10cents/foot. So even if wireless isn't your bag, wired network is still handy. Plus printer sharing without a pc being on is also handy.